960 vs 970 in 1080p?

Acrobit
Go to solution Solved by givegomezthegun,

Idiotic amd vs nvidia debating aside.. 

I have used both the 970 and 960, in a lot of situations a 960 is sufficient, but I also ran into quite a few scenarios where the 970 could not max out(by max out I mean set every single available option to the highest possible setting, not some watered down version that other folks must be talking about when they say maxes out every game out there) and achieve solid playable frame rates.

Of the 2, if you're looking for something to last a while, the 970 is obviously the better choice

Hayo!

I don't know what to chose Gtx 970 or 960. And yes I know the 970 is better and more furture proofing... but it's overkill for 1080p

The games i normaly play are: Battlefield 4 (sometimes BF3 to), World of Tanks/Warships, CS:GO(but I'm getting bored with that), Rust, GTA5 but those are the games i play atm.

And what I'm planning to do: Division, The whole dark souls siries(BloodBorn to), Arma 3, Cryses 3.

I'm just looking for an graphics card that will last a minimum of 5 years and still play at 40 - 50 fps. just like the gtx 680.

This was my post, Thank you for reading/giving feedback and have an nice day everyone!

Well, the 960 is basically the same performance compared to the GTX 680. It's not even an upgrade.

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Eh, depends on the settings. But yeah, 390. Go 380 if you can't afford the 390.

380x 10/10 would use again.

Its automatic, just press this button!

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

R9 390

I to know that the 390 is  better with fps and having an lower price..

But the fact that it has poor driver support lets me choose team green...

if you search the AMD cards you will see that alot of those (of the poor driver support) have lots and lots more FPS drops than team greens one's.

1 minute ago, Acrobit said:

Alsi if you search the AMD cards you will see that alot of those (of the poor driver support) have lots and lots more FPS drops than team greens one's.

AMD and Nvidia both have shitty driver support.

They both have problems

Trying not to be biased here, coming from prescriptive of pure performance and actual experience with both cards,

Why are you asking us if you already have the answer and think a 970 is overkill for 1080p?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, Acrobit said:

if you search the AMD cards you will see that alot of those (of the poor driver support) have lots and lots more FPS drops than team greens one's.

Yeah, btw I will chose one in August... so i have the time to wait... also plannig if going for Nvidia to wait for pascal so all the prices drop :P

11 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Which server are you native to in WoT? Its also my daily driver.

Europe

1 minute ago, Acrobit said:

Yeah, btw I will chose one in August... so i have the time to wait... also plannig if going for Nvidia to wait for pascal so all the prices drop :P

*Cough*Or Polaris *Cough*

Yea definetly wait then

I have used both the 970 and 960, in a lot of situations a 960 is sufficient, but I also ran into quite a few scenarios where the 970 could not max out(by max out I mean set every single available option to the highest possible setting, not some watered down version that other folks must be talking about when they say maxes out every game out there) and achieve solid playable frame rates.

Of the 2, if you're looking for something to last a while, the 970 is obviously the better choice

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

3 minutes ago, givegomezthegun said:

I totaly agree... but I'm that kind of person who likes everything until it's getting hazy... but even on low.. if everything stays clear sharp I can deal with it, it doesn't have to be all about maxing out for me

7 minutes ago, Acrobit said:

I don't know what to chose Gtx 970 or 960. And yes I know the 970 is better and more furture proofing... but it's overkill for 1080p

The games i normaly play are: Battlefield 4 (sometimes BF3 to), World of Tanks/Warships, CS:GO(but I'm getting bored with that), Rust, GTA5 but those are the games i play atm.

And what I'm planning to do: Division, The whole dark souls siries(BloodBorn to), Arma 3, Cryses 3.

I'm just looking for an graphics card that will last a minimum of 5 years and still play at 40 - 50 fps. just like the gtx 680.

Hey, so just to let you know I've had to make the same decision about 3 months ago. Back then I considered the GTX 960 to be good enough of an upgrade (upgrading from my trusty old Radeon HD 7970), because I didn't plan to go anywhere beyond 1080p with my resolution and the budget I had left was limited. The GTX 960 packs a healthy amout of power and is gonna last me some time, but if I had to make the same decision again today I would go with the GTX 970, just because it's a touch more powerful in 1080p.

So here's my advice:

-If you can easily afford it, go for a GTX 970. Even if it is way more expensive (about 150$ more) it is still worth the extra FPS (since you wan't your card to be future-proof).

-If you can't afford a GTX 970 don't buy a new card at all. Your GTX 680 (which still is a beast) is still going to last you for some time in 1080p gaming. Don't get me wrong, the GTX 960 is a really good card for 1080p and I really like mine, but you wouldn't get massively better FPS since the 960 and 680 performe about the same.

-Consider buying a GTX 980. It's just way better and will last you longer, but of course you need to able to afford one first...

-Don't consider buying any AMD graphics card. Their support with drivers just sucks. Their release-schedule is always late, they are broken, updates break more than they fix most of the time, multi-gpu and/or multi-monitor setups sometimes outright refuse to work, etc. Trust me, I know what I'm saying since I owned a HD 7970.

29 minutes ago, Acrobit said:

This was my post, Thank you for reading/giving feedback and have an nice day everyone!

Thanks, I wish you the same!

2 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

Hey, so just to let you know I've had to make the same decision about 3 months ago. Back then I considered the GTX 960 to be good enough of an upgrade (upgrading from my trusty old Radeon HD 7970), because I didn't plan to go anywhere beyond 1080p with my resolution and the budget I had left was limited. The GTX 960 packs a healthy amout of power and is gonna last me some time, but if I had to make the same decision again today I would go with the GTX 970, just because it's a touch more powerful in 1080p.

So here's my advice:

-If you can easily afford it, go for a GTX 970. Even if it is way more expensive (about 150$ more) it is still worth the extra FPS (since you wan't your card to be future-proof).

-If you can't afford a GTX 970 don't buy a new card at all. Your GTX 680 (which still is a beast) is still going to last you for some time in 1080p gaming. Don't get me wrong, the GTX 960 is a really good card for 1080p and I really like mine, but you wouldn't get massively better FPS since the 960 and 680 performe about the same.

-Consider buying a GTX 980. It's just way better and will last you longer, but of course you need to able to afford one first...

-Don't consider buying any AMD graphics card. Their support with drivers just sucks. Their release-schedule is always late, they are broken, updates break more than they fix most of the time, multi-gpu and/or multi-monitor setups sometimes outright refuse to work, etc. Trust me, I know what I'm saying since I owned a HD 7970.

Thanks, I wish you the same!

And I've got one myself, and can say I've had no issues. I refer back to my previous link:

8 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

And I've got one myself, and can say I've had no issues. I refer back to my previous link:

Yes and I've had no issues at all with my Nvidia GPU either.I don't think you're making a point here. Also I'm just supplying advice based on my knowledge and experience of using an AMD card (Radeon HD 7970) for almost four years. Based on said experience I consider it fair for me to conclude that the quality of the drivers of AMD cards have degraded over the years. Also I'm certainly not the only one who noticed said tendencies (referring to just about every consumer electronic journal out there).

1 minute ago, black0utm1rage said:

Yes and I've had no issues at all with my Nvidia GPU either.I don't think you're making a point here. Also I'm just supplying advice based on my knowledge and experience of using an AMD card (Radeon HD 7970) for almost four years. Based on said experience I consider it fair for me to conclude that the quality of the drivers of AMD cards have degraded over the years. Also I'm certainly not the only one who noticed said tendencies (referring to just about every consumer electronic journal out there).

My point is that saying there support and drivers suck is a moot point, seeing as Nvidia is hardly doing much better right now. Because you've had bad experiences, doesn't mean everyone has.

3 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

My point is that saying there support and drivers suck is a moot point, seeing as Nvidia is hardly doing much better right now. Because you've had bad experiences, doesn't mean everyone has.

I refuse to puts points across (there are many supporting AMD over Nvidia, but both have their downsides), I'm tired of arguing with fanboys (not talking to you :P)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

I refuse to puts points across (there are many supporting AMD over Nvidia, but both have their downsides), I'm tired of arguing with fanboys (not talking to you :P)

I was about to say, I was going to feel offended.

whow whow whow... I'm just asking witch wil still be alright for 5 years... please no War between red/green some prefer these and some those... If somebody likes something you can't change his oppinion.. btw it has been solved so pls move on to the next post, Y'all already have helped me out now the next person needs you're guys help... I have 0 expirience and I'm about to build my first desktop PC.

and yes i have a prebuild pc now...

Bye

whow whow whow... I'm just asking witch wil still be alright for 5 years... please no War between red/green some prefer these and some those... If somebody likes something you can't change his oppinion.. btw it has been solved so pls move on to the next post, Y'all already have helped me out now the next person needs you're guys help... I have 0 expirience and I'm about to build my first desktop PC.

and yes i have a prebuild pc now...

Bye

If you have the money, an R9 390 should last a good long time as the large amount of VRAM and good DX12 capabilities help with the lifespan. Also, building a PC isn't hard at all :P if you need any help, just ask. Also, have you got all the parts bought?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats