Is 2.6 GPA for senior high school bad?!

Boobies Sprinkle

My name is Adolf McDanold, and I'm currently senior this year and ready to graduate within a month. Today, I just receive my report card, and its show I have a 2.6 GPA with unweighted and weighted, and I have 3 A's and 3 B's. So the question is, does 2.6 GPA bad?! Because right now my mom planning to ground me for 3 months or more until I get a college approve for my admission. Also, I don't believe 3 A's and 3 B's equal to 2.6 GPA, My grades deserve a 2.9 base on my opinion. 

11 hours ago, Boobies Sprinkle said:

My name is Adolf McDanold, and I'm currently senior this year and ready to graduate within a month. Today, I just receive my report card, and its show I have a 2.6 GPA with unweighted and weighted, and I have 3 A's and 3 B's. So the question is, does 2.6 GPA bad?! Because right now my mom planning to ground me for 3 months or more until I get a college approve for my admission. Also, I don't believe 3 A's and 3 B's equal to 2.6 GPA, My grades deserve a 2.9 base on my opinion. 

I dont think all college will look at this. For example most colleges at least that I have attended require you to take an entrance exam. This is so they know what requisite classes you have to take. For example I had to take a math placement exam at Eastern Michigan University. I didnt do well so I had to take Math 097 and 098 in order to qualify to take other math courses. These lower than 100 classes dont count towards your credits needed to graduate. So your probably going to be ok. Most colleges want your money. LOL. 

You could always go up to the college and ask. Talk to an academic adviser and see what they have to say. I also will say this, my friend had grades like yours and he got in to college just fine. Actually his GPA was probably worse. He made it to a 4 year school no problem. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Mug said:

More concerning to me is why on earth your parents named you adolf

What's wrong with that?

What country are you trying to go to college? In USA, where I am from, most college applications happen in the beginning of your senior year. You should already know where you are going to college to begin in the Fall.

Also if you think there is an error, calculate your GPA. It is very simple, for every class, take the number of credits it is worth, and the GPA number you got for each class. Then take the total GPA divided by the total credits

EX:

3cr A (4.0) = 12.0

3cr B+ (3.3) = 9.9

1cr A- (3.7) = 3.7

25.6 / 7credits = 3.657 GPA

Also what do you want to go to college for? If you want to be an engineer, you might be SOL. Art school, probably safe. Something in the middle, eh, maybe lower your expectations.

One final thought, do you do other stuff? Extra curricular activities, leadership positions, sports, bands, etc? Those will help a weak GPA.

EDIT:

Your GPA is listed as a 2.6. What is that out of? In USA GPA is based on a 4.0 scale.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

3 minutes ago, paps511 said:

What country are you trying to go to college? Murica

Also what do you want to go to college for? Game designer, IT security, or graphics designer

One final thought, do you do other stuff? Extra curricular activities, leadership positions, sports, bands, etc? Currently none. 

17 minutes ago, Boobies Sprinkle said:

Well, with a 2.6/4.0 you sure as hell aren't getting into Harvard. Again, I don't know how Canadians does GPA but in USA 4.0 is the standard "perfect". 

An alternative you can do, if you find your GPA too low, is to go to a community college for 1-2 years and then transfer into a better school than you would have been able to get into directly.

When were you looking to begin college? If you are graduating HS next month, it is probably too late to apply and begin in Fall 2016 for most US colleges.

Where were you looking to go? East Coast, West Coast, middle of no where etc. NYU, UCLA etc etc

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

19 minutes ago, paps511 said:

Well, with a 2.6/4.0 you sure as hell aren't getting into Harvard. Again, I don't know how Canadians does GPA but in USA 4.0 is the standard "perfect". 

An alternative you can do, if you find your GPA too low, is to go to a community college for 1-2 years and then transfer into a better school than you would have been able to get into directly.

When were you looking to begin college? If you are graduating HS next month, it is probably too late to apply and begin in Fall 2016 for most US colleges.

Where were you looking to go? East Coast, West Coast, middle of no where etc. NYU, UCLA etc etc

Canadians use an average out of your grades. You actually have to pay to take a GPA test here.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Ehh it depends. My first two years of HS I gave ZERO FUCKS and cruised with straight C's and D's. When I finalized came to the realization "oh shit, I need to get into college" I push it to B's then A's. In the end I graduated with around a 2.7 if I remember right.

How many schools did I get accepted to? ALL OF THEM :3 (only one was a crappy back up and there were some prestigious ones in the pile too). A crap GPA can be covered up with extra curricular and a sexy application letter. Also...it doesn't hurt to have powerful friends ;)

edit: I graduated HS in 2010 so things prob got harder....

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

2 hours ago, Boobies Sprinkle said:

What's wrong with that?

don't you troll me matey

40 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

A crap GPA can be covered up with extra curricular and a sexy application letter. Also...it doesn't hurt to have powerful friends

THIS

I got into my first choice university with a bad gpa.  I don't remember what it was but I know i was in the bottom 1/3 of my class.  I had phenomenal sat scores and great references.  I now have a ba and am 2 classes short of my masters in biochemical engineering.

My point is its never too late.  Just because you have a shit high school record doesn't mean you cant get a good degree.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

well let's see, I passed high school with a whopping 1.3 GPA, so... no I'm guessing its not bad.

I had a GPA of like 2.63 or something like that (my school got very specific).  But GPAs aren't a good measurement of how well you do in class, for example, I only had a low GPA because I didn't do my work.  I just got done with my ACT and got my scores back.  My composite score was a 26, considered above the national average.

I got my certification through University of Phoenix and now I'm currently enrolling in MSU all with a high school GPA of 2.63.  Don't worry man.  Just do great on your ACT or SAT, which ever school you enroll in requires to you to take.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

3 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I had a GPA of like 2.63 or something like that (my school got very specific).  But GPAs aren't a good measurement of how well you do in class, for example, I only had a low GPA because I didn't do my work.  I just got done with my ACT and got my scores back.  My composite score was a 26, considered above the national average.

I got my certification through University of Phoenix and now I'm currently enrolling in MSU all with a high school GPA of 2.63.  Don't worry man.  Just do great on your ACT or SAT, which ever school you enroll in requires to you to take.

I know, but my college require a holy sh*t 3.81 or 4.4 GPA to enter for Freshmen year. I'm good on SAT/ACT, but my GPA is not good for them to accept me.  

10 hours ago, Mug said:

don't you troll me matey

I don't understand. What are you trying to say man? Are you high? I wonder what type of drug you took. Also, what's wrong with Adolf name? Does it have something to do with Adolf Hitler? No, my parent and me are not German so don't worry we will not take over the world or start WW3. And my parent name me Adolf McDanold since I were born, so I'm stuck with that name perm.

14 hours ago, KuJoe said:

It's better than a 2.5 but not as good as a 2.7, in the real world it's a number nobody will care about.

College/University does care about your high school GPA. Some good colleges/universities require like 4.4 high school GPA, high school diploma, good SAT/ACT score to enter.  

15 minutes ago, Boobies Sprinkle said:

College/University does care about your high school GPA. Some good colleges/universities require like 4.4 high school GPA, high school diploma, good SAT/ACT score to enter.  

If you were planning on getting into a "good" college/university you wouldn't be asking about your GPA on a public forum. :P

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

If you were planning on getting into a "good" college/university you wouldn't be asking about your GPA on a public forum. :P

I'm not looking to go into a good college, but just want to know if 2.6 GPA bad or not. 

Just now, Boobies Sprinkle said:

I'm not looking to go into a good college, but just want to know if 2.6 GPA bad or not. 

LoL, I don't like repeating myself so you can read my previous answer. ;)

-KuJoe

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:07 AM, Boobies Sprinkle said:

GPA isn't a opinion.  It is a mathematical formula.  Is it a 2.6 for your senior year or for your high school career?

3 A's and 3 B's is a 3.5 GPA.

And a 2.6 is average normally, but the way schools have been doing "Core" education lately, more and more students are getting higher grades (although while not actually learning anymore of the material than before).  So while 2.6 is average, it is certainly slowly becoming below average.

While I don't know your current situation, your mother is in the right, especially if she told you to do better before hand.  You should apply yourself more, do something to better your education.  Remember schooling isn't about actually learning anything.  Its about showing that you can sit down, shut up, and do what you need to do to get by.  Its about showing that you're good enough.  That you're not only as capable as everyone else, but that you're also better than everyone else.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

1 minute ago, JefferyD90 said:

GPA isn't a opinion.  It is a mathematical formula.  Is it a 2.6 for your senior year or for your high school career?

3 A's and 3 B's is a 3.5 GPA.

And a 2.6 is average normally, but the way schools have been doing "Core" education lately, more and more students are getting higher grades (although while not actually learning anymore of the material than before).  So while 2.6 is average, it is certainly slowly becoming below average.

While I don't know your current situation, your mother is in the right, especially if she told you to do better before hand.  You should apply yourself more, do something to better your education.  Remember schooling isn't about actually learning anything.  Its about showing that you can sit down, shut up, and do what you need to do to get by.  Its about showing that you're good enough.  That you're not only as capable as everyone else, but that you're also better than everyone else.

2.6 GPA for my senior year in my high school.