NerdSports - Vessel Exclusive Series

Man, watching Linus and the crew get rekt at volleyball was a surprisingly fun experience.

Sorry, LMG guys :P 

LMG shouldn't even bother airing the remaining episodes on Vessel. They knocked it out of the park with this episode and if any of the other episodes are even remotely as good then I'd be surprised. :D

Best line in any LMG video ever: "I played for 2 years in grade 5 and 6, I was OK and now I'm apparently the captain of the team." @Slick 2016

I also really liked the scenes at the end with Colton (the slow-mo shrug and bathroom stall scenes sum up the video nicely).

-KuJoe

Absolutely love it! I kind of enjoy vessel now, YouTube with all their sh*t lately gets on my nerves to be honest, they always mess with my subscriber list and don't show all videos and so on!

And also, I see this as a good possibility to help out LTT!

And by the way, this was maybe the funniest video I've ever seen from you guys, absolutely amazing! The production quality is unbelievable! :)

Corsair 900D |ASUS  Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | 16 GB Dominator Platinum 1600Mhz | Asus GTX 780 |

Intel 520 Series 180Gb SSD | BeQuiet 860W PSU | GPU, CPU, MOBO watercooled with 2x480 rads, 12 BitFenix Spectre Pro total | Acrylic Tubing from Primochill | Icemodz RGB-LEDs | Aquacomputer pump, flow control and fan/liquid control | 27" Dell U2711

Build-Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88573-the-red-beast-900d-780-liquidcooled-first-build/

Ok I give it too them this is good. I can't wait for the next ones. Decently better than scrapyard wars.

21 hours ago, AxelRantila said:

I do not mind this being exclusive to Vessel, even if I won't be watching (I just haven't had a good experience with it, and Android support came waaaaaay too late) 

However, it is really starting to feel like unless you use Vessel your support is not worth much. For example, even if you support via the forum, the CSF Patreon, buying merch and whatnot, you still can't watch LMG content early unless you also pay for Vessel. 

Linus already explained that they wanted to send Vessel the emails of forum supporters and pay a bulk fee, but Vessel said it was too complex to do.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Loved it. Mostly because seeing tall women beat men at sports.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

1 hour ago, Hawx said:

Linus already explained that they wanted to send Vessel the emails of forum supporters and pay a bulk fee, but Vessel said it was too complex to do.

Where did he do that? I must have missed it.

While i've seen all the flak that y'all have taken over this project, misguided as it may be, my $.02 has to come in at some point.

I'm all for supporting branching out, diversifying yourselves, it's how you're going to stay in business. But Vessel is just a platform that I can not get behind. I gave it a genuine try. I wanted it to be good, but the year free that I had was plagued by problem upon problem. It eventually reached the point where I flat out gave up. I quit using vessel, let my free year expire, and unsubscribed from the incessant "LOOK... NEW THING!!! come back pls" emails. Vessel offers me nothing that YouTube can't already (with the exception of being ad free and still supporting subscribed channels), and is arguably less-feature packed and locked behind a subscribe wall.

A few of the channels that I subscribe to gave Vessel a try, and so far as I know, LTT is the only one that stuck around.

So long as YouTube is still a viable platform, i'll be watching my videos, adblock whitelisted, there.

When my financial situation is back under control (some really rough times right now), i'll be back to monthly subscribing here, and looking into YOuTube Red (Genuinely don't know how it works, haven't been following it due to my lack of disposable income.)

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I watched it yesterday when it came out.  I actually laughed pretty hard.  Thanks guys for making this @LinusTech @nicklmg @Slick and the rest of the LMG team!  

Made my 1 year Vessel sub worth it already.  :)

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

15 hours ago, BenjaminC said:

@nicklmg Are the benefits from YT Red exclusives good enough to have it there? Vessel's lack of 1440p streaming is a major disappointment, and they must be using lossy compression or something because colors in vessel content look terrible.

YouTube hasn't contacted us about doing any Red exclusives, so I wouldn't know.

I've brought up the lack of higher resolutions with them a few times, no firm update...

14 hours ago, KuJoe said:

LMG shouldn't even bother airing the remaining episodes on Vessel. They knocked it out of the park with this episode and if any of the other episodes are even remotely as good then I'd be surprised. :D

Best line in any LMG video ever: "I played for 2 years in grade 5 and 6, I was OK and now I'm apparently the captain of the team." @Slick 2016

I also really liked the scenes at the end with Colton (the slow-mo shrug and bathroom stall scenes sum up the video nicely).

Huge compliment! But to be totally honest I think they just get better from here on out... :) hope you enjoy the rest as much as you did this one!

I was under the impression you guys were against exclusivity, either way I've tried Vessel for the year and never really did liked it.  

As a lacrosse player, I am genuinely excited for 4/27.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 @3.8 GHz     |     Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212     |     RAM: G.Skill NS Series 4x4GB      |       Motherboard: GIGABYTE 990FXA     |     Case: Antec One     |     Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270x HAWK    |    PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2    |     HDD: 1 WD Black (Programs Files), 1 WD Caviar Blue (Boot)     |     KB & M: Cooler Master Storm Devastator Blue     |     Speakers: Logitech Z506     |     UPS:  CyberPower 1500w     |

Every time you use comic sans, one programmer dies.

https://youtu.be/8_ZCmMbfYd0?t=1m43s

So when Linus stated that "All Linus Media Group content will continue to be available for free on you tube and ad supported" it was just lip service to avoid the backlash of having people unsubscribe from his channels.

Also of note this new series pops up after the 1 year free offer expires.

Vessel even promote it as.

Watch as the Linus Media Group take on athletes in their own sports

6 minutes ago, VirtualNinja said:

https://youtu.be/8_ZCmMbfYd0?t=1m43s

So when Linus stated that "All Linus Media Group content will continue to be available for free on you tube and ad supported" it was just lip service to avoid the backlash of having people unsubscribe from his channels.

Also of note this new series pops up after the 1 year free offer expires.

Vessel even promote it as.

I guess you missed the explanation Linus provided or chose to ignore it. Nerd Sports is not a Linus Media Group property, they were hired to do it and thus is not Linus Media Group content as they didn't release it (just starred in it). I don't know how much of the production was handled by LMG but it was contracted by Vessel and thus not LMG's content. You don't really think people who make commercials own the rights to them and the products do you? If somebody approaches you and hires to you build something for them you don't own what you built.

As for the timing of release... Vessel is smart, LMG is just lucky that Vessel is smart.

These kinds of comments just show how little some people know about how business works in the real world.

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I guess you missed the explanation Linus provided or chose to ignore it. Nerd Sports is not a Linus Media Group property, they were hired to do it and thus is not Linus Media Group content as they didn't release it (just stared in it). I don't know how much of the production was handled by LMG but it was contracted by Vessel and thus not LMG's content. You don't really think people who make commercials own the rights to them and the products do you? If somebody approaches you and hires to you build something you don't own what you built.

As for the timing of release... Vessel is smart, LMG is just lucky that Vessel is smart.

These kind of comments just show how little some people know about how business works in the real world.

Oh I heard it, technicalities can always get someone out of backing up previous statements. However When said "new production" is featuring the LMG staff, is promoted by vessel as LMG and is also promoted on a official LMG channel it doesn't hold water.

P.S. no need to get personal

Just pointing out what was said previously and keeping LMG honest.

Just now, VirtualNinja said:

Oh I heard it, technicalities can always get someone out of backing up previous statements. However When said "new production" is featuring the LMG staff, is promoted by vessel as LMG and is also promoted on a official LMG channel it doesn't hold water.

My comment about the lack of knowledge wasn't directed at only you since there have been others who wish the world worked differently also. Linus was 100% honest in his video when he said LMG content will always be 100% free. Even if you want to take logic out of the mix he said Nerd Sports content will be available for free for the world in a few years as outlined in the contract with Vessel. If we're being technical here he never put a date on when the free content would be released.

-KuJoe

On 4/21/2016 at 2:41 AM, Semper said:

While i've seen all the flak that y'all have taken over this project, misguided as it may be, my $.02 has to come in at some point.

I'm all for supporting branching out, diversifying yourselves, it's how you're going to stay in business. But Vessel is just a platform that I can not get behind. I gave it a genuine try. I wanted it to be good, but the year free that I had was plagued by problem upon problem. It eventually reached the point where I flat out gave up. I quit using vessel, let my free year expire, and unsubscribed from the incessant "LOOK... NEW THING!!! come back pls" emails. Vessel offers me nothing that YouTube can't already (with the exception of being ad free and still supporting subscribed channels), and is arguably less-feature packed and locked behind a subscribe wall.

A few of the channels that I subscribe to gave Vessel a try, and so far as I know, LTT is the only one that stuck around.

So long as YouTube is still a viable platform, i'll be watching my videos, adblock whitelisted, there.

When my financial situation is back under control (some really rough times right now), i'll be back to monthly subscribing here, and looking into YOuTube Red (Genuinely don't know how it works, haven't been following it due to my lack of disposable income.)

vessel is not ad free

vessel is a secondary platform that gives content creators far more money than adsense does for 1 week early content

On 4/21/2016 at 2:05 PM, biggiebody said:

I was under the impression you guys were against exclusivity, either way I've tried Vessel for the year and never really did liked it.  

with the amount of children that use adblock and dont support LMG at all, there will always be exclusivity

such as exclusive subforums on this forum for people who pay

exclusive badges for forum contributors

exclusive content for patreon supporters

this is how linus can feed his family and provide 10 videos a week of free content on youtube

1 hour ago, VirtualNinja said:

there is a difference between LMG making a video for the LTT youtube channel and a company paying LMG to make content for them

in case you didnt notice, this is a "media" company not a "free youtube videos" company

anyone can pay LMG $10k or $20k or whatever for LMG to make them exclusive content

just like you can go to a store and buy a banana all for yourself

this is what vessel did

they bought themselves some content

maybe you didnt know this, but LMG has done ads and stuff like that in the past too for companies that paid them to do it

its part of the business

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You know what will be interesting and better ?

If bronze or silver or gold members can get free access to vessel.

That would be handy and far more better.

(⌐■_■) 

3 hours ago, Ridska said:

You know what will be interesting and better ?

If bronze or silver or gold members can get free access to vessel.

That would be handy and far more better.

We've brought this up a few times with Vessel. Apparently it's not possible to properly monitor and implement this through their platform with how accounts are set up in the back-end.

Really wish we could do that as I think that would be great for members here (as well as our CSF Patreon contributors) and make a ton of sense for everyone involved :( 

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

We've brought this up a few times with Vessel. Apparently it's not possible to properly monitor and implement this through their platform with how accounts are set up in the back-end.

Really wish we could do that as I think that would be great for members here (as well as our CSF Patreon contributors) and make a ton of sense for everyone involved :( 

Ok,thanks for explaining. If it happens one day, please tell us about it. 

5 hours ago, Ridska said:

Any one else noticed the amount of dislikes of the announcement video of nerdsports ?

Yup, because nobody seems to understand(or want to understand) that it's not really LMG's content, it's Vessel's.

I see NerdSports as a TV show, when a network pays to have a series made, it would be ridiculous to allow a different network to have access to that content without an expensive licensing deal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 hours ago, Ridska said:

Any one else noticed the amount of dislikes of the announcement video of nerdsports ?

People are selfish, plain and simple.

-KuJoe

I understand LinusMediaGroup needs to make money to pay  employees and produce videos. I truly do understand that, I also thank you for not making the first video behind a paywall your "usual" content. But "LMG videos will never be behind a paywall" was something I could get behind, truly, I admired the dedication of holding to such a difficult ideal. But see, it can be spun many ways "this is not an LMG video it belongs to vessel" but in the end it makes me sad to see LMG betray the principle of "free videos" because if I wanted to watch a well funded TV series I would do just that, go watch TV. I don't mind Vessel I think making money from early viewers is a great idea because ultimate my everyone still gets to watch the content. But this paywall makes me truly sad :'( . I know LMG needs to pay its employees, that is why Linus actually made me stop using adblock entirely on the internet. I thank you Linus for so many awesome videos :-) but I will stop  watching your videos, however much I want to watch them to not betray the principles I just explained here.

25 minutes ago, guillaumedsde said:

I understand LinusMediaGroup needs to make money to pay  employees and produce videos. I truly do understand that, I also thank you for not making the first video behind a paywall your "usual" content. But "LMG videos will never be behind a paywall" was something I could get behind, truly, I admired the dedication of holding to such a difficult ideal. But see, it can be spun many ways "this is not an LMG video it belongs to vessel" but in the end it makes me sad to see LMG betray the principle of "free videos" because if I wanted to watch a well funded TV series I would do just that, go watch TV. I don't mind Vessel I think making money from early viewers is a great idea because ultimate my everyone still gets to watch the content. But this paywall makes me truly sad :'( . I know LMG needs to pay its employees, that is why Linus actually made me stop using adblock entirely on the internet. I thank you Linus for so many awesome videos :-) but I will stop  watching your videos, however much I want to watch them to not betray the principles I just explained here.

So you're going to stop watching good, free content because Linus Media Group (a company) decided to be a company and expand beyond their original business plan? That's sad to hear that you'd betray your own principles like that.

-KuJoe