Mac for video editing you know whats bull****

Lil Chillbil

So you had two MINIMUM 7.5 year old Macs and are wondering that your experience to a modern pc is better :D ?

Try editing something on a Penitum D from 2005 with Premiere ....

The footage that I was editing was from a camera from 1997, the Xl1 the G5 had quad cores 16 gigs of ram and a quadro and it wasn't exactly a lightweight for 480p video. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

The footage that I was editing was from a camera from 1997, the Xl1 the G5 had quad cores 16 gigs of ram and a quadro and it wasn't exactly a lightweight for 480p video. 

Still doesn't change the fact, that you worked on a pc whose development has been basically stopped 8 years ago and compared it to a modern pc ... 

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Still doesn't change the fact, that you worked on a pc whose development has been basically stopped 8 years ago and compared it to a modern pc ... 

Now your just nitpicking, the thing WAS fast in ITS RENDERING it had an ssd. I wasn't using it for gaming or anything other than fcp 4 which was made for leopard. it was fast I just didn't like the layout of fcp 

#KilledMyWife 

Now your just nitpicking, the thing WAS fast in ITS RENDERING it had an ssd. I wasn't using it for gaming or anything other than fcp 4 which was made for leopard. it was fast I just didn't like the layout of fcp 

Nitpicking? You are comparing a 10 year old software on a 8 year old machine with a modern modern solution and calling macs crap. You claim that movie studies don't use macs, because they are according to you basically just crap.

Nitpicking? You are comparing a 10 year old software on a 8 year old machine with a modern modern solution and calling macs crap. You claim that movie studies don't use macs, because they are according to you basically just crap.

I see where you are coming from, but I must say that I have had experience with 8-core mac pros 32 gigs of ram on a project for a church 

still would choose my pc 

#KilledMyWife 

That is perfectly alright.

I'm not against anyone using macs, this whole thread was the so subjective way he worded his sentence. "If you walk into ANY studio they have a mac" when in my experience I have seen macs only in audio. But anything higher than 1080p and its a pc in there 

#KilledMyWife 

I'm not against anyone using macs, this whole thread was the so subjective way he worded his sentence. "If you walk into ANY studio they have a mac" when in my experience I have seen macs only in audio. But anything higher than 1080p and its a pc in there

Show me a large studio, that actually has a complete 4k workflow for their feature films. I think you have any idea about large scale movie productions after all.

Show me a large studio, that actually has a complete 4k workflow for their feature films. I think you have any idea about large scale movie productions after all.

Universal is the only one I can think of. No one really has a "4k" workflow but nearly everyone is shooting in 2.5k and up and then downscaling. 

#KilledMyWife 

Universal is the only one I can think of. No one really has a "4k" workflow but nearly everyone is shooting in 2.5k and up and then downscaling. 

Shooting has nothing to do with actual editing and post processing. Only because someone shoots in 4/5/8K doesn't mean it will be edited that way.  I'd most likely will not. Yes you will see up and downscaling in pp, you will see resolutions up to 16k or more especially in FX. Hell many motion picture cameras used in multi million dollar budget movies (talking >50 million $) still 'only' output 1080p. And no also Universal didn't have a complete workflow on movies, at least not last year.

And I still don't know why this shouldn't be possible with a Mac!?

Shooting has nothing to do with actual editing and post processing. Only because someone shoots in 4/5/8K doesn't mean it will be edited that way.  I'd most likely will not. Yes you will see up and downscaling in pp, you will see resolutions up to 16k or more especially in FX. Hell many motion picture cameras used in multi million dollar budget movies (talking >50 million $) still 'only' output 1080p. And no also Universal didn't have a complete workflow on movies, at least not last year.

And I still don't know why this shouldn't be possible with a Mac!?

This Arguement has gone on long enough. The mac is good the pc is good

my fight is NOT WITH YOU my fight is with people who say that MAC'S ARE BETTER FOR VIDEO EDITING and that you should only use a pc if you absolutely have to edit something AND IT WON'T TURN OUT AS GOOD AS A MAC

#KilledMyWife 

This Arguement has gone on long enough. The mac is good the pc is good

my fight is NOT WITH YOU my fight is with people who say that MAC'S ARE BETTER FOR VIDEO EDITING and that you should only use a pc if you absolutely have to edit something AND IT WON'T TURN OUT AS GOOD AS A MAC

To be honest. Macs win when it comes to editing and developing just due to the Software packages AND macs tend to be more stable when it comes down to letting a video render for 10 hours. This comes from working at a game studio when I was younger (older brother was the company CFO) and me as the PC guy came to understand this very well when it comes to dealing with a game that cost $40,000,000

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

To be honest. Macs win when it comes to editing and developing just due to the Software packages AND macs tend to be more stable when it comes down to letting a video render for 10 hours. This comes from working at a game studio when I was younger (older brother was the company CFO) and me as the PC guy came to understand this very well when it comes to dealing with a game that cost $40,000,000

yeah they are reliable, there I a reason I was able to even use a core 2 duo imac to render for 3 days straight. It died 4 minutes after it stopped the render but sure was reliable during said render :D 

#KilledMyWife 

So you trying to proof this people wrong by saying Macs are worse and can't do things, they clearly can? How about instead of getting on the same level as those guys and saying the other 'team' is sh*t you rather proof them wrong by sticking to facts.

So you trying to proof this people wrong by saying Macs are worse and can't do things, they clearly can? How about instead of getting on the same level as those guys and saying the other 'team' is sh*t you rather proof them wrong by sticking to facts.

Here are my statements since you are clearly taking me out of context

-the new mac pro has 0 expandability and is too expensive for only having single processor

-My issue is that he showed a macbook pro and stated it like it was what "all the pros" are using and he gave a wrong view on pc's and ignorant people will continue to buy macs because of listening to him. 

#KilledMyWife 

-the new mac pro has 0 expandability and is too expensive for only having single processor

-My issue is that he showed a macbook pro and stated it like it was what "all the pros" are using and he gave a wrong view on pc's and ignorant people will continue to buy macs because of listening to him. 

Most people that buy these don't need it to expand on. It's a tool for work. It is what all the "pros" use. Walk into a studio or office and you will see mac, mac, mac, mac, mac, mac. It makes me feel uncomfortable when I whip out my MSI laptop. There isn't anything wrong with Macs. I actually own a MacBook Pro that I use solely for web development

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

- The new Mac Pro has 6 Thunderbolt 2.0 Ports (20GBit/s) so how is this zero expandability?

- The new Mac Pro has 6 Thunderbolt 2.0 Ports (20GBit/s) so how is this zero expandability?

show me 

a graphics card for thunderbolt

a raid config for thunderbolt

a network card for thunderbolt

a usb card for thunderbolt

Then compare the prices to pci-e 

#KilledMyWife 

Most people that buy these don't need it to expand on. It's a tool for work. It is what all the "pros" use. Walk into a studio or office and you will see mac, mac, mac, mac, mac, mac. It makes me feel uncomfortable when I whip out my MSI laptop. There isn't anything wrong with Macs. I actually own a MacBook Pro that I use solely for web development

I like macs as well, their laptops are the best out there. But my issue is with people looking at me funny when i'm editing their childs birthday party on a pc with a book under one of the monitors cause the stand wiggles and they are like "where is your mac? how do you edit on that ?" 

#KilledMyWife 

show me 

a graphics card for thunderbolt

a raid config for thunderbolt

a network card for thunderbolt

a usb card for thunderbolt

Then compare the prices to pci-e 

No need for a gpu, as there are already two in there

No need for a network card as there are already two in there

no need for a usb card as there are already 4 full usb 3.0 connectors in there

no real need for a directly attached raid storage, and there are 'promise'ing solutions for that as well. In a professional environment, where this Mac Pros most likely will end up there most likely already is a sophisticated storage solution in place.

No need for a gpu, as there are already two in there

No need for a network card as there are already two in there

no need for a usb card as there are already 4 full usb 3.0 connectors in there

no real need for a directly attached raid storage, and there are 'promise'ing solutions for that as well. In a professional environment, where this Mac Pros most likely will end up there most likely already is a sophisticated storage solution in place.

Well what happens if cuda stops being the "go to" for gpu acceleration and you need it for 4k editing (which is what these things are marketed as) your stuck with the same gpu's 

pc has better and cheaper expandability and Adobe is the better choice for video editing 

#KilledMyWife 

Well what happens if cuda stops being the "go to" for gpu acceleration and you need it for 4k editing (which is what these things are marketed as) your stuck with the same gpu's 

pc has better and cheaper expandability and Adobe is the better choice for video editing 

The Mac Pro will have AMD cards so no CUDA. Apple is a massive pusher of OpenCL (it basically started as an Apple product) and certainely one of the reason why Adobe is pushing OpenCL support.

Also the Creative Cloud is available for OS X as well, so this isn't really an argument for Windows?

The Mac Pro has pretty much all the expandability it needs for its target audience. Again, in most businesses these days pc are leased or bought for 3 years and then replaced by a newer model. The target audience of the Mac Pro most certainely isn't the hobby movie maker.

The Mac Pro will have AMD cards so no CUDA. Apple is a massive pusher of OpenCL (it basically started as an Apple product) and certainely one of the reason why Adobe is pushing OpenCL support.

Also the Creative Cloud is available for OS X as well, so this isn't really an argument for Windows?

The Mac Pro has pretty much all the expandability it needs for its target audience. Again, in most businesses these days pc are leased or bought for 3 years and then replaced by a newer model. The target audience of the Mac Pro most certainely isn't the hobby movie maker.

There is not 1 mac today editing 4k 

#KilledMyWife