grammar question

technovore

My friends and I were having a dispute over a sentence. He said: "You should've run away" while I claimed the correct phrasing is "You should've ran away". Which of us is right and why?

I'm such a grammarnazi ololol....
Thanks for helping!

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

"Ran away" is correct.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

The fact that you didn't know the answer, means you aren't a very good grammar Nazi.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I am forced to honorably discharge you. Please hand over your swastika by the end of the day.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

The fact that you didn't know the answer, means you aren't a very good grammar Nazi.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I am forced to honorably discharge you. Please hand over your swastika by the end of the day.

Darnit, I worked years for that badge....I'll earn it back by naziing(is that even correct?) all over this forum :P

Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

Darnit, I worked years for that badge....I'll earn it back by naziing(is that even correct?) all over this forum :P

I'm sorry Kamerad, it's going to be hard with you missing spaces and not ending your sentences with proper punctuation. Maybe you're more fit for a kitchen role, instead of combating on the front lines.

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I'm sorry Kamerad, it's going to be hard with you missing spaces and not ending your sentences with proper punctuation. Maybe you're more fit for a kitchen role, instead of combating on the front lines.

No.....no...I can do this, I swear! Don't take this away from me, It's all I have. You don't know what it's like to be a foreigner and grow up on the internet!

Chivalry isn't dead!

My friend has stated the following:

My guts tell me it should be 'should've ran away' as well, because it just feels and sounds right. However, what makes me have these terrible, haunting, keep me up all night doubts, is the fact that you need a past participle right there. It's like I should've BEEN there/ I should've GONE (to the party)'

Now both BEEN and GONE are the past participles of 'to be' and 'to go'. So why would you need the past simple of 'to run' there? The past participle of 'to run' is 'run'. Ran is the past simple.

Please remove this burden of my shoulders.

I don't know any of the grammatical terminology, but is he right?

Chivalry isn't dead!

No.....no...I can do this, I swear! Don't take this away fomr me, It's all I have. You don't know what it's like to be a foreigner and grow up on the internet!

I know what it's like, English isn't my native language. I will ask Führer about giving you a second chance, but I can't make any promises.

I know what it's like, English isn't my native language. I will ask Führer about giving you a second chance, but I can't make any promises.

What is your native language?

edit: something tells me you're Swiss.

Chivalry isn't dead!

My friend told me to post this link here, it's too technical for me but maybe someone can understand it.

Chivalry isn't dead!

Ran is past tense

Run is present tense

So since you are talking about something that already happened it would be "Ran away"

You wouldn't say "I'm going to go for a ran later tonight"

Also for a a so called grammar Nazi your sentence is full of grammatical errors.

It would be My friends and I, While I claimed, and not an, Thanks not tnx.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Ran is past tense

Run is present tense

So since you are talking about something that already happened it would be "Ran away"

You wouldn't say "I'm going to go for a ran later tonight"

Also for a a so called grammar Nazi your sentence is full of grammatical errors.

It would be My friends and I, While I claimed, and not an, Thanks not tnx.

Interesting, I fixed my post but I have a remark. "run" as in "to go for a run" is a noun and therefore is not viable to conjugasion.

Chivalry isn't dead!