Hook up a PS2 to an ultrawide monitor?

shermantanker
Go to solution Solved by B16CXHatch,

For best results with that monitor, buy a PS2/3 component cable and a component to HDMI adapter. Make sure beforehand that the PS2 is set to output YPbPr. Dig into your monitor's settings and set the aspect ratio to 4:3. Enjoy.

Here's some specific stuff to buy. Unfortunately, it looks like you can't quite get the official Sony component cable on Amazon for a decent price anymore so here's an alternative:

Monoprice 6FT 4 in 1 Component Cable for Xbox 360, Wii, PS3 and PS2

AGPtek® 5RCA Component Audio Video YPbPr To HDMI Converter Adapter Scaler

And as a purist, for truly best results, buy that component cable and a Sony Wega or any other decent massive flat tube CRT. I've got a 27" Sanyo though I'm using an S-Video cable cause the TV doesn't have component. Man I really want a 32" Sony Wega though. I just ain't got the room for one that massive right now. I barely have room for the 27".

Well I am wanting to buy an old PS2 in order to play a few games I never got into when I was younger, and the only display in my room is a Dell u3415w IPS Ultrawide. Will I be able to hook it up to play on that somehow, and is up scaling the resolution possible? Also, do I have to worry about input lag at all?

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Interesting.  Some people might argue that older graphics are "best enjoyed" on older displays :) I'm interested to see if there's a practical way to make this work though. (I own an ultrawide)

I don't know the technical answer, but my hunch/guess is that (if I remember correctly from my PS2 days) you can't adjust anything with the graphics/resolution, and all it will do is stretch the image to fit the ultrawide, unless the monitor is able to detect the lower resolution and just display it with a large black box around it. 

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

1 minute ago, georgespamme said:

Interesting.  Some people might argue that older graphics are "best enjoyed" on older displays :) I'm interested to see if there's a practical way to make this work though. (I own an ultrawide)

I'm not a purist, and just want to play my games :P (i Also don't have space for a CRTV either lol.

I found this, but not sure how it would work with the Ultrawide.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

I don't know the technical answer, but my hunch/guess is that (if I remember correctly from my PS2 days) you can't adjust anything with the graphics/resolution, and all it will do is stretch the image to fit the ultrawide, unless the monitor is able to detect the lower resolution and just display it with a large black box around it. 

Yeah the dell does have the ability to show black boxes for for lower resolutions, but haven't tested it too much.

4 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

I'm not a purist, and just want to play my games :P (i Also don't have space for a CRTV either lol.

I found this, but not sure how it would work with the Ultrawide.

Haha yeah I understand.  You may just have to buy some hardware and play around with it to see what works.

For best results with that monitor, buy a PS2/3 component cable and a component to HDMI adapter. Make sure beforehand that the PS2 is set to output YPbPr. Dig into your monitor's settings and set the aspect ratio to 4:3. Enjoy.

Here's some specific stuff to buy. Unfortunately, it looks like you can't quite get the official Sony component cable on Amazon for a decent price anymore so here's an alternative:

Monoprice 6FT 4 in 1 Component Cable for Xbox 360, Wii, PS3 and PS2

AGPtek® 5RCA Component Audio Video YPbPr To HDMI Converter Adapter Scaler

And as a purist, for truly best results, buy that component cable and a Sony Wega or any other decent massive flat tube CRT. I've got a 27" Sanyo though I'm using an S-Video cable cause the TV doesn't have component. Man I really want a 32" Sony Wega though. I just ain't got the room for one that massive right now. I barely have room for the 27".

On 22/04/2016 at 4:30 PM, shermantanker said:

Well I am wanting to buy an old PS2 in order to play a few games I never got into when I was younger, and the only display in my room is a Dell u3415w IPS Ultrawide.

Sorry for being late to this discussion but here is my input.

-Standard definition consoles (not games, I'll talk about them in a moment) look better on standard definition screens. I've tested my ps2 with component cable on my 1080p TV and it sucks, everything is blurry even if I put the aspect ratio  to 4:3.

-If the games you want are on the PSN so you can play on your ps3 go for it. The ps3 does am amazing job upscaling the image so it doesn't look blurry, just the pixels are "duplicated" to fill the resolution size. I've only tested side-to-side with Godhand but I think it might extend to all other games.

-If you don't care about legit games, that kind of horsepower inside your PC case will give you an amazing emulation experience.

There are some cheap slim late models CRTs out there with very good image quality if you end up looking for one.

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas

5 hours ago, Avcoor said:

Sorry for being late to this discussion but here is my input.

-Standard definition consoles (not games, I'll talk about them in a moment) look better on standard definition screens. I've tested my ps2 with component cable on my 1080p TV and it sucks, everything is blurry even if I put the aspect ratio  to 4:3.

-If the games you want are on the PSN so you can play on your ps3 go for it. The ps3 does am amazing job upscaling the image so it doesn't look blurry, just the pixels are "duplicated" to fill the resolution size. I've only tested side-to-side with Godhand but I think it might extend to all other games.

-If you don't care about legit games, that kind of horsepower inside your PC case will give you an amazing emulation experience.

There are some cheap slim late models CRTs out there with very good image quality if you end up looking for one.

Yeah I tried an emulator last year, but it didn't work very well. I'll look into a TV if it doesn't do well on my monitor.

just get a standard tv. anything higher than 240p is going to look like shit anyways unless you have component for games that output 480i

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

On 27/04/2016 at 7:45 AM, branden_lucero said:

just get a standard tv. anything higher than 240p is going to look like shit anyways unless you have component for games that output 480i

PS2 can output 480i on S-video and 480p on Component, even than, it'll look horrible. It's not only the resolution but the response time cause by the converter, Guitar Hero is unplayable.

CRTV all the way. I stiil have one plugged with my SNES and PS2.