How to wipe a windows PC, without activation key?

Hey everyone! My friend gave me a laptop with "viruses" on it, and he wants me to fix it. I would simply reset windows or install a new version of Windows 10... but there's a problem. I can't get onto the PC. He screwed it up somehow, and it says it needs the activation key. He does not have that. I would just load bios and wipe it from a flash drive, but there doesn't seem to be a BIOS...? Anyway... how can I wipe it and install win. 10? Thanks in advance :)

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

Windows 10 Keys are embedded into the BIOS so you should be good to go. Just go to the media creation tool and choose the version of windows installed (most likely home) and be on your way. You'll just need a flash drive (4GB at least).

Numbre

Every computer has a bios. Some are harder to access but it's there. Spam F8 on start-up and access the settings tap there should be a factory reset option.

12 minutes ago, mrjordann said:

Hey everyone! My friend gave me a laptop with "viruses" on it, and he wants me to fix it. I would simply reset windows or install a new version of Windows 10... but there's a problem. I can't get onto the PC. He screwed it up somehow, and it says it needs the activation key. He does not have that. I would just load bios and wipe it from a flash drive, but there doesn't seem to be a BIOS...? Anyway... how can I wipe it and install win. 10? Thanks in advance :)

So.... have you asked how he get got these 'viruses'?

Joking aside the laptop if it is an official registered laptop it should have the product key usually on the bottom of the laptop.

It sounds to me like ransomware. If you can figure out how to get into the BIOS (just look up the laptop model and Google and also include the keyword 'BIOS key' to get which button to press) then I would grab a boot drive with whatever Windows install you want to put on there (I suggest Windows 10) and wipe the drive from there.