Gigabit Problems

pspfreak

I don't have a gigabit switch so I have my server hooked up to my main pc with an ethernet cable. In windows 7, I got full 1gbps between the pc's. I just upgraded to windows 8 and now I can't get more than 100mbps. I have tryed switching "Speed and Duplex" to 1.0GBPS full duplex.

I have restarted and reset the ethernet controllers. Both of them are the integrated realtek pci-e nic stuff. I know I should get a switch but for now this has been working. 

Never mind... for some reason the ethernet cable I've been using for months was the problem. Swapped out for a different cable and it works fine. strange?

Never mind... for some reason the ethernet cable I've been using for months was the problem. Swapped out for a different cable and it works fine. strange?

Could have been a possible kink(maybe stepped on?), or normal wear and tear, cables can degrade over time, but I don't know the condition the cable was in to guess what really happened.

Only cat5/cat5e or better cables will run at gigabit since it needs more pairs, if any are damaged or introducing interference it will revert back to 100.

Makeshift cables will only pull 100.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Well like I said that cable had ran at gigabit speeds before. Funny, its actually the cable that came with the xbox 360 elite some time ago.

i had this problem too, just replace the cable and it should be fine.

You might even get away with just replacing the RJ45 connector ;)

Specs: Intel Core i5 3570k, 8gb Corsair Vengance memory, ASRock z77 extreme 4, Novatech Powerstation Black Edition 750W, MSI GTX 670 Power Edition, Zalman z11plus Case, Samsung 840 SSD, 6TB NAS, Corsair H80 CPU cooler

http://gangevo.com/