1080p resolution games to be mandatory on PS4 Neo

asim1999
Just now, VagabondWraith said:

@GeekJump

Sony sold the PS3 at a loss when it launched. Even moreso when it's price dropped because of stagnant sales. I don't think it's unrealistic for them to support native 4K in the Neo if they're really gonna want to push 4K mainstream. I mean, they developed Blu-ray after all.

But at the current specs and all this info coming out, the Neo won't natively support 4K. It's all upscaled to 4K. But, with all this news going back and forth idk what's accurate or not! :P 

I know consoles are usually at a lost but I don't think they're willing to take that much of a hit. The power needed for 4k is more than $500 worth of hardware and the stand alone 4K players are at around the same price. Maybe the PS5 will have 4K but the Neo wont at that price.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

31 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

But at the current specs and all this info coming out, the Neo won't natively support 4K. It's all upscaled to 4K. But, with all this news going back and forth idk what's accurate or not! :P 

I know consoles are usually at a lost but I don't think they're willing to take that much of a hit. The power needed for 4k is more than $500 worth of hardware and the stand alone 4K players are at around the same price. Maybe the PS5 will have 4K but the Neo wont at that price.

I'm talking 4K movie playback, not 4K gaming.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

I'm talking 4K movie playback, not 4K gaming.

We have to see when it's officially announced. Because none of the upgrades revealed are for the disc player and the one currently in Ps4 cannot play UHD or 4K blu rays.

Also Sony hasn't even released a standalone 4k br player why would it appear first here?

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

4 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

We have to see when it's officially announced. Because none of the upgrades revealed are for the disc player and the one currently in Ps4 cannot play UHD or 4K blu rays.

Also Sony hasn't even released a standalone 4k br player why would it appear first here?

Wasn't their PS3 one of their first? They were banking on BD becoming standard. The leaked upgrades are dev kits. Devs don't need a 4K BD drive. The one in the PS4 doesn't mean anything.

This would be a perfect opportunity for Sony to enter the market. Many people bought the PS3 just for the Blu-ray player.

I'll be disappointed if they don't include it. It's a deal breaker for me.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 minute ago, VagabondWraith said:

Wasn't their PS3 one of their first? They were banking on BD becoming standard. The leaked upgrades are dev kits. Devs don't need a 4K BD drive. The one in the PS4 doesn't mean anything.

This would be a perfect opportunity for Sony to enter the market. Many people bought the PS3 just for the Blu-ray player.

I'll be disappointed if they don't include it. It's a deal breaker for me.

Yeah the PS3 had Blu Ray but not 4K Blu Ray.

Before all the Neo news popped up and when UHD/4K discs were announced a Sony Exec confirmed that the player in the PS4 was only made to handle current (back then) blu ray and couldn't support 4k or UHD discs. He said they had no plans to change the disc drive for the current generation - but them again that was before neo news came out.

8 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

Yeah the PS3 had Blu Ray but not 4K Blu Ray.

Before all the Neo news popped up and when UHD/4K discs were announced a Sony Exec confirmed that the player in the PS4 was only made to handle current (back then) blu ray and couldn't support 4k or UHD discs. He said they had no plans to change the disc drive for the current generation - but them again that was before neo news came out.

UHD is huge for Sony in the same way BD was in 2006. They have business interests in the whole content pipeline from Sony Pictures to professional production equipment to consumer grade cameras, smart phones, TVs, to discs and the PlayStation video store. There's no way this thing doesn't support UHD playback.

6 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

UHD is huge for Sony in the same way BD was in 2006. They have business interests in the whole content pipeline from Sony Pictures to professional production equipment to consumer grade cameras, smart phones, TVs, to discs and the PlayStation video store. There's no way this thing doesn't support UHD playback.

Know I don't know which were talking about. 4K video streaming playback or physical UHD disc playback? I would love for it to be able to play 4K movies. My PS3 (and 4) main purpose are pretty much fancy blu ray players. If I can get away with buying a $500 4K player that can also play PS4 games I would instantly buy it. 

But, Sony has yet to release a UHD/4k player. All there current products for 4K video are either via streaming or upscaling to 'near 4K' quality. I suspect the Neo would be the same thing. It can stream 4K video but it probably won't be able to play the discs that are coming out.

11 hours ago, GeekJump said:

I'm not sure if that's right because most Blu-Ray drives on the market can technically read UHD disks. The main change of UHD Blu-Ray has nothing to do with the disks themselves. It can be a higher capacity BDXL disk unlike standard Blurays but it can also technically be a standard dual-layer 50GB disk. The main difference is the content on the disk itself and the ability for the device to render it properly. The physical disks are still "BluRays".

So most of the issues with the PS4 probably doesn't have anything to do with the drive itself. It might do but I'm not convinced that it does. The bigger issue would be the fact that it only has HDMI 1.4 which doesn't support 60Hz 4K or the higher colour depth. There's also a fair chance that it doesn't have hardware HEVC decoding. Those are things that are necessary for decent UHD BluRay playback. And while they're at it I guess they'll also bump the GPU/CPU specs up and throw in better WiFi. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

2 hours ago, skywake said:

I'm not sure if that's right because most Blu-Ray drives on the market can technically read UHD disks. The main change of UHD Blu-Ray has nothing to do with the disks themselves. It can be a higher capacity BDXL disk unlike standard Blurays but it can also technically be a standard dual-layer 50GB disk. The main difference is the content on the disk itself and the ability for the device to render it properly. The physical disks are still "BluRays".

So most of the issues with the PS4 probably doesn't have anything to do with the drive itself. It might do but I'm not convinced that it does. The bigger issue would be the fact that it only has HDMI 1.4 which doesn't support 60Hz 4K or the higher colour depth. There's also a fair chance that it doesn't have hardware HEVC decoding. Those are things that are necessary for decent UHD BluRay playback. And while they're at it I guess they'll also bump the GPU/CPU specs up and throw in better WiFi. 

Certain drives are only capable of penetrating a certain number of layers, so if you have a triple-layer Blu-ray disc in a dual-layer capable drive, not everything will work properly. 

Edited by Godlygamer23
Correcting pathetic typo.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Certain drives can only capable of penetrating a certain number of layers, so if you have a triple-layer Blu-ray disc in a dual-layer capable drive, not everything will work properly. 

For sure but I was just making the point that drives that do support 3 and 4 layer Blu-Ray disks aren't uncommon or expensive. I don't know if the drive in the PS4 does support those disks but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. BDXL has been floating around since well before the PS4 launched. The real issue is hardware HEVC decoding and HDMI 2.0 support. Both are needed for UHD BluRay but neither of them were available in time for the PS4 launch.

9 hours ago, skywake said:

Really? Then why are there no 4K blu ray players for cheap out there?? Samsung and Panasonic released some but there both expensive. Everything else is 4K upscaling. Is this some blu shit marketing trick!?!?!? >.<

the Sony exec at least said the current PS4 couldn't play those discs so if they don't make the necessary upgrades the most we can get for movies/shows is by streaming 4k content.

1 hour ago, bydus said:

who cares, they should have made 60fps mandatory

Well the Neo will gain traction as console gamers would say 4K 30FPS would look 'cinematic'

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

17 hours ago, GeekJump said:

Really? Then why are there no 4K blu ray players for cheap out there?? Samsung and Panasonic released some but there both expensive. Everything else is 4K upscaling. Is this some blu shit marketing trick!?!?!? >.<

Two reasons:

1. H.264 decoding at 1080p can be done on a potato, H.265 decoding at 4K isn't as easy

2. It's the early adopters premium. If you have a 4K TV already? You can spend a bit more....

On 4/23/2016 at 4:24 AM, skywake said:

Two reasons:

1. H.264 decoding at 1080p can be done on a potato, H.265 decoding at 4K isn't as easy

2. It's the early adopters premium. If you have a 4K TV already? You can spend a bit more....

I was offline for a few days so I forgot where were we a bit :3

All am saying is from all the rumors, even the more recent ones they past couple days, don't have it have the ability to play 4k discs. Sony is not known for being the generous company. They prob. don't want to bust into their own 4k player sales when they start releasing them. But who knows.

BTW I agree with most people hoping that it can play 4k discs. If it's just a graphics upgrade - not worth it to me.