Static after installing GTX 970

Jademalo

I recently upgraded from SLI 570s to a single 970. It's the Asus Turbo or something, the white one.

After I installed it, I noticed a lot of static noise whenever I was running a game.

Normally the recommendations in response to this are "Get a shielded sound card", but I have a Xonar Essence STX with a pair of HD800s. I never had this at all with the SLI 570s.

The biggest issue isn't the headphones though, it's the line in. It is about 20% static on idle, and about 50% static when in a game. It makes it totally unusable for streaming.

Any ideas? I'm going to do some cable swapping to see if I can alleviate it slightly, but it's pretty bad.

Thanks!

Yep, for both the sound card and the GPU.

With the sound card I'm using the latest Xonar UNI drivers, and for the GPU It's the latest Nvidia drivers that were clean installed with DDU. This issue has been present through the last few Nvidia drivers as well. I've been putting up with it for a couple of months, but then I discovered how bad the mic gets today.

Can you see if onboard sound is also affected? 

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

You could try to slot the two cards as far apart as possible to limit the static being picked up?

“Does Yggdrasil drink from it because it is the Well of Wisdom, or is it the Well of Wisdom because Yggdrasil drinks from it?” 
― J. Aleksandr WoottonHer Unwelcome Inheritance

CPU Intel 6700k @4.7ghz  Motherboard Asus Rampage Formula VIII RAM 16gb (4x4) Corsair Dominator Platinums GPU Evga Hybrid 980ti

Case ThermalTake X71 Storage 512gb 950 Samsung M.2 PSU 1000Hxi Corsair Cooling 115i Corsair CLC 280mm
Operating System Windows 10 64bit

Unfortunately I've only got two PCIe slots I can use - One directly above, and one directly below.

I've switched the sound card to the slot below, and also switched the power cable going to the GPU. On the headphone side, It's not perfect, but it's better. On the Microphone side, it's exactly as bad as it was.

Mic seems fine with onboard audio, so I guess I'll have to use that for the time being. Can't test the headphones in it since they use the bigger jack.

Please follow the audio troubleshooting guide in my signature. Most likely anything that anyone can thing to suggest piecemeal here is already in it.

Thanks, I'll give that a read through!

I've had issues with ground loops in the past, and while this sounds like a ground loop, I get it even if the only connection is the PC.