mechanical keyboard recommendations

joelthezombie15

Hi I'm looking for a good cheap and by cheap i mean not a $50 mechanical keyboard. I personally like the cherry MX blues or brown key switches from playing with them in some retail stores it doesn't have to be optimized for any specific thing I'll be using it for everything but mainly gaming but "gaming optimized keyboards don't appeal to me" i don't use macros and led doesn't matter to much but it is nice to have. thank you

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Ducky Zero, cheap and sexy. Switches are up to personal preference

I 2nd that. Ducky Zero series cheap, affordable, and good quality for its price.

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

does the ducky zero have a version without a number pad?

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

thank you

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

i cannot find a place online that sells them to save my life where are they sold?

those are not cheap i said less than $50 i almost had a heart attack $80 for a keyboard that is ridiculous

Under $50. Good luck, thrift stores are about your only option. Cheapest I've seen is the monoprice with mx blues at $50

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Under $50. Good luck, thrift stores are about your only option. Cheapest I've seen is the monoprice with mx blues at $50
You gotta learn to read... EDIT: Just read his comment. Disregard what i typed

$50 mechanical keyboard? Wait a couple decades dude. Don't come here posting nonsense and expecting a miracle answer to appear, we do not entertain trolls in this forum (If that was your intention)

P.S: And improve your english, don't come here spouting crap about "Not $50 cheap" then changing winds to "I said less than $50".

If "Less than $50" was your original intention then you should phrase it as "A mechanical keyboard that costs less than $50." Which obviously doesn't exist, if any man with a modicum of common sense would realise, via a simple google search.

You will have to make some serious compromises and delve into the unknown at that price point. You are pretty much going to have to throw the Cherry made switches out of the equation and look into Alps style switches since they generally run quite a bit cheaper. Alps switches seem to be a love or hate thing with people. They are not as refined feeling as the Cherry switch, but its barely noticeable. For instance my daily driver is Ducky DK1087XM with the green Alps. I don't have extended experience with Cherry blues, but they feel damn close and in my opinion sound much better, albeit a little louder. The best part about it is it only cost $50 from tigerimports.com (with -$0.45 shipping???). I also have a SIIG Minitouch that I picked up from a thrift store for $10. It's got white XM alps style switches that are amazing to type on, but are a little heavy for gaming. They have an actuation force of about 70-75g which is similar to a Cherry MX Green.

You will have to make some serious compromises and delve into the unknown at that price point. You are pretty much going to have to throw the Cherry made switches out of the equation and look into Alps style switches since they generally run quite a bit cheaper. Alps switches seem to be a love or hate thing with people. They are not as refined feeling as the Cherry switch, but its barely noticeable. For instance my daily driver is Ducky DK1087XM with the green Alps. I don't have extended experience with Cherry blues, but they feel damn close and in my opinion sound much better, albeit a little louder. The best part about it is it only cost $50 from tigerimports.com (with -$0.45 shipping???). I also have a SIIG Minitouch that I picked up from a thrift store for $10. It's got white XM alps style switches that are amazing to type on, but are a little heavy for gaming. They have an actuation force of about 70-75g which is similar to a Cherry MX Green.
Alps do feel quite different from Cherrys though, so he'd better find a place to test them out before he commits his head into buying one.

Yes they are different. The problem is that Alps tend to be found more on industrial/retail boards and are not readily available to test in your general electronics store so that will be next to impossible. I think going with Alps is more of a leap of faith, which is part of the price paid with going super low budget.

Here's the only one I could find: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=89

It doesn't have the Cherry switches but as others have said, with your budget you have a very small amount of options. I would recommend saving up and getting a better one. A Ducky keyboard will last you for a really long time so if I were you I would wait and get the kind you really want.

For 50 dollars you wont find much, but if your in the US and can step up to 60+ the cm storm is a great keyboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFire-Rapid-Mechanical-SGK-4000-GKCL1-US/dp/B0068INSUM

My Rig:

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H210 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  Motherboard:  MSI B450 AM4 Motherboard  Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB Video Card: MSI RX480 Power Supply: Corsair TX 750w Storage: Samsung 840 120GB And a 500GB WD BLUE Monitor: Acer S231HLbid 23" and an old Dell Mouse: RAZER DeathAdder 3.5G Keyboard: Ducky DK9008G2 PRO MX Cherry Blue

I don't think you're going to find any good mechanical keyboards for under $50, remember that a mechanical keyboard is an investment and something that, if you choose a good one, will out live even your computer table.

Get a CM storm, ducky or filco, if you can't affrod them right now i unfortunetly think you'll just have to save for a while. But it will be worth it in the end.

For a budget that low go for the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid. That will probably be the cheapest cherry switch keyboard you can find new.

But I would just go membrane for that price.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Why is it ridiculous?

Time for a car analogy. You can spend as little as possible on the cheapest car you can find and it'll get you from A-to-B. You can also spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a car that'll do the same thing - the difference is in the user-experience. People spend more on a car in order to make going from A-to-B more enjoyable. Maybe it goes faster, maybe the ride's smoother, maybe they look better doing it, maybe it has some extra gadgets, but in all cases people are spending more to improve the user-experience. The same goes for keyboards - and most computer components. The more you spend typically makes for an improved user-experience.

Now, your avatar leads me to believe that you think $100 for a case is reasonable? I won't dispute that, but lets compare it to a $50 case. What is that extra $50 getting you? Maybe some slightly better fans or a cheap fan controller, perhaps it made your rig easier to put together, but how much is that extra $50 getting you right now, as you read this? Not a whole lot. A case does an important job that's worth doing, but it doesn't add much to the user-experience. It might look pretty, but you're looking at the monitor right now, not your case.

Now lets consider the keyboard. Aside from the monitor and maybe the mouse, it's probably *the* most used and utilized part of your computer. The extent of your interaction with your case is pressing the power button when you switch on a computer, but a keyboard is used constantly, be it writing passwords, e-mails, forum posts, URLs, search queries or controlling games. So, this time, lets compare an $80 keyboard to a $50 one...What does that extra $30 get you? Mechanical switches. It might get you a slightly better appearance and it'll definitely get you significantly improved build-quality, but at the end of the day it's primarily getting you a keyboard that feels worlds better to type on...A keyboard you'll use day in and day out, an ever-present part of the user experience.

Given a $50 computer case and keyboard, with the choice of spending an extra $50 on either? Why would I choose the case?

excellent troll thread.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

For 50 dollars you will not find many (if any) mechanical keyboards. If you spend around 100 then you can find some great ones. I would recommend any Ducky or the Cooler Master TK Quickfire.

You're wasting your money getting a mechanical keyboard for

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

I dont think you can get a mechanical keyboard for $50. You could get a Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid and it sometimes goes on sale at ncix for $60 i think. This keyboard doesn't have a numpad. If you want a numpad, I would suggest you to get a Ducky Zero like Lukiose said because that is the only solid keyboard that I can think of around the $70 dollar range.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I completely forgot about these, but look up cherry g84's, they use cherry ml switches and are about $15 on ebay.

here's a review on reddit.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/19your/cherry_g844100_ml_switch_review_and_pics/

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac