AMD's Stock Price Skyrockets 52% in a Single Day

CommandMan7
7 hours ago, CommandMan7 said:

And this is all before Zen nor Polaris have launched. When that happens, AMD will be even better off.

While it is true this is happening before they launched, you do realize that it is BECAUSE of Zen and Polaris that AMD is getting these deals, right? It is highly speculated the China deal is because of Zen. Why would the Chinese company want to license crappy bulldozer based CPUs? They don't, and so chances are they are licensing Zen. As for the console deals, notice the consoles are coming in mid2016 and 2017. For the mid 2016 one, chances are it will use Polaris (logic) and for the 2017 ones they'll probably use Vega or Polaris mixed with possibly Zen.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 hours ago, christianled59 said:

You. Have. Got. To be kidding me.

2 days ago I was talking to my friend about investing a couple $k into amd. After a few long, drawn out conversations he convinced me to not invest. 

I could be rich right now. 

I think I should just kill myself now. 

You better slap your friend and show him the graph.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

While it is true this is happening before they launched, you do realize that it is BECAUSE of Zen and Polaris that AMD is getting these deals, right? It is highly speculated the China deal is because of Zen. Why would the Chinese company want to license crappy bulldozer based CPUs? They don't, and so chances are they are licensing Zen. As for the console deals, notice the consoles are coming in mid2016 and 2017. For the mid 2016 one, chances are it will use Polaris (logic) and for the 2017 ones they'll probably use Vega or Polaris mixed with possibly Zen.

The U.S. government would never allow it. AMD, Nvidia, and Intel are all legally barred from selling their high end stuff to China. If AMD tried to license Zen, the FTC would stomp on the deal with just as much force as when IBM tried to directly license Power 8 to (iirc) Huawei 2 years ago.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, ApolloFury said:

You better slap your friend and show him the graph.

I plan to.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

9 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

I plan to.

But remember, you're an adult that makes their own decisions.  I mean, it's not as if he slapped the wallet out of your hand and forbade you from buying it.  

Off topic, I really am looking forward to the next gen of gpus.  I'll be in the market exactly around the time it drops, hopefully. If Polaris 10 is a 390 replacement, I'll be buying it day one.

2 hours ago, christianled59 said:

I plan to.

I personally think it could go up to $6.20 or $8 as a ceiling, though that is just speculation.  I sold a crap ton of shares when it was $2.20-ish, and had I just waited--I could've made a few thousand dollars and gotten more Nordic American Tanker shares.

7 hours ago, Sakkura said:

How can market cap only have increased by $190 million, when it had a 52% jump to $3.17 billion? The increase should be just over a billion dollars.

Well I calculated that based on the 140 million trading volume yesterday times 1.37, but I might be doing that wrong.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

13 hours ago, Enderman said:

it changes the proportions...

or maybe you dont understand what bias is?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misleading_graph

you can learn all about it there

well actually an unbiased graph and its still high

up.png

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

4 minutes ago, spwath said:

well actually an unbiased graph and its still high

up.png

Yup, that's a a very noticeable change even with a graph starting at 0 so yeah...good for AMD...just as I was thinking about investing half of the money I have onto a company as I'm only 16 and can't exactly work due to reasons...god dammit...could have been a nice amount of money for me to put into my Zen and possibly polaris upgrade...

Once AMD can break-even (if that ever happens), they will easily be able to put a lot more into R&D into both divisions...people really should give AMD credit where it's due...it's not that easy to be loosing money for multiple years while having to split all of their money between two major divisions while your competitors are both bigger with more money and are only having to spend their money on their only major division...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

13 hours ago, Enderman said:

It's not foolish, it's a fact that the graph is misleading

But yeah, your school definitely didn't teach you about misleading graph strategies.

Honestly you should go learn about it, because it's very important to know when you're being mislead.

https://www.baekdal.com/insights/misleading-types-of-graphs-for-the-media

http://www.iacquire.com/blog/5-ways-to-avoid-being-fooled-by-statistics

It's obvious that you two are "smart enough" to read the numbers, but regular people don't do this. Go to your grandmother or parents and show them a graph like this and they will think its a huge increase

Reveal hidden contents

humEcjs.png

That's why graphs like this are a problem

Because a graph is supposed to show you unbiased data that you can read without doing math

And when you show a graph to millions of people on the internet, most of them do not look at the numbers

This is why biased graphs are such a good marketing strategy.

Oh I get it, it´s biased because it shows a steep increase when just taking the line into account, even though the actual value behind that line may not be that much.

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Oh I get it, it´s biased because it shows a steep increase when just taking the line into account, even though the actual value behind that line may not be that much.

Yeah! :D You get it!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeah! :D You get it!

I was really confused on what you were talking about at first, fuck I´ve been doing nothing productive this week. April Break and all that. My brain feels like mush.

that is only going to improve the competition and make the industry evolve

1 hour ago, CommandMan7 said:

Well I calculated that based on the 140 million trading volume yesterday times 1.37, but I might be doing that wrong.

Yeah, it's not just the shares that were traded that went up in price.

For those of you calling biased graphics design, that is how 95%+ of the stock market illustrate stock prices.

Why? Because it doesn't matter if a .5% increase is illustrated as a 5% increase. At a glance, you should be able to see that a fluctuation has occurred, and then take a closer look. A 50% increase is not normal, in fact, it is the single best day AMD has had since it's foundation. So what if the illustration is misleading to a moron?

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

14 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

I like to play in the stock market, I buy what I know.  Back in December I bought just under 1000 shares for $2.08 a share.  Right now, I'm pretty happy with my return.

and zen isnt even out yet so should be going up more

15 hours ago, Enderman said:

nice biased graph, 10/10 what they teach you not to do in elementary school :)

If you have a problem with the graph, go complain to Google about that.

OP made it very clear in his title and description that the stock jumped 52%. Nothing more, nothing less.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

The funny thing is is that on april 22 2013 there stock was at 2.64 and on april 29 they were at 3.60. I guess april might become AMD's lucky month

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

9 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

The U.S. government would never allow it. AMD, Nvidia, and Intel are all legally barred from selling their high end stuff to China. If AMD tried to license Zen, the FTC would stomp on the deal with just as much force as when IBM tried to directly license Power 8 to (iirc) Huawei 2 years ago.

they actualy did " As part of its earnings release today, it was announced that AMD has partnered with a combination of public and private Chinese companies to license its high-end server architecture and products. The Chinese company is called THATIC, Tianjin Haiguang Advanced Technology Investment Co. Ltd., and it will license x86 designs and SoC technology providing all the tools needed to make a server platform including CPUs, interconnects and controllers. "

" Basically, China wants their “own” hardware and software for government-funded institutions. This was driven by the Snowden revelations and the cooling of the China economy. For software, it means submitting source code to inspect for things like back doors, but also having Chinese institutions buy software from Chinese software vendors.  It’s a bit more complex on the hardware side. Net-net, on the server side it involves Chinese companies integrating core IP from western countries, adding their own “special sauce” like security and accelerators and selling to Chinese server OEMs.  This is exactly what happened with Advanced Micro Devices announcement today of its China JV. "

Good, anything to help them be profitable and go forward.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The interesting thing is what the Stock does on Monday.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, alamox said:

they actualy did " As part of its earnings release today, it was announced that AMD has partnered with a combination of public and private Chinese companies to license its high-end server architecture and products. The Chinese company is called THATIC, Tianjin Haiguang Advanced Technology Investment Co. Ltd., and it will license x86 designs and SoC technology providing all the tools needed to make a server platform including CPUs, interconnects and controllers. "

" Basically, China wants their “own” hardware and software for government-funded institutions. This was driven by the Snowden revelations and the cooling of the China economy. For software, it means submitting source code to inspect for things like back doors, but also having Chinese institutions buy software from Chinese software vendors.  It’s a bit more complex on the hardware side. Net-net, on the server side it involves Chinese companies integrating core IP from western countries, adding their own “special sauce” like security and accelerators and selling to Chinese server OEMs.  This is exactly what happened with Advanced Micro Devices announcement today of its China JV. "

Within 2 months, this deal will be undone. It's a vital U.S. security interest.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

6 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Like seeing what everyone has installed on their phone?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I would think that AMD's Lawyers have already looked into the matter to ensure that they aren't violating any US laws and/or trade deals. Especially if, as you say, the US already shot down a deal IBM tried to make. AMD would have already seen that and been given the heads up on what to look out for.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)