torn between a 3570K and an FX-8350

I'm split between these two cpu's my primary use would be for overclocking and gaming and these two chips came to mind. which one of these chips would you guys recommend (for higher OC's) bearing in mind i heard about the bad tinning in the ivy bridge chips which is swaying me more to the amd sides of things but what do you guys think?

Both CPUs are good choices for what you need. I'd probably opt for the 8350, since it's typically cheaper and the motherboards for it are usually cheaper as well (in price only, most of the boards are still great quality). Plus, there are some other tasks, such as video encoding (encoding, not rendering), that can make better use of the 8350 over the 3570k. The only thing to bear in mind is the 8350 does pull more power, especially when overclocked, so be sure to make sure your PSU can handle that plus whatever else you may be throwing in your rig.

i got a 630W Be-quiet pure power psu so should be sufficient and in time i'm going to add a custom loop and a 7950 or what ever is good at that point in time so i want a decent machine to last me a while :) and thanks for the reply appreciate the help

If your intention is just to game, I would highly recommend the i5 3570K over the FX 8350. You won't really implement the 8 "cores" (note the quotation marks), and while the 8350 can be overclocked to higher speeds on the core clock, it still performs worse clock-for-clock than a 3570K. The 3570K also draws less power and runs cooler than an 8350.

Like obsidian said, the FX 8350 is cheaper right off the bat, equivalent AMD motherboards are also less expensive and have more features (more sata 6gb/s ports) .

The FX 8350 is a more well-rounded processor, gives you good gaming performance with excellent productivity performance.

Another thing to note is that games have already started to make full use of 8 threads (Crysis 3) + all future consoles will have AMD inside, thus games in the future will heavily favor AMD's architecture.

Hmm, for me I would choose the 3570k. From what I've experienced, the extra cores on the FX 8350 don't really come in handy in that many games. And when it comes to price per dollar for performance, I think the 3570k is worth the extra.

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

ah think im going to go with the i5 3570k with a gigabyte ud3h board thanks guys :)

For gaming just go with the 3570k, it is plenty fast. Also if you are overclocking get a MSI motherboard, it is awesome for overclocking.

If your intention is just to game, I would highly recommend the i5 3570K over the FX 8350. You won't really implement the 8 "cores" (note the quotation marks), and while the 8350 can be overclocked to higher speeds on the core clock, it still performs worse clock-for-clock than a 3570K. The 3570K also draws less power and runs cooler than an 8350.
have you seen logan's video where he put the 8350 head to head against a i5 3570K, i7 3770K, and i7 3820, if you take a look, it beats them all, also theres a lot of new games that prefer the 8 core over the intel options, aka BF3, FC3, Crysis 3, etc, and of course the 8350 would draw more power, its an 8 core, not a quad core with 4 virtual cores, and it is a true 8 core cpu, its just 4 sets of "dual core" sections instead of 8 separate cores...

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

Yes, but each core is paired with another that shares its resources. There are still eight cores, they just have to cooperate in modules. I've seen Logan's video, and the fact that the 3770K performs similarly to the 3570K is a clear indication that the games are not utilizing more than four threads. The actual benchmarks of those games come down to CPU and driver optimization.

If you're so worried about a 2 frame difference get the 8350, other than that they both perform almost identically, although the 8350 is better for livestreaming because it uses all 8 cores.

Yes but all that says is that hyper-threading is a pain in the ass and pretty pointless in most cases it takes to much effort from the software end. I like Ivy chips I just think that hyper-threading is pointless they might as well just drop it and go for proper cores. Imagine what Intel could do with 8 actual cores or even 12 :).

Even without optimization windows load balancing works fine with physical cores. Its only with the Hyper-threads that it doesn't work to well.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Games can make use of more than 4 threads. What they don't do is make much use of is hyperthreading. For example on a very extreme build with multiple cards in SLI the 3570K can bottleneck... a 3770K won't solve your problem. However a 3930K will. Not because of more threads, but more physical cores.

My point is this: in gaming, my experience is that the two chips would perform very similarly. Now, I'm not going to take Logan's word as gospel because there are just too many variables in his benchmarks. The two chips are at the same price point; if I were using something that would obviously utilize all eight cores, such as video rendering for example, of course I am going to go with the 3570K. I will say I could expect the gaming experience to be similar. Purely gaming, however, I don't see any reason to get an 8350 because it runs hotter.

"On a very extreme build with multiple cards in SLI the 3570K can bottleneck."

Let's talk seriously for a second: if you were building a very extreme build with multiple cards in SLI, would you get an FX 8350? Of course not, you'd get a 3930K.

It is *no question* that the 3930K would outperform the 8350. My point is that because in gaming alone neither chip will bottleneck on a low-, medium-, or even high-tier system, it is logical to get the chip that runs cooler.

More cores is not always better, in fact this is rarely the case, and just because the 8350 has more cores that does not mean it will necessarily perform better than a 3570K. By that logic it would beat out a 3930K. In the end, game optimization is what matters.

I highly, highly doubt that my 3570K would bottleneck my HD 7970. Just because an 8350 might perform better in several games, that doesn't mean my 3570K is bottlenecking the graphics card. Likewise, just because my 3570K might perform better in several different games, that doesn't mean the 8350 is bottlenecking the graphics card. Optimization is dynamic, and benchmarks over time show this.

I know, I wasn't trying to push the recommendations one way or the other, or say the FX or Intel is a better option; I just wanted to point out for the record that games don't benefit from hyperthreading not because they don't use more threads at this time (implying that hyperthreading might be something of a future-proofing option) but because its hyperthreading. And due to the way hyperthreading works and the way games use CPU resources, games by nature aren't helped by hyperthreading. Basically I just wanted to make it clear that there is a difference between games not using more than 4 threads, and games not using hyperthreading. It's true that an i7 and an i5 are identical in gaming performance... but the reason is not what a lot of people think :) and even as games become more highly threaded this will remain true. Just want to get facts straight :)

Personally,I'd just see which is less expensive and can get a nicer motherboard for the same price. performance is PRETTY MUCH THE SAME PEOPLE.

With that being said, I personally got a 3570K because I got it for the same price as the 8350 AND 40 off a MoBo.

"Townes van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." - Steve Earle

ah think im going to go with the i5 3570k with a gigabyte ud3h board thanks guys :)
I have a UD3H and 3570K, make sure you get a good cooler as the board loves to OC.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

Well, for gaming and overclocking go with the FX-8350, it might be a tiny bit slower than the 3570k but it's cheaper and the mobo's are cheap too.

personnal preference, depends on the rest of the system, what m/board, your budget, what case etc etc. if you like militry stuff and eco colours the AMD with a sabertooth R2.0 in the C70 case (green) would be a good build if you like that kinda thing.

If you want and always have used Intel then stick with what you know.

all i am saying is there simular performance it might come down to the m/board you want to run to match your cpu.and type of cpu heatsink and cooler system

got to love Asus components

Like obsidian said, the FX 8350 is cheaper right off the bat, equivalent AMD motherboards are also less expensive and have more features (more sata 6gb/s ports) .

The FX 8350 is a more well-rounded processor, gives you good gaming performance with excellent productivity performance.

Another thing to note is that games have already started to make full use of 8 threads (Crysis 3) + all future consoles will have AMD inside, thus games in the future will heavily favor AMD's architecture.

This ^^

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!