AMD officially classifies Polaris 10 as mainstream desktop GPU and high-end notebook GPU

zMeul
On 2016-04-22 at 0:35 PM, zMeul said:

what mainstream means?! well .. you're not going to like it - it's about the performance level of a R9 260X or a R7 360X

I've called it! the information leaked about Polaris 10 was not encouraging at all - AMD is out of their minds if the spearhead of their new generation GPUs are low end and mid range brackets

and the performance bracket for Polaris 11 looks even worse, as it targets specifically the notebook market - meaning it's at the level of R7 240

What's bad about this? Why is it not "encouraging"? (Was it ever meant to be encouraging...9_9) And how is this the company's "spearhead" at all?

1) There is Vega. This is not their flagship product nor the company's "GP100".

2) Polaris 10 is to Nvidia's GP104, as Polaris 11 is to Nvidia's GP106.

3) You are speculating that the performance will be in the low-end to mid-range level. What's wrong about that? Isn't it what Polaris 10 and 11, and Nvidia's GP104 and 106 supposed to do? o.O

4) 14nm FinFet and the architecture itself is still very new. It's pretty understandable that the smaller dies are coming out faster than the larger dies. Remember GM107?

5) Rumors and leaks point that Nvidia is doing the same, preparing their GP104 chips for launch first. If anything, AMD has finally adopted Nvidia's fashion of introducing new GPUs. Nvidia has been following this strategy since Kepler. Are you saying that is bad too?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

But Intel DOES club baby seals to death... didn't you know that?

/s

Via and Texas Instruments still seem to be doing well, Via even made x86 CPU up until 40nm: http://www.viatech.com/en/silicon/processors/. But poor Cyrix on the other hand.....

Edit: Holy shit they still make their CPU, and it appears their own GPU: http://www.viatech.com/en/boards/mini-itx/epia-m920/

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 22/04/2016 at 6:35 PM, zMeul said:

source: http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2159398

via: http://videocardz.com/59248/amd-officially-confirms-polaris-10-and-polaris-11-market-positioning

AMD let slip something really interesting during their Q1 2016 earnings call:

what mainstream means?! well .. you're not going to like it - it's about the performance level of a R9 260X or a R7 360X

"Mainstream" means the price of a graphics card between the 360X and 370X. If they halved the price of the R9 Fury it would fall into the "mainstream" class of graphics card, regardless of the fact that it plays in the "enthusiast" league.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

23 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Via and Texas Instruments still seem to be doing well, Via even made x86 CPU up until 40nm: http://www.viatech.com/en/silicon/processors/. But poor Cyrix on the other hand.....

Edit: Holy shit they still make their CPU, and it appears their own GPU: http://www.viatech.com/en/boards/mini-itx/epia-m920/

Yeah VIA is still active in the embedded market, but that's also a different playground than the computer market we know.

It's perfectly possible a local vending machine or something else that needs a bit of calculator power is powered by something from VIA. I won't even be suprised if some VIA stuff is doing it's job in some space craft above us.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

23 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

most of the old CPU makers moved over to custom silicone stuff. Using custom or proprietary instructions.

Some got bought by intel/ibm/arm

There's just not a lot of money to be made in graphics and the high end market of it is extremely small. Mainstream is more affordable and AMD is choking out Nvidia from it. There's less and less reason for game developers to work with Nvidia hardware when all the consoles use AMD hardware making it easy for all the big game companies to make ports of their games to PC that are optimized for AMD GPUs.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 0:43 AM, don_svetlio said:

Seing as a 970 is considered mainstream, it still might be the 490/490X

A 970 is technically high end. A 960 is mainstream.

x80 Ti cards  and aboveare "enthusiast"

x70 cards and above are high end and x50-60 are mainstream.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

If Polaris x60 cards perform like my 290x, i say good job and bring it on.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I want some other that zMeul to post GPUor CPU treds, on both AMD and Nvidia side.

not because he says that polaris will be as low end as he says, but that he did say that Nvidia most likely wont do it that way and come out with high end from the start. Because that means that he not only more negative to AMD that he should me, but that he is also more positive to Nvidia than he should be.

I am ok with people that says something is worse than other sources say (or better), if they do it on both teams of a "fight", but when one is strongly saying positive for one team and positive against another without being actual 100% truth and no bias, I am not ok with it.

This counts for others too, not just zMeul.

But I have fun reading rumours, but I am not going to decide anything before third party benchmarks and what they cost. I care about Performance/price

A lot of people nowdays have somewhat Nvidia Bias / affected my marketing or friends. because if that wasnt the case, the marketshare would be 50/50 if you exlude laptops and 980 ti / fury x (not a lot of people is buying those cards).

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

7 hours ago, Mihle Gaming said:

A lot of people nowdays have somewhat Nvidia Bias / affected my marketing or friends. because if that wasnt the case, the marketshare would be 50/50 if you exlude laptops and 980 ti / fury x (not a lot of people is buying those cards).

I would kindly argue the opposite. While the perceptual bias for NVidia is indeed large in quantity, the likewise for AMD is FAR more vocal in return.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 hour ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

I would kindly argue the opposite. While the perceptual bias for NVidia is indeed large in quantity, the likewise for AMD is FAR more vocal in return.

AMD graphics cards are well regarded in tech savvy circles such as this forum. But nvidia and the 'geforce' brand name is better known so the average pc gamer will swing towards that.

2 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

Do you know just how many people don't even know AMD exists? I was talking to a coworker that games a lot. He bragged about his 980Ti, and when I told him I had a 390 he was confused as to what that was. It's only really in places like here that they can be vocal, because most people wouldn't know what they were talking about otherwise. I'm not saying that they aren't very vocal, they are, just that they don't balance each other out because the one is only heard by a small number of people.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

2 minutes ago, Daegun said:

Do you know just how many people don't even know AMD exists? I was talking to a coworker that games a lot. He bragged about his 980Ti, and when I told him I had a 390 he was confused as to what that was. It's only really in places like here that they can be vocal, because most people wouldn't know what they were talking about otherwise. I'm not saying that they aren't very vocal, they are, just that they don't balance each other out because the one is only heard by a small number of people.

Likewise, I've had the "pleasure" of dealing with pricks for my colleagues treating AMD as their personal deities, and outright bully others for not following it. While that is an extreme minority, it can certainly rub people the wrong way. So, that "one is only heard by a small number of people" argument does not mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

There is also the non-gamers - but they do not understand the existence of Intel, let alone AMD or NVidia.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

On 5/1/2016 at 9:43 PM, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

Likewise, I've had the "pleasure" of dealing with pricks for my colleagues treating AMD as their personal deities, and outright bully others for not following it. While that is an extreme minority, it can certainly rub people the wrong way. So, that "one is only heard by a small number of people" argument does not mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

There is also the non-gamers - but they do not understand the existence of Intel, let alone AMD or NVidia.

You can also see by the amount of post's related to Nvidia on the forums, people just think nvidia most of the times when they want a new GPU.

When AMD right now has the edge over nvidia in terms of DX12 performance across the board. Specially when it comes to price performance you cannot go wrong with them.