Xbox 360 to PC Mod

I just recently discovered a old Xbox 360 console (Halo 3 edition) that is dead in the water (and has been for some time judging by the rattling the insides make when you pick it up) and had the bright idea to mod it into a working gaming PC. I have no idea of when i'll actually get this project off the ground and running in the right direction, but I went ahead and put together a parts list of items that i'd like to see in it (assuming it will work). If anyone has any ideas of better gear or just better ideas in general (tips and what not), please feel free to chime in. This will be the first build I do where I don't use a "traditional" case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8gQvLk

7 minutes ago, SuperSaiyanJeter said:

I just recently discovered a old Xbox 360 console (Halo 3 edition) that is dead in the water (and has been for some time judging by the rattling the insides make when you pick it up) and had the bright idea to mod it into a working gaming PC. I have no idea of when i'll actually get this project off the ground and running in the right direction, but I went ahead and put together a parts list of items that i'd like to see in it (assuming it will work). If anyone has any ideas of better gear or just better ideas in general (tips and what not), please feel free to chime in. This will be the first build I do where I don't use a "traditional" case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8gQvLk

you're not gonna fit a full ATX PSU, 120mm AIO, or that GPU in there.

just do a node 202

EDIT: and also, don't put a high end CPU in there, it'll overheat. and the standard cd reader is a slimline

i have seen a lot of mods like this before on youtube because i have 3 xbox360 that all rrod'd, i started on one but it ended up being too much of a pain to do. you could try it but to put that cpu/mb combo with a cx series is super sketchy, i was planning to do it with a APU/mini-itx build and actually got it almost done the part i didnt like was the cable management and how it looked with the power suppy outside i even tried a mini psu or a 1u that my friend had and it didn't work out. 

If you feel like trying it out then go for it, though idk about trying to do a gaming pc in that small case, the x360 was famous for the rrod for a reason. if you decide on an htpc that might be a better choice.

if i post a link to amazon try to use the LTT affiliate code to help the channel http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&linkCode=ur2&tag=linustechtips-20

That was one of the very first things I thought about was the airflow (or lack thereof) with the 360 case as it is stock. I've been going back & forth on how I want to set it once everything is done...that way I have a better idea of where to modify the case for max airflow (without having to fabricate pieces to make the existing case big enough to house everything.

I realized painfully that the video card I had selected originally just would not fit. So I found a slightly better Sapphire R9 285 that's close to the same size as the Nano. I'll get around to updating that list with the video card and a smaller cooler.