Pc keeps shutting down, the boot looping randomly.

ZaneiusValentine

So about a week ago this started, randomly the windows 10 shutting down will pop up and then it will just start turning on for a few seconds and back off before the monitor even detects the gpu, I RMAed the psu and just got it back two days back, and it was working beautifully until this started up again. I am really confused about the whole thing.

Make sure motherboard connections are firm

CPU: me | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Asus Z170-A | 32GB Dominator Plats | 512gb SSD/4TB WD Black | 980Ti | BQ Silent Base 800 | EVGA 850w |

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101
BEST PC FOR THE PRICE:

$400 $500 $600 $700 $800 $900 $1000

If you want to Silence your PC/Room more, contact me.

whats your full system spec? list them with pcpartpicker.com if possible

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, ZaneiusValentine said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Jzj8hM I also have an h80i for the cpu.

does your computer post? can you elaborate the things your computer is doing after you push the power button?

Just now, Moonzy said:

does your computer post? can you elaborate the things your computer is doing after you push the power button?

Basically it starts up for a few seconds after the initial shut down then just turns off and keeps trying to turn on until I shut the psu itself off.

1 minute ago, ZaneiusValentine said:

Basically it starts up for a few seconds after the initial shut down then just turns off and keeps trying to turn on until I shut the psu itself off.

does it display the post logo? any video signal out?

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

does it display the post logo? any video signal out?

Not once it gets into that tryinf to boot mode, monitor stays black at that point

1 minute ago, ZaneiusValentine said:

Not once it gets into that tryinf to boot mode, monitor stays black at that point

try booting only with cpu, motherboard, and ram plugged in, with the psu of course

remove the gpu (remember to unlock the pcie before you do, dont rip out the entire thing) and hard disks and case connections like front panel io

and remove anything connected at the rear io, and connect the screen to the motherboard

It starts up but I dont get any video input. Thing is normally I can fet the first boot up fine and itll stay on for anywhere from 10minutes to idk maybe an hour or two.

7 minutes ago, ZaneiusValentine said:

Your motherboard is failing its power-on self test (POST). That means that it's checking for all the connections to work and when one doesn't, it powers off, then tries again. This can be caused by multiple issues but if you have the time, you'll certainly find what it was.

The first thing to try is to clear the CMOS on your motherboard. Take the circle-shaped battery found somewhere around the CPU socket and remove it. Keep it off for a minute before putting it back in. With some luck that'll solve the issue. You can also clear CMOS using a jumper on the motherboard, although you'll have to refer to your manual to locate it. Keep in mind this may undo your overclock settings but you should troubleshoot this at stock speeds anyway.

If that's not enough, I recommend taking your motherboard out of the case and trying to turn it on with as little connected to it as possible. Place your motherboard into a non-conductive sourface and connect only the 24-pin ATX connector, the 8 pin CPU connector and a single stick of ram. Plug your monitor into your motherboard's video output. By the looks of it yours has 2 HDMIs and one Displayport. Try to turn it on. You'll know the computer completed its self test when your display shows the logo of the manufacturer.

Hopefully that will have worked. If it did, plug things back one-by-one starting with the other RAM sticks, followed by graphics, then storage. Make sure you test every time you plug something in, this will let you know what component is causing the problem, if any.

If you didn't complete the self test on the minimum configuration, the culprit might be a RAM stick or the slot it's placed in. Try each stick on each slot to see if you power on like that. If that also doesn't work it's probably the motherboard (assuming you placed it on a non-conductive surface, the box it came in is optimal) that's at fault, and you can RMA that. If one of the sticks doesn't work on any slot however, that one's the problem.

Now if you did pass the test once every device is connected, place everything back onto the case and try one last self test.

In this last step, you might get the error again. This is likely due to a piece of metal such as a motherboard standoff that's in the wrong place, shorting the circuits in your motherboard. Look for this metal and remove it, then test again with the motherboard screwed in.

If it shows you the post screen, congrats! Usually by disassembling and reassembling you've fixed a certain contact point that wasn't quite working, and was causing such a problem.

Sorry for the wall of text, I've been wanting to write a little POST fixing guide for a while and I hope you resolve your issue. Cheers!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

25 minutes ago, ZaneiusValentine said:

It starts up but I dont get any video input. Thing is normally I can fet the first boot up fine and itll stay on for anywhere from 10minutes to idk maybe an hour or two.

Remove the CMOS battery for 2 minutes and then put it back. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Your motherboard is failing its power-on self test (POST). That means that it's checking for all the connections to work and when one doesn't, it powers off, then tries again. This can be caused by multiple issues but if you have the time, you'll certainly find what it was.

The first thing to try is to clear the CMOS on your motherboard. Take the circle-shaped battery found somewhere around the CPU socket and remove it. Keep it off for a minute before putting it back in. With some luck that'll solve the issue. You can also clear CMOS using a jumper on the motherboard, although you'll have to refer to your manual to locate it. Keep in mind this may undo your overclock settings but you should troubleshoot this at stock speeds anyway.

If that's not enough, I recommend taking your motherboard out of the case and trying to turn it on with as little connected to it as possible. Place your motherboard into a non-conductive sourface and connect only the 24-pin ATX connector, the 8 pin CPU connector and a single stick of ram. Plug your monitor into your motherboard's video output. By the looks of it yours has 2 HDMIs and one Displayport. Try to turn it on. You'll know the computer completed its self test when your display shows the logo of the manufacturer.

Hopefully that will have worked. If it did, plug things back one-by-one starting with the other RAM sticks, followed by graphics, then storage. Make sure you test every time you plug something in, this will let you know what component is causing the problem, if any.

If you didn't complete the self test on the minimum configuration, the culprit might be a RAM stick or the slot it's placed in. Try each stick on each slot to see if you power on like that. If that also doesn't work it's probably the motherboard (assuming you placed it on a non-conductive surface, the box it came in is optimal) that's at fault, and you can RMA that. If one of the sticks doesn't work on any slot however, that one's the problem.

Now if you did pass the test once every device is connected, place everything back onto the case and try one last self test.

In this last step, you might get the error again. This is likely due to a piece of metal such as a motherboard standoff that's in the wrong place, shorting the circuits in your motherboard. Look for this metal and remove it, then test again with the motherboard screwed in.

If it shows you the post screen, congrats! Usually by disassembling and reassembling you've fixed a certain contact point that wasn't quite working, and was causing such a problem.

Sorry for the wall of text, I've been wanting to write a little POST fixing guide for a while and I hope you resolve your issue. Cheers!

Thanks mate, I'll try that.

4 hours ago, Energycore said:

So if the screen stays blank once I plug the GPU in, but doesnt necessarily shut itself off, is that an error?

9 hours ago, ZaneiusValentine said:

So if the screen stays blank once I plug the GPU in, but doesnt necessarily shut itself off, is that an error?

Looks like a GPU error. Since it's not turning on/off your system was able to complete POST.

Last time I had a no video out problem on the GPU it was because I hadn't plugged in the PCI-E connectors into it. That might be your case, try it out.

Your motherboard has a little display with numbers. That number tells you something about whether the computer is working and you can learn what each one means in your manual. If the number means "the computer is OK" and the graphics has all connectors correctly plugged, you'll have to contact sapphire support and probably RMA it.

Update: the LEDs are right by your 24-pin connector.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

21 hours ago, Energycore said:

Is it okay if i put this in my signature? (i dont know when or how long it would be there but i would like to ask for your permission and of coarse credit would go to you).

Edited by Made In Canada
Words

The Canadian Version Of Everything

-Made In Canada

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2016 at 11:53 PM, ZaneiusValentine said:

Click the "Mark as Solved", if it has been solved. So that when people search for it, they will find the solution