, ASRock H110M-DVS/D3

First Skylake, Budget Build: Asrock is cray-cray.

ASRock DIMM NA Motherboards H110M-DVS/D3

• LGA 1151, Supports 6th Generation Intel Core i7/ i5/ i3/ Pentium/ Celeron Processors, Supports Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology
  • Chipset: Intel H110
  • Memory: 2x DDR3/DDR3L-1866(OC)/ 1600/ 1333/ 1066 DIMM Slots, Dual-Channel, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Max capacity of 32GB
  • Slots: 1x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slot, 2x PCI Express 2.0 x1 Slots
  • SATA: 4x SATA3 Ports, Support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug"

Skylake only supports DDR3L and DDR4, yet this motherboard is built for a Intel Skylake processor, and Amazon.com states it is compatible with everyday DDR3, PC Parts Picker doesn't seem to care either, so if i use DDR3 1.8v in this PC it will probably damage the processor, me thinks.

I think i need to buy some DDR3L, what do you guys think?

Incomplete build List: Cray-Cray PC Parts Picker 

Actually build list:

Asrock DIMM NA Motherboards H110M-DVS/D3

Intel Skylake G4400

GTX8800

Dell's 1000 watt power supply circa 2008

2.5 WD Scorpio Blue 160 GB

Alienware Aurora case circa 2008

Windows 8 - Dreamspark edition ;)

21 minutes ago, Maverickm249 said:

First Skylake, Budget Build: Asrock is cray-cray.

ASRock DIMM NA Motherboards H110M-DVS/D3

• LGA 1151, Supports 6th Generation Intel Core i7/ i5/ i3/ Pentium/ Celeron Processors, Supports Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology
  • Chipset: Intel H110
  • Memory: 2x DDR3/DDR3L-1866(OC)/ 1600/ 1333/ 1066 DIMM Slots, Dual-Channel, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, Max capacity of 32GB
  • Slots: 1x PCI-Express 3.0 x16 Slot, 2x PCI Express 2.0 x1 Slots
  • SATA: 4x SATA3 Ports, Support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug"

Skylake only supports DDR3L and DDR4, yet this motherboard is built for a Intel Skylake processor, and Amazon.com states it is compatible with everyday DDR3, PC Parts Picker doesn't seem to care either, so if i use DDR3 1.8v in this PC it will probably damage the processor, me thinks.

I think i need to buy some DDR3L, what do you guys think?

Incomplete build List: Cray-Cray PC Parts Picker 

Actually build list:

Asrock DIMM NA Motherboards H110M-DVS/D3

Intel Skylake G4400

GTX8800

Dell's 1000 watt power supply circa 2008

2.5 WD Scorpio Blue 160 GB

Alienware Aurora case circa 2008

Windows 8 - Dreamspark edition ;)

If you are buying Skylake and using DDR3 (whether it's regular or the L version), you are doing something wrong. One of the main points IS ddr4, so why deliberately avoid that?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

On 4/20/2016 at 8:28 PM, Imakuni said:

If you are buying Skylake and using DDR3 (whether it's regular or the L version), you are doing something wrong. One of the main points IS ddr4, so why deliberately avoid that?

Amusement. :)

I put all the parts together, the system works, even with DDR3 @ 1.5 volts, am i going to leave at that? hell no, i'm going to buy some DDR3L tomorrow, and i may buy a new motherboard that supports DDR4 in the future, maybe. 

i also made an adjustment in the bios to set the DRAM voltage to 1.35 volts, that's probably not enough to keep the CPU safe, but hey i'm just testing this out, until i can get some DDR3L. 

A quick look at the temps show that the CPU Temp is 42 degrees Celsius, and the Voltage is high of course, i think it was 1.025v, i'm not going to check again, i'l wait until tomorrow when i have the proper ram

Update* 

Copied from CPUZ:
    Memory type        DDR3
    Module format        UDIMM
    Manufacturer (ID)    Patriot Memory 
    Size            4096 MBytes
    Max bandwidth        PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
    Part number        PSD34G133381
    Nominal Voltage        1.50 Volts

CPU voltage according to the UEFI/BIOS is 1.024 volts, CPUZ hasn't indicated that the voltage has exceeded this, i talk to intel and they are aware that ODMs are making these kinds of motherboards, and they said they will still honor their 3 year warranty should the CPU die.

They also pointed to the voltage specifications, which are the following

The operating voltage for the CPU: 0.55 volts min, - 1.52 volts max

at idle: 0 min -  0.55 volts max

So what i'm going to do is update this thread once and a while to see what happens when you use a standard DDR3 stick set to 1.35 volts via the UEFI with a 6th generation Intel processor. 

I'm thinking it will live a long life, believe it or not. 

• 4 weeks later...

Still going strong after one month of occasional use.