Best screen size for my laptop?

Go to solution Solved by I am an SSD,
1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

. So do you think I should go for a 17 inch laptop weighting around 6 pounds, or go for something smaller between 13 to 15 inch?

Thanks

15 inch for sure. imo anything more or less is a little inconvenient for the things you said you'll be doing with it. 

Hi,

I'm a developer and I'm currently using a 23 inch monitor for my work, and I'm considering getting a second one for productivity and occasional gaming. That's to say that I love big screens. However, I'm going to buy a laptop for when I'm not at home and I'm not sure which size to pick. I have a 10 inch Asus Transformer tablet (running Android) that I use at college to take notes, but at some point I will something more advanced to write code. So I will need to go to college occasionally with the laptop, write a lot of code during boot camps, or visit my clients to show them how I'm doing with their project, and I will sometimes need to travel for weeks and I would like to have an experience similar to the one I have at home, with a large screen and a large keyboard. On a plane for example, I would like being able to watch movies/podcasts; play games or work and feel like home. So do you think I should go for a 17 inch laptop weighting around 6 pounds, or go for something smaller between 13 to 15 inch?

Thanks

PS : I don't have a huge budget, so the 17 inch laptops I'm interested in have a 1600x900 resolution, while the smaller ones have a 1280x768 one.

The weight of the laptop is what you can carry on your back or shoulder. I've got a 4.4 pound laptop and the weight is satisfying. Here is a link to it on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/K501UX-15-inch-Gaming-Processor-Windows/dp/B0146DD02G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1461594525&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+k501lx

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

. So do you think I should go for a 17 inch laptop weighting around 6 pounds, or go for something smaller between 13 to 15 inch?

Thanks

15 inch for sure. imo anything more or less is a little inconvenient for the things you said you'll be doing with it. 

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

For something mobile, imo I won't go further than 15.6".

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

3 minutes ago, I am an SSD said:

3 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

For something mobile, imo I won't go further than 15.6".

Thanks for your replies. That's what I thought. I'll try to find something quite light.

8 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Thanks for your replies. That's what I thought. I'll try to find something quite light.

A 14 or 15 inch laptop sounds right for you, I have a 15 inch HP laptop and, for my needs it's a bit much, but for what you're doing that sounds about right.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

9 minutes ago, Paralectic said:

15.6" is fine, 17.3" is too heavy, 13" is too small but a little lighter.

3 minutes ago, EpicAdom said:

A 14 or 15 inch laptop sounds right for you, I have a 15 inch HP laptop and, for my needs it's a bit much, but for what you're doing that sounds about right.

Thanks for your replies. I'm now looking for a good deal, so I'm going to write a new post in the CPU section to see what would be the best fit.

Ditto 14-15" is a happy medium. Any less and you sacrifice high end performance parts. Any bigger and it wont fit in the pouch of any "normal" backpacks. On that not be careful with some of the fatter more powerful 15" units as you will also struggle.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact