Utterly Cheap Mouse: Genius NetScroll 120 Review

sondern

Review: Genius NetScroll 120

Hello everyone. I have this, really cheap, widely used (in my country) mouse. I thought, after using it for about 3 months, "Hey, let's do a review on this." So, this is it.

Bought this mouse back in December 2015, but only started using it at around January this year. My father used it for a while before switching to another mouse.

Before proceeding, I just want to let you know that most internet cafes around here use this mouse, because, well, it's extremely cheap. Oh, and, did I mention that it's cheap?

SPECIFICATIONS

• Supports Windows 98SE onwards
  • Utilizes 1(one) USB 1.0 or PS/2 port
  • Optical sensor, 800 CPI resolution
  • Ambidextrous

(All quoted from the official website with translations)

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Box? What box? Packaging wise, I didn't like it. At all. The cardboard box the mouse comes in is bad. So, I just ripped the box apart and poof, it went flying to the trashcan. The mouse itself feels as cheap as it actually is. It's pretty light, and looks office-y (Is that even a word? I don't care). Cable is pretty long, and--even at first glance--looks like it's going to to rip apart any time now.

THE MOUSE

Let's talk mouse. As I mentioned before, it's pretty light (Unfortunately I didn't have a scale ready at my disposal at the time). The mouse is made entirely out of plastic, that feels like it has an actual thickness in it, but at the same time, prone to breaking. The left and right clicks are light enough for me to quickly double click, but not light enough I would accidentally press it all the time. The scroll wheel is made of plastic and is rubber coated. It isn't slippery (MY GOSH) and the steps are surprisingly defined. Also, there's so little function embedded in. It only has left click, right click, scroll, and middle click. That's it. Nothing more. But, I guess, given the price (US$2!) it's fair enough. Mouse feet? Plastic. Slippery, slippery, plastic. More information for you readers, I broke the scroll wheel by dropping it from 1 meter high accidentally.
How about the cable? Just your average thin cable that slacks (and tangles) around a lot. To sum that up, the mouse is okay. Not horrible, but okay.

THE PERFORMANCE

The website claims an 800 CPI optical sensor. I can't verify the resolution, so I'd leave it like that. The acceleration is pretty massive, I'll tell you. The lift-off distance is pretty low, at around 2 millimeters high. The sensor actually feels pretty acurate to where I moved my mouse to. The cursor corresponds nicely with the mouse. Keep in mind that I use this mouse on a wood and/or ceramic surface. It's not bad during gaming, primarily Battlefield 4, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but it feels like it can be more precise and slightly more (accurate?). Overall, I actually enjoy gaming on this mouse, except for the part where it's kind of slippery because of the really minimum rubber usage. FYI, I grip my mice with a claw grip.

It's also pretty comfortable for extended usages, just watch out for your sweats as they may drip in the gaps between the buttons, the scroll wheel, and the mouse body.

CONCLUSION

Oh, you're still here? Great! Tell you what, this mouse is okay. For it's price tag of US$2, falling into entry level office segment, it's actually not as bad as I thought it'd be. Decent. Good enough.

Well, I guess that wraps up my very first review, and also marking my first post on the LinusTechTips forum. Thank you all for reading my small review. Goodbye and I'll hopefully see you again (Well, I can't actually SEE you, but eh) on my next review. Cheers!

P.S. Here's some pics. Taken with a Nexus 5, with horrible lighting.

back_logo.jpg

front.jpg

front_quarter.jpg

glamour_shot.jpg

sensor.jpg

side.jpg

1 minute ago, Zweinbein said:

Nice

Thanks!

Nice review :)

I mean you cant really complain for its price :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Nice review :)

I mean you cant really complain for its price :P

Yeah. Was surprised about its actual performance.

Edited by Daffa Romero
Didn't sound quite right.

Nice review haha, I think you need new mouse, Mionix is good for you. Just Buy It

. xD

9 minutes ago, Obi1 said:

Nice review haha, I think you need new mouse, Mionix is good for you. Just Buy It

. xD

Right on. Currently saving up for an Avior 7000.