Microsoft on Xbox One vertical orientation: "Do it at your own risk"

snowComet

Usually it's not a problem for which orientation you put yr game console in. But in the Tokyo Game Show, Albert Panello, senior director of product management and planning at Xbox told GameSpot,they don't encourage gamers putting the Xbox One in vertical orientation.

"We don't support vertical orientation; do it at your own risk." He clarified that "it wouldn't be a cooling problem, we just didn't design the drive for vertical. Because it's a slot loading drive, we just didn't design it for both".

http://asia.gamespot.com/tgs/microsoft-on-xbox-one-vertical-orientation-do-it-at-your-own-risk-6414731/

PS3 can be in the vertical position just fine and it uses a slot loading drive.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

loooooooool

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I like how for all the shortcomings of the xbone they have a "do at your own risk" attitude.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

who cares also imo it would crazy to put it vertical due to the size and probably weight 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

who cares also imo it would crazy to put it vertical due to the size and probably weight 

What about if you can't only put it vertical due to space, or you just plain want it sideways...

PS3 could be sideways and cause no damage to disks, PS4 will be the same.

Xbone screwed up.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

What about if you can't only put it vertical due to space, or you just plain want it sideways...

PS3 could be sideways and cause no damage to disks, PS4 will be the same.

Xbone screwed up.

you guys find every little thing to bash the Xbox One about. How many people honestly are going to need to put it vertically because their entertainment center/tv stand is so cluttered that it is the only way it will fit in the room?

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

you guys find every little thing to bash the Xbox One about. How many people honestly are going to need to put it vertically because their entertainment center/tv stand is so cluttered that it is the only way it will fit in the room?

Who cares?

Its something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

I'm not getting either console mind you, so I'm not interested in either of them, but it shouldn't happen regardless...

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

It's not really a BIG deal, but it does mean that the Xbox One will take up even more space at whatever location you put it since you can't put anything on top of it either...

It's not really a BIG deal, but it does mean that the Xbox One will take up even more space at whatever location you put it since you can't put anything on top of it either...

It can be a big deal if your setup requires it to be standing up. Besides, the Xbox 360 and PS3 can both be stood up just fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

You think they would think these sorts of things out when engineering this thing. I mean look at the 360...A lot of people used them vertically, Why would they do this?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

So many people are going to put is on it's side because they don't read about this type of stuff. All of those people will get broken XBones probably. A pretty big problem really. I would like to know why you can't put it on it's side because it's not the disc nor is it the HDD.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I think that's the only reason this could ever be an issue.

You think they would think these sorts of things out when engineering this thing. I mean look at the 360...A lot of people used them vertically, Why would they do this?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Supposedly Microsoft has stated that 20% of owners of the Xbox 360 use it in a vertical position.

I guess the Xbone will have a 20% failure rate.

I personally keep most of my stuff in horizontal position(except for my computer case), unless I really need to conserve space.

Microsoft made the Xbox 360(all versions except the E) practical to use the console in a vertical position, for them to come out and say this means that they still haven't fixed the disc scratching problems. Playsation 2, 3, and even 4 now haven't had this issue(or at least as big as MIcrosoft has had), so I don't understand the problem here.

This just says to me that they are preemptively warning people not to use it vertical because of disc scratching problems.

This just says to me that they are preemptively warning people not to use it vertical because of disc scratching problems.

In what way would the disc be scratched? Missing the slot and hitting the console itself? Inserting the disc? Or while the disc is physically spinning?

Or while the disc is physically spinning?

This^.

It's been a problem for the Xbox 360 for years now. The original Xbox 360 had this problem badly, they should have fixed it with the Slim, and it should be gone by now from the E, but I'm talking both in vertical and horizontal position.

So many people are going to put is on it's side because they don't read about this type of stuff. All of those people will get broken XBones probably. A pretty big problem really. I would like to know why you can't put it on it's side because it's not the disc nor is it the HDD.

Its most likely gonna be in the setup guide or manual.

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Here is the fix. Go to your electronics section of your local retailer, walk towards the Xbox One, then turn around and walk away. Congrats, you saved yourself 400+ dollars. Problem solved.

Its most likely is gonna be in the setup guide or manual.

Exactly, MS isn't that stupid to not put some kind of big sticker or warning on the manual or most likely the console itself, warning people to not do it. 

And another thing, even if 20% of people still ignored the warning and positioned the console at a vertical angle, it does not necessarily mean there's a 20% failure rate. They said they don't support it and to do it at your own risk. That is very different from flat out, don't do it, so even though there probably will be disc problems if you position if vertically, it's no guarantee and it's up to you if you want to take a risk. 

Kind of like overclocking, you do it at your own risk, and if you screw up your CPU because of bad and reckless overclocking, it's your fault because you made that decision at your own risk. (I know that wasn't the best example but I'm sure you guys get what I mean)

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Its most likely is gonna be in the setup guide or manual.

And who reads that. Settings up a console is easier then sitting on a chair. It's designed for idiots.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I see alot of scratched Discs in peoples future

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE