Mac for video editing you know whats bull****

Lil Chillbil

There are many many many people out there who are easily fooled by people like applesoldier and this guy. I understand that he is TRYING and I emphasis TRY to not be biased. In a nutshell he says that if you JUST want to CHECK EMAIL and surf the web then a pc is FINE. But if you REALLY want to be a pro at anything media you need YOU HAVE TO GET A MAC to excel at it. He also points out that in every recording studio and or video editing professional there is a mac behind the magic.He calls them the "sports cars of the computer world"

I'm going to pick on Shawna Howson for a bit here just as an expample, and Shawna if you someday google your name and this thread comes up I just wanna say I love you and I think your work is awesome i'm just using this as an example. Now she uses a core i3 imac to edit FS700 raw video, now just the mere fact that she paid $2500+ for that core i3 in like 2009ish makes me a bit ill. Not to mention the fact that the FS700 has a 4k sensor on it vs. Dual core 8 gigs of ram. Now i'm going to put some of her work she has done here with that imac that is really good some might even call it pro level. 

It's epic to say the least, but what this does is it tricks people into thinking "if I get a mac then that makes me pro" and that "all pros use a mac" Which is the exact oppisite. If you walk into universal studios or any big budget movie studio you won't see mac pros you will see tricked out xeon based quadro cuda accelerated pc workstations editing the 4k. Because mac's just can't handle it.

anyone care to weigh in on my rant? 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I love shawna too! :D But I think there are 2 types of people in this situation. Those who are practical and those who buy for the brand. People who say that macs are better for editing just use it to justify their views on brand value. Underneath that opinion, we all know they by Macs because they want a mac. It's that simple. 

I don't really wanna get into the whole Intel Vs AMD thing but...would you say that this guy would have the same opinion for CPUs?

http://youtu.be/gqR7Vvd2prU?t=1m49s

He edits on an 8350 because it's cheaper and you still get really good performance out of it. Intel is ever so slightly like the Mac equilivent in the CPU world in my opinion.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I love shawna too! :D But I think there are 2 types of people in this situation. Those who are practical and those who buy for the brand. People who say that macs are better for editing just use it to justify their views on brand value. Underneath that opinion, we all know they by Macs because they want a mac. It's that simple.

I used to be like that, I bought a mac just to have a mac. Now I keep a powermac under my desk for the rest of my life just to remind myself how far I have come 

#KilledMyWife 

He is very retarded... worst explanation ever of the MAC vs PC argument LOL 

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

There are (or at least were) two very good reasons to get a mac for video editing.

1) iMovie - a easy to use and still very cabaple program that came/comes with every Mac

2) Final Cut Pro - a very powerful tool used by a shit ton of professionals for reasons.

Both OS X exclusives

It's epic to say the least, but what this does is it tricks people into thinking "if I get a mac then that makes me pro" and that "all pros use a mac" Which is the exact oppisite. If you walk into universal studios or any big budget movie studio you won't see mac pros you will see tricked out xeon based quadro cuda accelerated pc workstations editing the 4k. Because mac's just can't handle it.

That is just bullshit and guess what, many of the blockbusters aren't even edited in 4K but rather 2k. They are shot in 4k and as soon as the movie data leaves the recording media they are downsampled. 

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

The argument he gave was pretty uneducated apple are very good at finding ways to get people to buy their products and one of these ways was putting big faces in the media world infront of macs for free its marketing and they're extremely good at it I would think someone like elric would make a more educated video, kind of always been on the fence about whether or not I like him or not anyway.

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

When i get asked the question should I by a PC or a MAC...

I just say:-

"Are you a wolf or a sheep"

Lian Li PC-V359WRX Micro-ATX Case | Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X99M KILLER | Crucial 32 GB 2666 DDR4 | Thermaltake NiC C5 | EVGA Supernova 1200W P2 | 2x 240GB OCZ Radeon R7 | 2x 256 GB Samsung 840 Series Pro | 2 X 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 6x NF-F12’s | Place Holder GPU R9 290X |

Links Current 5960X Old FX9590

There are (or at least were) two very good reasons to get a mac for video editing.

1) iMovie - a easy to use and still very cabaple program that came/comes with every Mac

2) Final Cut Pro - a very powerful tool used by a shit ton of professionals for reasons.

Both OS X exclusives

Could build a hackintosh

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

In trying to understand why people use macs, i would say its down to reliability the college I went to used macs for their media and film departments. I guess its down to reliability I'm not sure. Having said that they did have a few powerful PC workstations there.

The reality is... If you are looking for the best performance in any given application PCs will always offer more. That's just the way it is.

This is all true. A Mac just mac is just massively underpowered and massively overpriced. I could build my self a sick desktop pc for editing for the same amount as one of the higher price macbook pros. Also never ever buy the dustbin. What a bad idea. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

In trying to understand why people use macs, i would say its down to reliability the college I went to used macs for their media and film departments. I guess its down to reliability I'm not sure. Having said that they did have a few powerful PC workstations there.

The reality is... If you are looking for the best performance in any given application PCs will always offer more. That's just the way it is.

Most Media Departments buy them because they and the people think they are good when they are not. Imagine trying to render a 1080p 1/2 hour video on an iMac and do not forget the lack of gpu acceleration. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Ars Technica has a really good article about different operating systems in creative professional envrionment. The article might be a bit long, but totally worth reading.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/making-the-ultimate-creative-content-os-ubercreate-os-1-0/

On page 4, you see Autodesk Maya rendering the same file on two machines, a Windows 8 based desktop with an overclocked Ivy Bridge hexa-core 3930K versus a MacBook Pro with a mobile Sandy Bridge quad-core CPU @2.5GHz.

Quote from the post:

"Windows responsiveness grinds to a crawl while rendering. That doesn't just affect the GUI. Networking slows down. Everything slows to a crawl, and it isn't just mental ray that does this—any renderer can cause Windows, even 8, to fall to its knees.

The kicker is that OS X and Linux render significantly faster for mental ray, due to the compiler issues mentioned, even while multitasking better.
"

Remember, higher specs may not result in higher performance, especially if the software and/or OS isn't properly optimised for the task.

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

Both OS X exclusives

That is just bullshit and guess what, many of the blockbusters aren't even edited in 4K but rather 2k. They are shot in 4k and as soon as the movie data leaves the recording media they are downsampled. 

Final cut pro X really sucks though.. imo >>

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

Could build a hackintosh

but still this isnt a common option. the parts are limited also. its tedious and most people just dont do it. 

i had the G5. the big daddy. top of the line dual xeons. the whole shabang. 

guess what, it never had a virus. After years of Limwire, browsing with no sort of common sense, no virus. 

3weeks of switching back to Windows....BOOM virus. 

Im not saying apple is better but i am saying there are pros to it. it is very easy to work around if you know the OS. 

Video and audio editing it just comes out on top.

Most software just works with mac better. the interface is easy enough to use and the processing power works. 

IMO production is the only thing Mac (PC's) have left. 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

but still this isnt a common option. the parts are limited also. its tedious and most people just dont do it. 

i had the G5. the big daddy. top of the line dual xeons. the whole shabang. 

guess what, it never had a virus. After years of Limwire, browsing with no sort of common sense, no virus. 

3weeks of switching back to Windows....BOOM virus. 

Im not saying apple is better but i am saying there are pros to it. it is very easy to work around if you know the OS. 

Video and audio editing it just comes out on top.

Most software just works with mac better. the interface is easy enough to use and the processing power works. 

IMO production is the only thing Mac (PC's) have left. 

I think when spending that much money people should be willing to build a hackintosh but that's just my opinion, also I've been running windows with anti virus for around 6 months now with no issues 

Could build a hackintosh

In a professional environment the cost of the mac is negligible. The time it needs to read into the topic might cost you more then what you would save.

This is all true. A Mac just mac is just massively underpowered and massively overpriced. I could build my self a sick desktop pc for editing for the same amount as one of the higher price macbook pros. Also never ever buy the dustbin. What a bad idea. 

Try to build a Macbook Pro for the same price and fail.

I think when spending that much money people should be willing to build a hackintosh but that's just my opinion, also I've been running windows with anti virus for around 6 months now with no issues 

its not that i didnt have an antivirus, i just was hit by some random download. no matter what you have, a virus can still make it into your computer. 

If its so easy to build a computer, and we all on the forums do, then why do companies still make desktop PC's? 

because my grandma cant distinguish a 240-dimm slot from a PCI-e slot.

apple has some darn good engineers. i dont care the shape but look at the new Mac Pro.

Thats an engineering beauty. Mad props to Apple on that one

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

In a professional environment the cost of the mac is negligible. The time it needs to read into the topic might cost you more then what you would save.

Try to build a Macbook Pro for the same price and fail.

you can't really build a laptop 

its not that i didnt have an antivirus, i just was hit by some random download. no matter what you have, a virus can still make it into your computer. 

If its so easy to build a computer, and we all on the forums do, then why do companies still make desktop PC's? 

because my grandma cant distinguish a 240-dimm slot from a PCI-e slot.

apple has some darn good engineers. i dont care the shape but look at the new Mac Pro.

Thats an engineering beauty. Mad props to Apple on that one

Because I agree a lot of people aren't willing to build them I just think they should be when spending large amounts of money :)

you can't really build a laptop 

than show me a laptop from another manufacturer that offers the same capabilities. I could also build a faster desktop for the money of a windows notebook.

Because I agree a lot of people aren't willing to build them I just think they should be when spending large amounts of money :)

but what about the form factor? 

The new Mac Pro is tiny but uber powerful. 

how is a custom going to beat that?

than show me a laptop from another manufacturer that offers the same capabilities. I could also build a faster desktop for the money of a windows notebook.

Of course you can build a faster desktop for the same price as a notebook, just for the record I'm not looking for an argument 

Both OS X exclusives

I like imovie but final cut pro has really gone down the tubes and I would much rather use premiere 

imovie beats the heck out of windows movie maker and its where I got my start 

#KilledMyWife 

but what about the form factor? 

The new Mac Pro is tiny but uber powerful. 

how is a custom going to beat that?

Don't know exactly how powerful it is haven't looked into it much so don't know if ITX could compete form factor wise personally I've never cared for form factor 

Don't know exactly how powerful it is haven't looked into it much so don't know if ITX could compete form factor wise personally I've never cared for form factor 

The formfactor is mainly for hipsters. I mean seriously there is NO expand-ability. 

#KilledMyWife