Can't install chrome on my new laptop

Hello,

Today I bought a brand new Dell XPS laptop that's running Windows 10. I got home and tried to install Chrome however I keep running into a "Installation failed due to unspecified error. If google Chrome is currently running, please close it and try again."

I have read through the forums and tried all suggestions. I have deleted the Google folder from the AppData multiple times and tried to reinstall with no luck. I then tried to install using the offline installer and still ran into the same issue. I also checked and there are no instance of chrome running within the Task manager. 

I then did a full windows reset and installation and tried to reinstall again. Still I'm getting the same issue. Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lachlan

Installation error.PNG

Install the x64 version. 

Make sure you don't have a corrupted file. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Yea I have tried installing both the 32 and 64-bit. Neither work...

7 hours ago, lachiebw said:

Have u try change Compatibility? I mean change for instalation.. I had similar problem with windows 7 when I needed to run utility which where developed for win 98 se... 

Getting old is wonderful, when you consider the alternative.

I figured out the problem was the pre-installed McAfee anti virus. I really hate that pre-installed bloatware, I didn't even know it was running. Went looking through the running processes and saw it there. Long story short McAfee is long gone.

• 3 months later...

I created a burner account just to log on and thank you for updating your original post. I was having the exact same problem, and had tried all the solutions you'd suggested. I looked at a bunch of sites, and yours was the first to suggest McAfee as the problem. Sure enough, once I got rid of McAfee, I was able to install Chrome. Then I installed Avast.

But just writing to say, thanks a ton. You got me to the solution I needed to solve my problem.