Cheap PCIE risers

SpaceTurtle917

So I recently bought 2 Pci-e 16x risers for my recent mod. They are cheap $5 ones from amazon. I was wondering if I should do anything like check the solder points or anything before testing. Also if I have a high risk of damaging my components if the solders are touching and I don't notice it.

My GTX 970 carries me to global.

4 minutes ago, SpaceTurtle917 said:

So I recently bought 2 Pci-e 16x risers for my recent mod. They are cheap $5 ones from amazon. I was wondering if I should do anything like check the solder points or anything before testing. Also if I have a high risk of damaging my components if the solders are touching and I don't notice it.

Sounds like a lot of work but it definitely can save your ass. You wouldn't happen to have a spare card you'd be ready to part with? I'm thinking, instead of going though it with a multimeter, just plug in a known good but scrapworthy old card and see what happens.

1 minute ago, Bubblewhale said:

@iamdarkyoshi 

I recall him having a thread about cheap cables messing up the board/PCIE card.

I already saw that thread. His problem is he has the ones with the molex connector. Mine doesn't have a molex connector on it and my graphics card gets all its power from the 6pin connectors.

2 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Sounds like a lot of work but it definitely can save your ass. You wouldn't happen to have a spare card you'd be ready to part with? I'm thinking, instead of going though it with a multimeter, just plug in a known good but scrapworthy old card and see what happens.

Sadly I do not. But the card I'll be testing is an old $50 gtx 560.

3 minutes ago, SpaceTurtle917 said:

I already saw that thread. His problem is he has the ones with the molex connector. Mine doesn't have a molex connector on it and my graphics card gets all its power from the 6pin connectors.

Well i guess testing with a multimeter with a useless board and gpu could work if you're that concerned with the "breaking".

5 minutes ago, SpaceTurtle917 said:

Sadly I do not. But the card I'll be testing is an old $50 gtx 560.

Off topic, but this right here is why I only recommend Nvidia. I myself have two fully capable GTX580s in daily use with zero issues. For every HD6xxx that still works there are ten GTX5xxs that work even better. :) Albeit, I'll give that HD6xxx series wasn't terrible. But still, longevity is why we pay for Nvidias. 

6 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

Off topic, but this right here is why I only recommend Nvidia. I myself have two fully capable GTX580s in daily use with zero issues. For every HD6xxx that still works there are ten GTX5xxs that work even better. :) Albeit, I'll give that HD6xxx series wasn't terrible. But still, longevity is why we pay for Nvidias. 

Yeah while looking for a cheap used card I was looking for hd6870s

Take the blue tape off of yours and shine a light through the back of the PCB. Any shorts between wires will be extremely easy to spot. Next, doublecheck that each wire is going where they should be and are soldered well. Then I would put the tape back on and test it. Run benchmarks and stress tests. If all checks out and the card works exactly the same as normally installed, then tape the tape off once more and apply a generous layer of hot glue where the wires connect, this will relieve strain way better than the tape.

Hope this helps!

Yes yes thank you all for the support. I took the tape off and looked at all the connections. There was a sloppy solder that was connected that i cut with a razor blade. I rapped electrical tape around all the solder points but I'll probably put a ton of hot glue on them like iamdarkyoshi said. I plugged them both in and I get a post screen so they appear to work. I haven't done any testing but I will later.

i have had a riser cable from 1x to 16x and the 1x was soldered backwards. so always check the pinout

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

• 2 weeks later...
On 14 April 2016 at 9:22 AM, Naeaes said:

Do you have any information to back up that claim? There seems to be more Nvidea cards in the used market as many more were bought new and the longevity should mainly be based on the board partner.

4 minutes ago, l__T__l said:

Do you have any information to back up that claim? There seems to be more Nvidea cards in the used market as many more were bought new and the longevity should mainly be based on the board partner.

Basically it just seems to me that AMD cads tend to fail sooner than nVidia cards. In relation to when they were bought, not when they were launched, mind you.

From my work as an RMA handler, I have access to data on why and when RMA claims are being done. But I can't disclose any actual numbers due to NDA. My own opinions on general trends I can however blurt out all I want, be they based on stuff I pull out my ass or actual real-world data. Don't take what I say on face-value. You're right to question everything. :D