Laptop for college?

Jordaneer

I know this probably isn't the correct sub for this topic, but it made the most sense to me, I'm going to be in college next fall, and I really need a new laptop, my current laptop is old and decrepit, I would like it to be able to do some light content creation (and maybe some gaming) if possible and 3d modeling if needed. I also don't have a ton of money (under $1000), which I know is kind of a conundrum that is kind of hard to address, and to me the main laptop that I keep coming back to is the dell inspiron 15 7559 non touch model with a 6700hq, it has a relatively decent screen, decent discrete graphics, and I could stick a second ram stick in for 16 gb of ram. http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?3x_nav=PROC_BRAND%3DCORE_I7_6&3x_page=1&filterCollapsed=true I what are your guy's opinions, I would probably end up sticking in a m.2 ssd as well as the ram for a laptop.

Are there any other decent laptops with those specs in that price range?

check out either the xps laptops from dell, ASUS laptops, or if you want to go for gaming an MSI or Alienware laptop

That's probably one of the best laptops for the price. Occasionally you will get deals on higher speced xps, msi or asus laptops. I wouldn't reccomend a heavy gaming laptop for college. A high performance ultrabook is much better for portability, will get you decent specs but is a little pricier. 

the 7559 is a great laptop, my son bought one and it has almost the same specs as my msi gt72 but has way more battery life and works great for his college schedule, 

check some deals here

http://slickdeals.net/deals/laptop/

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

30 minutes ago, tahmidkhan123 said:

That's probably one of the best laptops for the price. Occasionally you will get deals on higher speced xps, msi or asus laptops. I wouldn't reccomend a heavy gaming laptop for college. A high performance ultrabook is much better for portability, will get you decent specs but is a little pricier. 

Honestly, my current laptop is 17.3 inch 7 pound sandy bridge Gateway laptop, I considered that relatively portable, so in all honesty, anything smaller is definitely going to be more portable. And I like the large screen, I would rather have a better laptop if it's slightly larger and more heavy as opposed to an ultrabook.

48 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

check out either the xps laptops from dell, ASUS laptops, or if you want to go for gaming an MSI or Alienware laptop

Asus has a couple decent ones in the price range, xps is quite a bit more expensive, and they don't often have a dedicated GPU, haven't checked out MSI yet though.

1 minute ago, Jordaneer said:

Asus has a couple decent ones in the price range, xps is quite a bit more expensive, and they don't often have a dedicated GPU, haven't checked out MSI yet though.

msi is mostly gaming laptops. Asus is probably your best bet.