Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CommandMan7

AMD's Stock Price Skyrockets 52% in a Single Day

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the stock graph what so ever. You can change the time span on it, and it contains all the numbers you need, without even looking at the graph. If people are too dumb to understand such a simple graph, then I'm sure they have absolutely no use for the information it holds, as extremely dumb people shouldn't be in the stock trading market to begin with.

Page up and page down of graph nonsense. Graphs should always be made to suit the need of the user. In this case the smaller changes are the important ones. Not a 5 year span. Having it start on 0 would make the graph less detailed and/or much bigger. It makes no sense. Learn to read a graph. You should have it in math class in 4-5th grade in elementary school. I guess they are more qualified for stock trading than people whining about the graph in here :dry:

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

The graph could go back a little further, but that's just to change the perspective, not the facts.

I root for the red team so this is good news to me.

On 4/23/2016 at 3:01 PM, Enderman said:

Yeah! :D You get it!

I know this whole graph thing is over but I just wanted to make sure you got this. You need to be aware that the people looking at stock charts are not necessarily concerned with what the price is. The graphs are designed to illustrate the PERCENTAGE change in price, not the actual price. If a stock jumped from $1 to $1.50 that's not much to you or me but to a stock trader that's tremendous and the graphs are created to illustrate the change in an exaggerated way. That way a move in the price of a stock that's trading at $100 will be interpreted similarly to a stock trading at $1... in terms of percentage change.

On 4/23/2016 at 5:03 AM, Fooshi said:

I desperately wanted to invest some cash in AMD when it was at its low point around 1.80-ish  earlier this year.

Someone please ELI5 how to stocks.

In stocks there is a primary market, and secondary market.  Primary market, you trade with the company directly.  Secondary market, you trade with a financial institution who owns the stock of a particular company.  In the primary market, there is a minimum purchase required (1 million dollars usually) and a minimum hold time.  In the secondary market, there is no limitations but the financial institution may charge fees.  For all of us (probably), we trade in the secondary market.

To trade in the secondary market, you have to get a brokerage account.  Not all brokerage accounts are the same, some are reputable, some flat out suck.  Reputable ones can fill your order instantly, but usually charge higher transaction fees.  Ones that suck might not have the stock available to you, place limitations, or cannot buyback your stock in time, but usually have smaller transaction fees.

Each brokerage account handles transactions differently.  I used Fidelity for a while.  You deposit money into the Fidelity account, type in the symbol you want to buy and *click*.  They charge 20 dollars per transaction and takes a total of about 1 week to "settle."

3 hours ago, xentropa said:

In stocks there is a primary market, and secondary market.  Primary market, you trade with the company directly.  Secondary market, you trade with a financial institution who owns the stock of a particular company.  In the primary market, there is a minimum purchase required (1 million dollars usually) and a minimum hold time.  In the secondary market, there is no limitations but the financial institution may charge fees.  For all of us (probably), we trade in the secondary market.

To trade in the secondary market, you have to get a brokerage account.  Not all brokerage accounts are the same, some are reputable, some flat out suck.  Reputable ones can fill your order instantly, but usually charge higher transaction fees.  Ones that suck might not have the stock available to you, place limitations, or cannot buyback your stock in time, but usually have smaller transaction fees.

Each brokerage account handles transactions differently.  I used Fidelity for a while.  You deposit money into the Fidelity account, type in the symbol you want to buy and *click*.  They charge 20 dollars per transaction and takes a total of about 1 week to "settle."

No one has ever described it in such an easy way. Thanks!

/// POLICE ASSAULT IN PROGRESS ///

17 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

People have a tendency to not read, and even if they do read the title, a person is far more likely to remember something they see (an image) rather than something they read. So when someone tries to recall the information in a week there is a very good chance they will have forgotten the exact number, but the graph will be more memorable and thus they will likely "remember" a larger increase as the graph shows a >50% increase. 

Edit: I worded that horribly, I apologize. 

so instead of reading the numbers on the graph they are going to take a tape measure and be like the ratio between the axis and the bottom and the axis and the peak is 500 to 1 so this graph indicates 500% increase and I also covered my eyes when clicking on this post to not see the 52% in the title

19 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so instead of reading the numbers on the graph they are going to take a tape measure and be like the ratio between the axis and the bottom and the axis and the peak is 500 to 1 so this graph indicates 500% increase and I also covered my eyes when clicking on this post to not see the 52% in the title

No, they're going to take a look at the graph and when they try to recall the information they're going to remember what the graph looked like, which at a cursory glance indicates an increase FAR greater than just 50%. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

No, they're going to take a look at the graph and when they try to recall the information they're going to remember what the graph looked like, which at a cursory glance indicates an increase FAR greater than just 50%. 

I think you guys are making it out to be much more of a problem than it really is. I dont think anyone on this forum is that illiterate 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

I think you guys are making it out to be much more of a problem than it really is. I dont think anyone on this forum is that illiterate 

The forum maybe. The general public? Probably.

43 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

You'd be amazed how many people, even on this forum either don't read and just look at the pictures, or read/focus on one line and ignore everything else. But that's not the entire problem, the bigger issue (at least on this forum) is that people have a tendency (myself included) to make a comment based on something they've read or remember from elsewhere on the forum. And, unfortunately, most people don't have eidetic memories, however visual representations of information are far easier to recall making it likely for someone to incorrectly recall the data. 

I don't think the graph is really that big of an issue, but it isn't the best possible representation either. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The graph is intended for people who are trading stocks. Not people who want an actual indication as to how the company is doing. The difference is important.

so google is not worried about misleading people into believing amd stocks rose 500%

16 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so google is not worried about misleading people into believing amd stocks rose 500%

If you are mislead by that graph, you are too dumb to do stock trading. And tie your own shoes.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Well, today stocks went down by ~14%, it was kind of expected though

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

22 hours ago, Sakkura said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, AMD's market value may have climbed to over $3 billion, but Nvidia is still at nearly $20 billion. 

I'm just saying it started while I own GTX card myself...

Here are two cool videos if haven't seen them yet:

(I think part 2 is more linked to this discussion, but some history in part 1 is also good info)

p.s. you get use to the Scotish accent :)

Part 1: 

Part 2:

To chime in on the topic of the graph, really those who don't understand what the numbers mean in it are unconcerned with the topic. If they want to fake knowledge by talking about the graph without fully parsing it, that's on them.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: PowerColor PCS+ R9 290

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone Fara R1-based case for half the price

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Logitech G203 Prodigy

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: 2x Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

As everyone has noted, the stock price fell about 14% on Monday. However, today it's rebounded another 8% upwards. AMD stock is currently sitting at $3.72 USD per share.

That's still a good upward trend. Obviously this is just a microtrend over the last 3 business days, it will be interesting how this plays out over the longer term.

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

12 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As everyone has noted, the stock price fell about 14% on Monday. However, today it's rebounded another 8% upwards. AMD stock is currently sitting at $3.72 USD per share.

That's still a good upward trend. Obviously this is just a microtrend over the last 3 business days, it will be interesting how this plays out over the longer term.

It's typical of stock that's suddenly jumped in price, some people who might not have noticed the price jump right away were cashing in their winnings and causing the drop. That left a bit of room for the price to increase again.

Good :)

Looks like its staying around 3.6 right now.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Topic is about AMD Stoc Price, comments about a GRAPH. Wow what have we become. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

50 minutes ago, pbenologa said:

Topic is about AMD Stoc Price, comments about a GRAPH. Wow what have we become. 

Sshhh, some people think that the option to view a 1 month section of a graph that goes for decades makes it misleading

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I am looking at the stock prices graphs for years

and 3.6 dollars per stock is really low when you compare the prices when it was the dot com boom

almost 93 dollars per stock in May 5 2000 almost 16 years ago.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

On 4/23/2016 at 6:06 PM, Enderman said:
Spoiler

That's called a biased/misleading graph...

This is the stuff you get taught in elementary school.

This graph illustrates a 500% increase not a 50% increase

CgrGDHXW4AAKHuU.jpg

That is called bias and misleading.

500% =/= 50%

How do you get 500% off the graph, given the Y axis starts at 2.5?

PC Part Picker Link || CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 5Ghz; MB: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400; GFX: Asus Strix 1080ti; CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass; STORAGE: 500GB Samsung 960 Pro, 250GB 850 Evo, 500GB 850 Evo, 3TB WD Red; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; MONITOR: Acer Predator X34; PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Chroma; Razer Deathadder Chroma, Audeze Mobius

Devices || Macbook Pro 15" (2016); iPad Pro 9.7"; iPhone Xr

Audio Gear || Headphones: Audeze iSine20; Audeze LCD-X; Audeze LCD-3; Mr Speakers Ether 2; Focal Clear; B&O H5; Sony MDR-1000x; AMP/DAC: Chord Qutest; Pathos Aurium; Bryston BHA-1; Matrix Audio Element X; Benchmark AHB2; Speakers: AudioEngine A5+; Focal Aria 936

On 4/23/2016 at 7:24 AM, CommandMan7 said:

Well I calculated that based on the 140 million trading volume yesterday times 1.37, but I might be doing that wrong.

Volume traded is the amount of shared traded in period. 

You want to take the shares outstanding and multiply them by the new value, and then minus the old value to get you capital gains/difference.

PC Part Picker Link || CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 5Ghz; MB: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400; GFX: Asus Strix 1080ti; CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass; STORAGE: 500GB Samsung 960 Pro, 250GB 850 Evo, 500GB 850 Evo, 3TB WD Red; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; MONITOR: Acer Predator X34; PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Chroma; Razer Deathadder Chroma, Audeze Mobius

Devices || Macbook Pro 15" (2016); iPad Pro 9.7"; iPhone Xr

Audio Gear || Headphones: Audeze iSine20; Audeze LCD-X; Audeze LCD-3; Mr Speakers Ether 2; Focal Clear; B&O H5; Sony MDR-1000x; AMP/DAC: Chord Qutest; Pathos Aurium; Bryston BHA-1; Matrix Audio Element X; Benchmark AHB2; Speakers: AudioEngine A5+; Focal Aria 936