Microphone for Audio Technica AD700X headphones

OlekKing

I'm thinking about getting these headphones along with a sound card from Asus, i wanted to know if you have any suggestions for some high quality attachable microphones so i can use these as a headset.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

Don't need a sound card for those headphones, save your money.

As for a mic, look for a zalman clip on mic, blue snowflake or any desktop microphone.

Don't need a sound card for those headphones, save your money.

As for a mic, look for a zalman clip on mic, blue snowflake or any desktop microphone.

I do for what i'm looking for specifically, i plan on using them for gaming, mainly for first person shooters, i know a couple of guys who recommend these headphones, even more with a good sound card that can provide virtual surround sound, the combo is being deemed one the best positional audio setups possible.

I was thinking about the Asus Phoebus.

I'm really interested about the ModMic but from what i can see, they go out of stock all the time and it's going to take a couple of months for the 4.0 version.

Also please take into consideration that i reside in Europe, more specifically Switzerland. I'm really interested in these headphones but i don't really know where i could purchase them from, in their European store the headphones cost about 220€ which is about 300$, that is a lot, that's really a lot. 

In amazon.com it's like 160$ but with all the shipping and additional taxing it would end up costing the same...

I don't know if you guys have any idea where i could get it cheaper in Europe.

People are also saying that the ModMics are a pain in the ass to ship here.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I do for what i'm looking for specifically, i plan on using them for gaming, mainly for first person shooters, i know a couple of guys who recommend these headphones, even more with a good sound card that can provide virtual surround sound, the combo is being deemed one the best positional audio setups possible.

I'm really interested about the ModMic but from what i can see, they go out of stock all the time and it's going to take a couple of months for the 4.0 version.

Also please take into consideration that i reside in Europe, more specifically Switzerland. I'm really interested in these headphones but i don't really know where i could purchase them from, in their European store the headphones cost about 220€ which is about 300$, that is a lot, that's really a lot. 

In amazon.com it's like 160$ but with all the shipping and additional taxing it would end up costing the same...

You will not notice any difference between virtual surround on and off. You have open headphones, which will naturally do "surround sound". Added software makes it sound bad and is more buggy software on your computer that you don't need. You can read more about this on the FAQ.

If you have a decent onboard solution, you don't need a sound card. Especially one that is as expensive as that, and if you really want to try surround sound, razer has something that is free you can download.

About the mic, like I said, buy a zalman clip on mic, or a desktop microphone. Any name brand will sound good.

You can buy them directly from Japan if you are interested specifically in the audio technica series, but if you buy any good open headphone (sennheiser 558's/598's) DT990's ect ect, it will product the same result.

>asks forum for advice
>forum gives advice
>argues with advice

> :rolleyes: 

On another note, Amazon ships certain items for free internationally if the order is above $125 USD, just search here. Unfortunately I only see the original ATH-700 available for international shipping. 

If you find a different pair of headphones with a detachable 3.5mm cable, you could use this mic: http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

You will not notice any difference between virtual surround on and off. You have open headphones, which will naturally do "surround sound". Added software makes it sound bad and is more buggy software on your computer that you don't need. You can read more about this on the FAQ.

If you have a decent onboard solution, you don't need a sound card. Especially one that is as expensive as that, and if you really want to try surround sound, razer has something that is free you can download.

About the mic, like I said, buy a zalman clip on mic, or a desktop microphone. Any name brand will sound good.

You can buy them directly from Japan if you are interested specifically in the audio technica series, but if you buy any good open headphone (sennheiser 558's/598's) DT990's ect ect, it will product the same result.

Well maybe i'm just an idiot but i'm really into first person shooters and i want the best possible directional sound, and virtual surround sound can really help with that especially on some quality headphones.

I have some G930s right now and my main complaint is the shitty mic and they get uncomfortable quickly. I decided i ain't buying a "gaming headset" again, just no. The virtual 7.1 on it is pretty nice and makes a difference.

I trust these guys, especially this one who was a competitive BF player so sound is really important for him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJUQTNWQVg as well as him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEGe08Ytaik

Apart from their advice i really like the look of the AD700x, looks really lightweight and perfect for long sessions, it just looks perfect to me.

Well maybe i'm just an idiot but i'm really into first person shooters and i want the best possible directional sound, and virtual surround sound can really help with that especially on some quality headphones.

I have some G930s right now and my main complaint is the shitty mic and they get uncomfortable quickly. I decided i ain't buying a "gaming headset" again, just no. The virtual 7.1 on it is pretty nice and makes a difference.

I trust these guys, especially this one who was a competitive BF player so sound is really important for him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJUQTNWQVg as well as him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEGe08Ytaik

Apart from their advice i really like the look of the AD700x, looks really lightweight and perfect for long sessions, it just looks perfect to me.

You are not an idiot, you just aren't listening to us.

They are a good headphone for your situation, I'm just trying to tell you that you don't need any virtual/software x.1 solutions with an open pair of headphones.

Like @ShearMe said, if you pick up the AD700x and a desktop mic international shipping is free from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379808534&sr=8-1&keywords=ad700x

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowflake-USB-Microphone/dp/B0012AUHXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379808540&sr=8-1&keywords=snowflake+mic

You don't need anything else.

Virtual Surround sound is meant to make bad headphones sound better - it usually degrades the experience for good open headphones.

+1 for Zalman Clip-On, but keep an eye out for the next round of ModMics.

>asks forum for advice

>forum gives advice

>argues with advice

> :rolleyes: 

On another note, Amazon ships certain items for free internationally if the order is above $125 USD, just search here. Unfortunately I only see the original ATH-700 available for international shipping. 

If you find a different pair of headphones with a detachable 3.5mm cable, you could use this mic: http://v-moda.com/boompro-microphone/

Virtual Surround sound is meant to make bad headphones sound better - it usually degrades the experience for good open headphones.

I'm moist.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

You are not an idiot, you just aren't listening to us.

They are a good headphone for your situation, I'm just trying to tell you that you don't need any virtual/software x.1 solutions with an open pair of headphones.

Like @ShearMe said, if you pick up the AD700x and a desktop mic international shipping is free from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-AD700X-Audiophile-Open-Air-Headphones/dp/B009S332TQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379808534&sr=8-1&keywords=ad700x

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowflake-USB-Microphone/dp/B0012AUHXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379808540&sr=8-1&keywords=snowflake+mic

You don't need anything else.

Does that microphone pick up key strokes or mouse clicking?

It depends on where you place it. Any desktop microphone is going to pick something up because well...it's on your desk lol. You can probably turn it down with software or use PTT.

It won't pick up mouse clicking but if you have a mechanical keyboard it might.

It depends on where you place it. Any desktop microphone is going to pick something up because well...it's on your desk lol. You can probably turn it down with software or use PTT.

It won't pick up mouse clicking but if you have a mechanical keyboard it might.

Won't a quality sound card improve the audio anyways?

Won't a quality sound card improve the audio anyways?

No, the sound card doesn't do anything with a microphone, and besides the mic is USB powered.

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on a sound card.

No, the sound card doesn't do anything with a microphone, and besides the mic is USB powered.

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on a sound card.

I was talking about the headphone audio quality.

I was talking about the headphone audio quality.

Oh, lol no. They are low impedance, putting a sound card in would make them sound worse. If you want to improve sound quality buy something from fiio or buy an o2 amp.

read the FAQ at the top of the audio forum to learn more.

Oh, lol no. They are low impedance, putting a sound card in would make them sound worse. If you want to improve sound quality buy something from fiio or buy an o2 amp.

read the FAQ at the top of the audio forum to learn more.

Alright, thanks, i'm just starting to get more into audio, i think it's time to get a proper setup.

Alright, thanks, i'm just starting to get more into audio, i think it's time to get a proper setup.

I must warn you, it's a long dark hallway of no return. Be ready to own multiple headphones.

Don't scare him ><

He should be, I remember how cheap a couple of apple ear buds could be. Upgrading sound is fine, but once you buy something better than you've experienced previously, going back is horrible.

| Operating Systems: Arch Linux  /  Debian Linux  /  Windows 7 | Audio: Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2D + AKG Q701 |

| Display: Samsung Syncmaster P2450H | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Black | Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL Brown | Mic: Samson C03U |

| Case: Corsair 600T | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K | GPU: AMD HD7950 | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair TX850M |

I wouldn't get the Phoebus, a lot of people have had issues with microphones with it, as in: if you're in a skype call with some friends, and then start up a game, your friends in the skype call will hear strange noises that sound brighter if you have more fps. I'd get the Xonar D2X or Essence STX instead.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

$130-150

Do you know where i could get them shipped to the UK? I would save alot of money on them.

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.