NerdSports - Vessel Exclusive Series

1 minute ago, Daring said:

In the way how I mean "exclusivity", it means I don't like content being locked to one specific platform. Doesn't matter if it's paid content or not, I'm completely okay with paying for content if I need to. But if it's available only one one platform and will only be on that one platform, that's not so okay with me. k? k.

youtube red isnt available in canada, so they cant put it there

also afaik there is no other video platform that lets you put videos behind a pay wall like vessel

it would also suck if I had to pay for a second service just to see nerdsports, when I already have a vessel account

so unless you're one of those people with a painfully slow internet connection, I dont see why you are so upset about it only being on vessel.

Would you feel better if they also put it up on a second vessel-like website you have to pay for?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

youtube red isnt available in canada, so they cant put it there

also afaik there is no other video platform that lets you put videos behind a pay wall like vessel

it would also suck if I had to pay for a second service just to see nerdsports, when I already have a vessel account

so unless you're one of those people with a painfully slow internet connection, I dont see why you are so upset about it only being on vessel.

Would you feel better if they also put it up on a second vessel-like website you have to pay for?

Oh, yeah. That's right, YouTube Red isn't available in Canada for whatever reason.

And I do have a pretty slow internet connection (only 10Mb/s out of 100Mb/s) that's also highly unstable. It's what I get for being the furthest away from the router...

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

Oh, yeah. That's right, YouTube Red isn't available in Canada for whatever reason.

And I do have a pretty slow internet connection (only 10Mb/s out of 100Mb/s) that's also highly unstable. It's what I get for being the furthest away from the router...

people complain about vessel buffering issues, I have never encountered any problems with vessel at all

i notice people with vessel issues usually have slow internet connection, lower than 20mbps download

but overall i think vessel works great and people just have biased views because of payment, which as you can tell from the youtube comment section "I'm 14 I dont have a credit card" most of the people complaining are children

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

people complain about vessel buffering issues, I have never encountered any problems with vessel at all

i notice people with vessel issues usually have slow internet connection, lower than 20mbps download

but overall i think vessel works great and people just have biased views because of payment, which as you can tell from the youtube comment section "I'm 14 I dont have a credit card" most of the people complaining are children

I'm 22 going on 23 and I don't have a stable form of income. There's my excuse :P 

If I was closer to the router and had a more stable form of income, I'd have less of an issue with Vessel. But eh, whatever.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

16 minutes ago, Jobbe03 said:

Do feel free to add a source to your claims. I'd love to see those videos they've made that are exclusive to other sites/channels. 

Maybe you should also do your research and read my posts properly, instead of just blindly defending folks. 

Honestly, and I repeat I don't give a fuck about the "issue".  I just absolutely despise excuses and kissasses

unreleased video made for samsung

non-ltt video produced for youtube

there are also several ads that I wont bother to find which were created by LMG and sold to companies

so this "exclusive" thing isnt new

there is plenty of content made by LMG which is bought and given to a company, because that's what LMG does, its part of the business

not everything they create is uploaded on their youtube channel

in this case, vessel is the one that bought content

that's no different from someone like kingston buying content

LMG gets paid, LMG creates video, company can do what they want with the video

I dont see what excuses you're talking about, LMG has made it pretty clear this this is paid by vessel and is only available on vessel, they havent made any excuses

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Daring said:

In the way how I mean "exclusivity", it means I don't like content being locked to one specific platform. Don't know where you got this idea that I don't like paid content from, but it doesn't matter if it's paid content or not. I'm completely okay with paying for content if I need to. But if it's available only one one platform and will only be on that one platform, that's not so okay with me. k? k.

So I'm guessing you don't watch Netflix's exclusive series because they are only available on that one platform... Or Game Of Thrones because it's only available on HBO... Or really any TV series ever made since they are generally exclusive to one specific channel, which you can't watch if you aren't subscribed to it, right now you're essentially complaining that you can't watch TV series A, that's exclusive to Channel A, on Channel B, C, D and E.

Comparing Vessel to a TV provider works perfectly fine, you pay them a fee and they give you a bunch of content you wouldn't be able to get (legally) without paying. NerdSports, to me, is just like any other channel on TV that I'm not subscribed to.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Maybe because he got several children which costs a small fortune to raise and his employees don't? Or maybe he is bad with managing money? LMG seems to have a ridiculous amount of overhead compared to other YouTube channels.

Define sellout: "An occurrence in which you do something that does not agree with your beliefs, values, etc., especially in order to make money."

In this case, misleading his fans and posting exclusive content in order to make more money.

You can only speculate at how much he is making, or how greedy he may or may not be.  He's running a business, so presumably wants to make as much as possible, like all business owners.  And thankfully so, otherwise we wouldn't get as many videos from him, nor would they be of such high quality.  LMG provides an incredibly valuable service to their clients, and clients pay for it accordingly.  

All of this is very obvious to people with some business experience.

And in order to prove he is a sellout you would have to prove his beliefs and values.  Still waiting for that proof. 

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

13 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

So I'm guessing you don't watch Netflix's exclusive series because they are only available on that one platform... Or Game Of Thrones because it's only available on HBO... Or really any TV series ever made since they are generally exclusive to one specific channel, which you can't watch if you aren't subscribed to it, right now you're essentially complaining that you can't watch TV series A, that's exclusive to Channel A, on Channel B, C, D and E.

Comparing Vessel to a TV provider works perfectly fine, you pay them a fee and they give you a bunch of content you wouldn't be able to get (legally) without paying. NerdSports, to me, is just like any other channel on TV that I'm not subscribed to.

Well that's assuming I watch TV :P

I'll give ya the answer to that: I don't.

Why wasn't Linus wearing his sandles??????

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

As a person with a bunch of LTT shirts, the hoodie, LTT noctua fans, and was a gold member for a long ass time back when it was $25/mo, I'm confident in saying I'm not paying money for vessel, and as such I'm going to miss out on your content.  You guys can say it's a different project all you want, but it's still LMG content, you guys are clearly in the videos, and likely doing most of the producing as well.

Paying for vessel doesn't benefit me as a viewer.  There's infinitely more content that is free for me to enjoy.  I get that it's a choice you guys have to make, trying to become a more widely based content production company, and therefore increasing company longevity, but it's a choice I also have to make as a viewer and supporter of you guys.

Just be careful your existing free content doesn't suffer, which in some ways it already has, (whether or not that's related to the exclusive vessel content I have no idea, but it's painfully obvious you guys have your hands in so many pots right now with different content creation) because you're people, and cannot do everything all the time forever.  Because once that shift hits, I'll have to pull my chute and be disappointed.  And being disappointed sucks.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

8 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

You can only speculate at how much he is making, or how greedy he may or may not be.  He's running a business, so presumably wants to make as much as possible, like all business owners.  And thankfully so, otherwise we wouldn't get as many videos from him, nor would they be of such high quality.  LMG provides an incredibly valuable service to their clients, and clients pay for it accordingly.  

It's not "just speculation". You can look at his viewers, the time he posted how much he made from the $1,000 HDMI cable, minimum wage laws in Canada and lots of other things to get a rough estimate of how much they make. We also got websites like Socialblade to show us how his viewer numbers has increased, and we can look up roughly the dates when he employed new people. LMG has an incredibly high amount of overhead compared to other channels. The reason is because they keep employing more and more people. He may be running a business, but you don't always try to maximize profits at all cost. For example he might hire another person in order to put less pretty on everyone else, despite the new person not boosting profits by a significant amount. Right?

He did not have to give Ed as much time to edit Scrapyard wars as he got. It might have made more financial sense to do it the way they did the other series, but the videos might have turned out worse. That's not a "maximize profits at all cost" move either.

For someone who is implying that they got "business experience" you seen pretty ignorant about it.

8 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

And in order to prove he is a sellout you would have to prove his beliefs and values.  Still waiting for that proof. 

So not being misleading is not one of his beliefs and values? Well shit... The channel has a way more important issue in that case.

On 3/7/2016 at 5:48 PM, LAwLz said:

This is a perfect example of selling out.

Back when Vessel was announced, Linus made sure to state, over and over, that the content was just going to be early access, and he would still upload to YouTube. To quote Linus "everything we release will still go on YouTube as well", and "all Linus Media Group content will continue to be available for free and ad supported on both YouTube and Vessel" and I am fairly sure he said similar things in other videos and posts as well.

Then Vessel offers him money and oops, all of a sudden all the previous statements were just "badly worded" and no longer true. When it was convenient for him to say the content would go up on YouTube (back when people were very skeptical of Vessel) he said just that, but now when things has changed and he can make more money, he goes against it. That is selling out.

I will neither enjoy this new series (because I won't renew Vessel) and I won't pretend like it was never made because I was lied to, and so were you. If you are fine with being lied to then good for you I guess. What bothers me though is this sleazy attitude Linus has where he is going "oh it was just badly worded and miscommunication" instead of being honest and saying it how it actually is. The circumstances has changed and he is going back on his words.

In that same thread Linus apologized for having been misleading. At the time he did mean all content, because he didn't think that he would get paid to make exclusive content. Then he was offered to do it and went back on his word.

So, is Episode 1 of NerdSports freely available to everybody or is that just because it's been out for more than the 7 days of "exclusivity"? Because I can watch it just fine without a subscription to Vessel.

https://www.vessel.com/videos/GzH72QSbA

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It's not "just speculation". You can look at his viewers, the time he posted how much he made from the $1,000 HDMI cable, minimum wage laws in Canada and lots of other things to get a rough estimate of how much they make. We also got websites like Socialblade to show us how his viewer numbers has increased, and we can look up roughly the dates when he employed new people. LMG has an incredibly high amount of overhead compared to other channels. The reason is because they keep employing more and more people. He may be running a business, but you don't always try to maximize profits at all cost. For example he might hire another person in order to put less pretty on everyone else, despite the new person not boosting profits by a significant amount. Right?

He did not have to give Ed as much time to edit Scrapyard wars as he got. It might have made more financial sense to do it the way they did the other series, but the videos might have turned out worse. That's not a "maximize profits at all cost" move either.

For someone who is implying that they got "business experience" you seen pretty ignorant about it.

You are incorrect.  First off, I never said businesses try to maximize profit at all costs.  That would imply there are no ethical restrictions, which is something LMG has to consider very carefully especially in their review videos.  They must carefully balance the desires of clients with those of viewers.  Ethics has to play a role in that or they wouldn't last long.  But the profit motive is also incredibly important.  It is what drives entrepreneurs to develop new products and services.  Without it, there would be no tech industry.  Linus started a company to make money doing something he loves.

You are right, LMG sure does have enormous overhead for a Youtube channel!  Linus has reinvested his money into the company to be able to grow, which has worked really well for him.  It's actually very impressive.  I wonder how long he can keep it up - how big can he get?

And second, it absolutely is "just speculation".  Until Linus releases his financial reports, it's all speculation.  As you said, all you can do is "get a rough estimate of how much they make".   And minimum wage?  I seriously doubt Linus pays minimum wage for the skilled labor he needs.

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

So not being misleading is not one of his beliefs and values? Well shit... The channel has a way more important issue in that case.

In that same thread Linus apologized for having been misleading. At the time he did mean all content, because he didn't think that he would get paid to make exclusive content. Then he was offered to do it and went back on his word.

I stand corrected.  As I said above, LMG has to carefully balance the desires of clients and viewers.  Seems like he stepped a little too far toward clients.  I wonder how many viewers it will cost him?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

So, is Episode 1 of NerdSports freely available to everybody or is that just because it's been out for more than the 7 days of "exclusivity"? Because I can watch it just fine without a subscription to Vessel.

https://www.vessel.com/videos/GzH72QSbA

As far as I know, the episodes do NOT go to the free platform 7 days after launch. I'll have to wait on word from Vessel to confirm what's going on there, but they may just be putting it in front of the paywall as a one-episode "teaser" for the series.

36 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

As far as I know, the episodes do NOT go to the free platform 7 days after launch. I'll have to wait on word from Vessel to confirm what's going on there, but they may just be putting it in front of the paywall as a one-episode "teaser" for the series.

Let episode one be free as a preview/teaser episode and the rest be paid.

"Simple Yet Complex" 

Just now, Daring said:

Linus just announced that the first episode is free now.

Yep.

Want to be totally clear on this - Vessel has decided to make this episode free, but (to my knowledge) they have no plans to do so with episodes 2-5. Don't want to confuse anyone thinking that there will only be a 7-day window on the rest of the episodes.

I guess what would be nice is if vessel made it so that after a certain period of time the "free" accounts could watch what was once only for the paid people but with ads.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I guess what would be nice is if vessel made it so that after a certain period of time the "free" accounts could watch what was once only for the paid people but with ads.

that's youtube's model, vessel has an entirely different model, i'm 99% sure they will not do this

1 minute ago, mikat said:

that's youtube's model, vessel has an entirely different model, i'm 99% sure they will not do this

I don't care if that's Youtube's model, but Doesn't Youtube Red only remain for those who subscribed?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

This has got to be the worst marketing possible, for both parties. 

Communication is overrated anyways..... 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I have a vessel subscription, and find it amusing watching the episodes so far. :)

I had an idea for another episode, should they choose to produce it?

Get some of the players from the different real sports teams together, and have an e-sports competition vs the Keyboard Warriors. :) They'd play the more common top-tier PC games ... BUT... like the sports teams appear to be handicapped (is it okay to say that?  If not, a mod can edit this part while please leaving my suggestion intact) ... the KWs would also be. :)

In this case, each real sports team player would get their own dedicated PC that'd be equivalent to the Supermicro 10 gamers 1 PC build that Linus mentioned wanting to do.  For displays, they'd have multiple 5K displays surrounding them.

The entire Keyboard Warriors team would have to share (in multi-gamers, 1 PC style) something equivalent to Linus's Scrapyard 3 Troll System, or his first ever gaming system. :) Better yet, something from back in the days when Intel still marketed their chips as x86. :D  (Problem would be running Witcher 3 on an 8086, though...)  For a display, they'd all be sharing an old dumbphone display, or like a TI-81 graphing calculator display. :P  To keep the FPS from getting too high, the games would be rendered at 15K, then downconverted for the display. :P