My Future PC Build

1 minute ago, ArashiG said:

Hmm, so from what I'm hearing, more performance, but it'll be hella hot in a room. 

Not quite. As long as you have a good CPU cooler and don't push the overclock too hard, your temps should be fine.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Hmm, how about the CPU? I heard the FX-6300 was real good.

for the money. the i5 outperforms the FX-6300. And dont go AMD processor now. they are VERY old and not worth it any more. intel dual cores outperform them. Only recommended if on a really tight budget.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

for the money. the i5 outperforms the FX-6300. And dont go AMD processor now. they are VERY old and not worth it any more. intel dual cores outperform them. Only recommended if on a really tight budget.

Ahh I see. If i5, then maybe like i5-6600.

3 minutes ago, ArashiG said:

Hmm, so from what I'm hearing, more performance, but it'll be hella hot in a room. 

No. LIke mine is overclocked on a not very good cooler , actually a stock cooler which is the bare minimum. And i max out at 85C. So it wont be hot.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

Oh, and as for the motherboard. Still confused for it. Any recommendations? Or stick with the current original?

Oh, and as for the motherboard. Still confused for it. Any recommendations? Or stick with the current original?

if you are going with the overclockable processor, then yes

Build

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Not quite. As long as you have a good CPU cooler and don't push the overclock too hard, your temps should be fine.

Is the process of overclocking simple? Or complicated?

Is the process of overclocking simple? Or complicated?

It's pretty straightforward. You basically just adjust the multiplier and voltage and stress test it.

Plenty of guides online as well.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

It's pretty straightforward. You basically just adjust the multiplier and voltage and stress test it.

Huh, thought it was complicated...lol.

14 minutes ago, ArashiG said:

You might want to go with the i5-6600k, you can overclock the i5-6600 but that is more complicated but there are guides online. But for the extra 10 or so bucks i would say that the i5-6600k is better

Build

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, DeezNoNos said:

You might want to go with the i5-6600k, you can overclock the i5-6600 but that is more complicated but there are guides online. But for the extra 10 or so bucks i would say that the i5-6600k is better

Hmm, yeah, now that I think about it, I'll go with the i5-6600k. 

32 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Oh hey, I checked out a few guides for the overclocking. I noticed on the value though...would 4.6 or something be a good recommendation?

Just now, ArashiG said:

Oh hey, I checked out a few guides for the overclocking. I noticed on the value though...would 4.6 or something be a good recommendation?

YES

Build

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, ArashiG said:

It's a decent overclock. I think you could go higher with Skylake processors though.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Or he could keep his parts and the assurance of quality-control with a high-end Z170 MSI board, and get a 6600k to overclock and a 390x instead, seeing as he appears to be willing to spend up to $1600 anyway.

I wonder if there's something in the parts list competition that I can recommend...

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

His part list is a lot less frugal than his quote, but sure, @Shahnewaz has the best possible build for the buck, and he's left room for the Viewsonic VX 2457 75Hz 1080p freesync monitor and some nice peripherals too.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/viewsonic-monitor-vx2457mhd

Gee, thanks man, but let me be clear; I'm really not trying to be the first one to post an un-beatable part list, nor I'm competing with other forum members for the best part lists. My mission is simple. Just like you, I try to get people to buy the best of what they want, while spending the least. If you or anyone gets a post sooner than me recommending such part lists, I'll gladly drop an agree or a thumbs up and move on. Makes my life a lot easier.

All I really care about in threads like these is someone, at least one post suggesting a build that gets an acceptable performance per dollar. It's all really for the peoples' benefit, not me. (Yeah, I'll get some of duh internet pointz, but I couldn't care less.)

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

34 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Gee, thanks man, but let me be clear; I'm really not trying to be the first one to post an un-beatable part list, nor I'm competing with other forum members for the best part lists. My mission is simple. Just like you, I try to get people to buy the best of what they want, while spending the least. If you or anyone gets a post sooner than me recommending such part lists, I'll gladly drop an agree or a thumbs up and move on. Makes my life a lot easier.

All I really care about in threads like these is someone, at least one post suggesting a build that gets an acceptable performance per dollar. It's all really for the peoples' benefit, not me. (Yeah, I'll get some of duh internet pointz, but I couldn't care less.)

I didn't say you were competing against other users, nor do I give a toss about internet points. I just think that builds around this price point will play out similarly. I, for one, wouldn't have changed anything about it. As a result, it provides appreciable value and helps OP get an idea of what a well-optimized gaming build is with today's hardware and pricing. 

Let me be clear: The 'competition' was just something @BingoFishy, myself, and a few others undertook to come up with the best-optimized build for the money at several different price points. The intent was to create a database which members could refer to later. It wasn't an opportunity for us to upset one-another in some kind of silly tournament; we just wanted to use each others' suggestions and criticism to improve upon builds in various brackets. 

I'm sorry if the impression varied, but I'm just trying to help.

31 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I didn't say you were competing against other users, nor do I give a toss about internet points. I just think that builds around this price point will play out similarly. I, for one, wouldn't have changed anything about it. As a result, it provides appreciable value and helps OP get an idea of what a well-optimized gaming build is with today's hardware and pricing. 

Let me be clear: The 'competition' was just something @BingoFishy, myself, and a few others undertook to come up with the best-optimized build for the money at several different price points. The intent was to create a database which members could refer to later. It wasn't an opportunity for us to upset one-another in some kind of silly tournament; we just wanted to use each others' suggestions and criticism to improve upon builds in various brackets. 

I'm sorry if the impression varied, but I'm just trying to help.

Thanks. Just..... thanks. I didn't expect this much goodwill to come out of a forum I escaped a year ago, but thanks. :^)

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

46 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Thanks. Just..... thanks. I didn't expect this much goodwill to come out of a forum I escaped a year ago, but thanks. :^)

I mean, most of us like computers. Those of us who are up to date with value-oriented components and configurations might seek to discuss them when the opportunity arises- often to each other's benefit.

Also, a toxic environment doesn't annul the possibility of genuine goodwill, and that said, the community here at LTT is a lot warmer than others I've encountered. There are countless users who actually like to help others out, and I think that's quite a sight in this day and age.