Decent Blu-Ray player that doesn't break the bank?

Lays

I think it's time my Family & I get a Blu-Ray player, but I honestly have no idea where to start.

Budget of like ~50-100, maybe a tiny bit more if it's actually necessary. 

We have a surround sound setup ( I believe it's 5.1) in the front room with a 42 or 47 inch 1080p TV if that's of any importance.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

31 minutes ago, Lays said:

I think it's time my Family & I get a Blu-Ray player, but I honestly have no idea where to start.

Budget of like ~50-100, maybe a tiny bit more if it's actually necessary. 

We have a surround sound setup ( I believe it's 5.1) in the front room with a 42 or 47 inch 1080p TV if that's of any importance.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Try a second hand PS3.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Get a BD-ROM drive for your PC and a big Hard drive, download MakeMKV and Format Factory, then just start ripping your movies to watch on the PC.

PS3's not a bad choice either.

1 hour ago, FullTank1337 said:

Get a BD-ROM drive for your PC and a big Hard drive, download MakeMKV and Format Factory, then just start ripping your movies to watch on the PC.

It's for my parents & the big screen TV in the living room, not for my PC :P

I can't be bothered to pick up my system and move it to the front room, it doesn't "move" very easily :P

A PS3 could work, but I'd rather them just get a dedicated blu-ray player, because then I don't really have to explain to them how to use it.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 minutes ago, Lays said:

It's for my parents & the big screen TV in the living room, not for my PC :P

I can't be bothered to pick up my system and move it to the front room, it doesn't "move" very easily :P

A PS3 could work, but I'd rather them just get a dedicated blu-ray player, because then I don't really have to explain to them how to use it.

The PS3 if I remember correctly shows which buttons do what when playing a BD for the first time.

PMSL

For dedicated Blu-ray players, I've heard good things about the Roku. It plays Blu-ray discs and streams video from every streaming service you care about plus like 10 others. I don't have one, but my parents really like their's (or they did, until it broke and they got a PS3 XD)

• 2 weeks later...

Cheap Blu-ray players only have HDMI out and no more.
A model like the LG BP350 , about 70 dollars I think, only HDMI Out.

LG BP420 is about 15 dollars more and uses more audio connectors 2.0 Tulp and Optical out.

Mostly I reccomend buyers to get the same brand as there TV's if its quite new one, because you can then ditch the remote of the bluray-player and use the TV remote instead.

On 4/23/2016 at 10:51 PM, Dabombinable said:

Try a second hand PS3.

PS3 hands down is the best blu ray player. Only issue is its 802.11G so, wireless it kinda shit. If not a PS3 then go with a Sony Blu ray player. Sony practically owns the blu ray format so there players seem to be the best. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

PS3 hands down is the best blu ray player. Only issue is its 802.11G so, wireless it kinda shit. If not a PS3 then go with a Sony Blu ray player. Sony practically owns the blu ray format so there players seem to be the best. 

I still remember when the PS3 cost about the same as high end blue ray players, while being better in every way.

PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

I still remember when the PS3 cost about the same as high end blue ray players, while being better in every way.

Actually the cheapest blu ray player at that time was like $1000 USD while the PS3 was a nice affordable $600 USD. Funny how that worked. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 2016-04-23 at 10:02 AM, FullTank1337 said:

For dedicated Blu-ray players, I've heard good things about the Roku. It plays Blu-ray discs and streams video from every streaming service you care about plus like 10 others. I don't have one, but my parents really like their's (or they did, until it broke and they got a PS3 XD)

I think you're confusing the Roku for something different. The Roku is a set-top streaming device (Think, Apple TV). It does not even have an optical drive of any kind, let alone Blu-Ray.

@Lays what kind of inputs does the Surround Sound setup use? That will determine which Blu-Ray player you can get away with. If the Surround Sound has HDMI Passthrough, then you can pretty much get any Blu-Ray player you want. I'd pick a mid-priced ($75 or so) LG, Samsung, or Sony, depending on what TV you have. May as well match the brands, so, as others have mentioned, you can have Remote Control Passthrough (TV Remote can control both).

If the Surround Setup needs a specific type of input (Eg: SPDIF/Optical/Digital Coax, etc), then you'll need to make sure the chosen model has those audio outputs. Just get the cheapest one you see that has those audio outputs, and keep to a name brand (LG, Samsung, etc).

Stay away from off-brands, no-name brands, and value brands. Some of them turn out to be alright, but you're rolling a dice in terms of quality and longevity of the device.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I think you're confusing the Roku for something different. The Roku is a set-top streaming device (Think, Apple TV). It does not even have an optical drive of any kind, let alone Blu-Ray.

@Lays what kind of inputs does the Surround Sound setup use? That will determine which Blu-Ray player you can get away with. If the Surround Sound has HDMI Passthrough, then you can pretty much get any Blu-Ray player you want. I'd pick a mid-priced ($75 or so) LG, Samsung, or Sony, depending on what TV you have. May as well match the brands, so, as others have mentioned, you can have Remote Control Passthrough (TV Remote can control both).

If the Surround Setup needs a specific type of input (Eg: SPDIF/Optical/Digital Coax, etc), then you'll need to make sure the chosen model has those audio outputs. Just get the cheapest one you see that has those audio outputs, and keep to a name brand (LG, Samsung, etc).

Stay away from off-brands, no-name brands, and value brands. Some of them turn out to be alright, but you're rolling a dice in terms of quality and longevity of the device.

Finally someone not instantly telling me to get a PS3, thank you :D

I believe it has RCA / Optical and HDMI in.  I can go check.

1 hour ago, Lays said:

Finally someone not instantly telling me to get a PS3, thank you :D

I believe it has RCA / Optical and HDMI in.  I can go check.

Assuming the receiver for your surround system has an HDMI In as well as an HDMI Out, then you don't need anything special in terms of outputs on the Blu-Ray player.

If there's no HDMI Out, then you'll need to get a Blu-Ray player that has Optical output.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)