Is it a bad idea to use a Molex to 6-pin adapter?

Just found out that my PSU has only 1 6-pin connector, but 4 Molex cables. Just for the lulz - and it would look cooler than just buying a 970 after Pascal drops - I'd like to throw another 950 into my rig. I haven't bought the second one yet, so there's no pressure to help some noob that doesn't know that it's mostly a waste of time to get two 950s. I'm just wondering if using a dual-Molex connector to 6-pin would be at all a good idea. If it isn't, then I'll just go ahead and take the boring option of getting a 970 or something.

Also, is Molex supposed to be capitalized? I'm not entirely sure.

if your PSU only has one 6 pin then its either not powerful enough for a high end GPU or its a POS from china which will burn your house down

either way, you should upgrade that PSU before installing a new GPU

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, fireclaw316 said:

Just found out that my PSU has only 1 6-pin connector, but 4 Molex cables. Just for the lulz - and it would look cooler than just buying a 970 after Pascal drops - I'd like to throw another 950 into my rig. I haven't bought the second one yet, so there's no pressure to help some noob that doesn't know that it's mostly a waste of time to get two 950s. I'm just wondering if using a dual-Molex connector to 6-pin would be at all a good idea. If it isn't, then I'll just go ahead and take the boring option of getting a 970 or something.

I pulled it off with a 270X with 1 proper 6-pin, and 1 molex (2 molex to be exact) to 6-pin. But I soon changed my PSU

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Depends on the PSU

If its a modern PSU it probably means it cant handle parts that need 6 pins

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

3 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWIns said:

I pulled it off with a 270X with 1 proper 6-pin, and 1 molex (2 molex to be exact) to 6-pin. But I soon changed my PSU

I've done so in the past as well. Definitely a temporary solution though, most PSUs today have the correct number of PCI-E connectors (except maybe the Seasonic S12II 620W which could drive 2x6pin SLI but only has 3 connectors).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

I've done so in the past as well. Definitely a temporary solution though, most PSUs today have the correct number of PCI-E connectors (except maybe the Seasonic S12II 620W which could drive 2x6pin SLI but only has 3 connectors).

Well for sure, the Corsair CX430M was pretty temporary

10 minutes ago, fireclaw316 said:

If you can save for a new power supply. If you care anything about how your computer looks buy a new power supply

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

if your PSU only has one 6 pin then its either not powerful enough for a high end GPU or its a POS from china which will burn your house down

either way, you should upgrade that PSU before installing a new GPU

1 hour ago, thekeemo said:

Depends on the PSU

If its a modern PSU it probably means it cant handle parts that need 6 pins

It's an Antec VP-450. It's rated at 450w, I've been using it for over a year, and 70% of its Newegg reviews are 5 Eggs.

Just now, fireclaw316 said:

It's an Antec VP-450. It's rated at 450w, I've been using it for over a year, and 70% of its Newegg reviews are 5 Eggs.

its fine to use molex adapters with that.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.