Bad SAS Backplane?

Alright, so I recently acquired a 2008 Cisco server from a pawn shop($215). If I remove the power to the SAS/SATA back plane, it boots just fine. A little loud, which will be dealt with, but it works just fine. 

However, if the back plane is attached, the front panel throws a failure warning led and emits this horrible beeping noise that is somehow louder than the PSU fans.

Observations:

Boots fine with and without.

The second row of hard drives show an orange LED, and will do the same no matter which hard drives are installed.

There is a very loud beeping, before post of about 3-4 beeps per second. Once the computer posts, it slows to about half that.

Removing all the hard drives does not change anything.

Specs (pertinent):

Chenbro RM31212 Chassis

AMCC 9550SX-12mi-i

Unknown back plane, but can find out if necessary.

Any help diagnosing the problem would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

probably fine, not sure tho might not be

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 hours ago, FAQBytes said:

snip

Hmm, maybe the hard drives are dead? What are you using to connect to the backplane? Raid Card? HBA? It sounds like you're angering some kind of RAID setup...

10 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, maybe the hard drives are dead? What are you using to connect to the backplane? Raid Card? HBA? It sounds like you're angering some kind of RAID setup...

I will be doing more diagnostics today, didn't have enough time to do complete tests. I assume there is an issue with the array, but all the hard drives seem to work fine. It boots into Suse Linux just fine. I don't have the password, so I loaded my Ubuntu stick and it showed everything was Okay. (12 x 500GB Raid 5 with 1 hot spare showed a 5 TB volume.) I made a server 2008 R2 USB installer yesterday and I will install today and report back.

The card is a raid card. Model is specified in OP.

Thanks.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

53 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

I will be doing more diagnostics today, didn't have enough time to do complete tests. I assume there is an issue with the array, but all the hard drives seem to work fine. It boots into Suse Linux just fine. I don't have the password, so I loaded my Ubuntu stick and it showed everything was Okay. (12 x 500GB Raid 5 with 1 hot spare showed a 5 TB volume.) I made a server 2008 R2 USB installer yesterday and I will install today and report back.

The card is a raid card. Model is specified in OP.

Thanks.

Oh, I didn't register that model as a 3Ware RAID card, sorry. Geez, that model is really old. PCI-X...I kind of wonder how old the hard drives are now...

I can see why the system was cheap for you.

33 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Oh, I didn't register that model as a 3Ware RAID card, sorry. Geez, that model is really old. PCI-X...I kind of wonder how old the hard drives are now...

The board is a 2004 SuperMicro board, but everything else was made in 2008. The system was hardly used. I think there was less than 150 hours logged. It was rediculously clean when I took it apart.

5 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Whelp, went into the 3ware BIOS, and saw that there was a small issue that needed resolved. It was so small that I can't even remember what was wrong. Everything is working dandy now. Question now is to choose between raid 0, 5, 10, and 50.

5 hours ago, FAQBytes said:

The board is a 2004 SuperMicro board, but everything else was made in 2008. The system was hardly used. I think there was less than 150 hours logged. It was rediculously clean when I took it apart.

Great to hear. Yeah, the RAID level choice is a very personal thing. Wow, that RAID card doesn't support RAID6 though?

1 minute ago, scottyseng said:

Great to hear. Yeah, the RAID level choice is a very personal thing. Wow, that RAID card doesn't support RAID6 though?

While it doesn't support raid 6, it does support RAID 5 and supports hot spare functionality, so it basically will do the same thing. It's preferred to me when doing multiple Raid 5 setups (See 50/51, etc) as the hot spare can take the place of any failed drive. I know some people don't like hot-spare tech, but it'll be fine for what I'd use it for.