Dragon Age: Inquisition without Origin?

Greetings.

I'm halfway through my playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins, and it's quickly risen to the rank of one of my favourite games of all time. However, I had to mod it extensively to take the age off it (pun intended), and while I succeeded, the experience leaves me yearning for more- both in terms of continuity and gameplay.

I'd very much like to play Dragon Age: Inquisition as soon as I'm done, but I'm unaware of any method of acquiring the game without purchasing it on Origin, which is something I'm averse to. Especially with their $5/month subscription-based model, and even if I purchase the key elsewhere, their downright silly DRM measures are something I'd like to avoid. However, I haven't yet resolved to boycott EA in any way possible, and would still very much like to play the game.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to purchase the game without Origin. Would torrenting the game files be legal if I purchased an activation key from G2A.com? Or is it off to look for a physical copy (and 20GB of updates)?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Aereldor.

Due to DRM, the only legal way is through Origin. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

What does their optional subscription have to do with just buying the game?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

He's pointing it out as something he doesn't like about EA, which is why he is "boycotting" them but failing miserably by buying their games.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Their DRM system needs me to be logged in at all times, which means I can't play the game during one of the frequent summer network outages we experience where I live. I was mistaken when I mentioned the subscription, as I believed it would be mandatory.

A lot of it also has to do with my dislike of EA, and the numerous connection issues that Origin still appears to have, as per the multitude of troubleshooting posts on various forums.

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Due to DRM, the only legal way is through Origin. 

Would buying a physical copy of the game off a site like Amazon still require the use of the Origin client?

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

He's pointing it out as something he doesn't like about EA, which is why he is "boycotting" them but failing miserably by buying their games.

Which makes zero sense. I am one of those boycotting EA, but their optional subscription is actually a good deal. Even if it wasn't a good deal, why would you boycott over something that's optional when you actually have other means of obtaining their games?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

20 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

However, I haven't yet resolved to boycott EA in any way possible, and would still very much like to play the game.

I'd appreciate it if you could pay attention to my post, rather than picking out a trigger word and sticking it on me. I do not wish to boycott EA just yet, as they haven't really ruined an experience for me yet.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Would buying a physical copy of the game off a site like Amazon still require the use of the Origin client?

I'm assuming yes considering they use DRM.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Which makes zero sense. I am one of those boycotting EA, but their optional subscription is actually a good deal. Even if it wasn't a good deal, why would you boycott over something that's optional when you actually have other means of obtaining their games?

As I mentioned, the connectivity issues that people appear to be reporting, and all of the 'is Origin down?' queries. Even if I have to put up with being constantly logged-in to play, if the servers fail all the time, it's a far cry from a pleasant experience.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Pretty sure you have to register the physical key on origin.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Even if you use a crack on a legit copy of the game, it blocks you out of Dragon Age Keep since it requires access to Origin servers.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Just now, Fulgrim said:

Even if you use a crack on a legit copy of the game, it blocks you out of Dragon Age Keep.

Is this essential to the core functionality of the single-player campaign? I don't give a toss about multiplayer or achievements.

Just now, Aereldor said:

Is this essential to the core functionality of the single-player campaign? I don't give a toss about multiplayer or achievements.

Using a crack only prevents you from using Dragon Age Keep, meaning you gotta go with the default character backgrounds.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Looks like Dragon Age Keep is just a service that allows sharing of in-game decisions/results.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

Looks like Dragon Age Keep is just a service that allows sharing of in-game decisions/results.

I don't have any friends who play the same video games I do, so I've no wish to do so. Still, my legal scruples are interfering with the ease-of-use that a crack will bring me. I'll have to have a word with them.

1 minute ago, Fulgrim said:

Using a crack only prevents you from using Dragon Age Keep, meaning you gotta go with the default character backgrounds.

The default backgrounds? Do you mean I won't be able to import my choices from Origins?

Just now, Aereldor said:

The default backgrounds? Do you mean I won't be able to import my choices from Origins?

Correct.

Just now, Aereldor said:

I don't have any friends who play the same video games I do, so I've no wish to do so. Still, my legal scruples are interfering with the ease-of-use that a crack will bring me. I'll have to have a word with them.

I understand your motivation to keep with the law and frankly that's commendable. If you care about supporting the developer i'd go with buying a key and then torrenting the actual files.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Fulgrim said:

Correct.

You know, I might just be okay with that. Someone spoiled it for me that the default choices lead to Alistair and Morrigan ending up a couple and Leliana mourning her dead lover- the warden (please don't tell me how it happens- I'm yet to get to that part in Origins). While I'm sure the impact of my choices ranges further than that, it might just turn out like The Witcher 3, or Telltale's Game of Thrones, where previous choices don't affect the game too drastically.

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I understand your motivation to keep with the law and frankly that's commendable. If you care about supporting the developer i'd go with buying a key and then torrenting the actual files.

Will my support of the developers be deterred in any way if I purchase the key- thus legally acquiring the game- but activate it using a crack instead?

Also, did the game receive a plethora of patches? Because if it did, I'll need Origin to update from the version that comes with the DVDs anyway.

There is no way to purchase DA: Inquisition legally unless it's on Origin. DA:1+2 were playable offline cuz you could get it from bioware directly. But they only sell inquisition as an origin exclusive.

Spoiler