Know nothing about soundsystems. What do I need to know?

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
1 minute ago, usseN said:

Thank you for your reply. Very informative.

Can you make a list of the components I will need? (Subwoofer, receiver...) Have any recommendations? 

i usually get my stuff from craigslist cause im cheap :P
but you may want to buy new to have a warranty and maybe customer service

you will need a receiver, some speakers (2 or 4 or 5) and a subwoofer is optional

if you do get a subwoofer, it should be one with this kind of input

sub-back.jpg  the LFE

that you can connect directly to your receiver's subwoofer output

for a receiver you can get one of many brands such as yamaha, onkyo, etc...

i personally have used 3 sony receiver and they have been great

look for a 5.1, they arent too expensive and 7.1 is kinda unnecessary

the .1 can be .2 and it doesnt matter, thats just how many subwoofer outputs it has

your blu ray player needs to connect to the receiver, and the receiver to the tv

that means you need 2 HDMI cables, and 1 per additional device you want to connect

to get audio from the tv to the receiver (if you are watching tv and not blu ray) then you probably need a 3.5mm to RCA cable like this one

3.5mm%20Plug%20to%202%20RCA%20Lead%206%2

you dont need an audio cable for the blu ray player because that one can send it over HDMI

and finally you just need some cheap speaker cable to connect all the speakers

if you buy a kit then it probably already comes with this

if you need to buy speaker cable dont spend a lot of money, you can get like 50ft rolls for $10 or $20, dont buy into the "thicker is better" or any of that other cable crap marketing

I know what I need to know about displays, but sound is confusing to me. I want to hook up a surround system to a UHD TV and UHD Blu-Ray player. I don't want the audiosystem to be annoying to use. By that I mean manually choosing the soundsystem, taking 30 seconds every time I turn on the TV.

I have understood I should have a box (not sure the right name) to be the "master" that controls the audio in it self. Then it should be connected to speakers and a subwoofer.

• Should I buy a pack comptaining all I need?
  • Is it hard to set up (cables and such)?
  • Does this box need a special connection to my TV?
  • Do all my video-outputs have to travel through my audiobox? (This would make it easier I must say)
  • Is a certain audioconnection to my TV better than others?
  • The UHD Blu-Ray player has an HDMI-Audio port, what does this mean towards the audiosystem?

I find it hard to find out more on this topic. I might result to talking to an employee at an audiostore, but I want to be sincerly teached, without it being a salespitch...

All help is very much appreciated. If anyone know a guide or something that would be great too.

@Enderman

he is great with sound (i think)

Well, now you're reading this, I might as well inspire you with a deep quote

If you fall, I'll be there

- Floor

so inspiring, so deep, the feels ;-;  THE FEELS ;-;

Newer Build which I'm gonna buy when I haz moneyz

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£0.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£25.98 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 GAMING ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£78.10 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£0.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£29.76 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£0.00)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  (£179.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 780T ATX Full Tower Case  (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For £0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  (£59.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  (£24.99 @ Amazon UK)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£184.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £803.77

somethings says '£0.00' because I already bought them

probably best remix out there

If I follow you, consider your self lucky, I rarely follow people and when I do it's either because

1) I look up to you

2)I like your picture

3) Or you have an epic ass rig (40 titan x's 9 6700k's clocked at 29GHz that is what I call a epic ass rig, but no one has that soo...)

1) depends if you want to choose your own speakers to buy a set that already has what you need

2) nah, there are lots of tutorials or instructions online, all you need to know is how to plug in cables really

3) if you want the audio from your tv to be played through your speakers instead of the tv then yeah you need an audio cable going to the receiver

4) its called a AV receiver and yes you usually want all your stuff plugged into it, that way all you need to do is click a button on the remote and the receiver switches everything for you

5) you want your tv to send audio to the receiver, not the receiver to the tv, so all you need is a 3.5mm cable to RCA (because usually tvs have a 3.5mm audio output somewhere)

6) you can plug the HDMI into the receiver, then the receiver into the TV

when you click the button for dvd/blu ray the receiver will switch audio and video to that HDMI cable coming from the blu ray player

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) depends if you want to choose your own speakers to buy a set that already has what you need

2) nah, there are lots of tutorials or instructions online, all you need to know is how to plug in cables really

3) if you want the audio from your tv to be played through your speakers instead of the tv then yeah you need an audio cable going to the receiver

4) its called a AV receiver and yes you usually want all your stuff plugged into it, that way all you need to do is click a button on the remote and the receiver switches everything for you

5) you want your tv to send audio to the receiver, not the receiver to the tv, so all you need is a 3.5mm cable to RCA (because usually tvs have a 3.5mm audio output somewhere)

6) you can plug the HDMI into the receiver, then the receiver into the TV

when you click the button for dvd/blu ray the receiver will switch audio and video to that HDMI cable coming from the blu ray player

Can you make a list of the components I will need? (Subwoofer, receiver...) Have any recommendations? 

1 minute ago, usseN said:

you will need a receiver, some speakers (2 or 4 or 5) and a subwoofer is optional

sub-back.jpg  the LFE

the .1 can be .2 and it doesnt matter, thats just how many subwoofer outputs it has

your blu ray player needs to connect to the receiver, and the receiver to the tv

that means you need 2 HDMI cables, and 1 per additional device you want to connect

to get audio from the tv to the receiver (if you are watching tv and not blu ray) then you probably need a 3.5mm to RCA cable like this one

you dont need an audio cable for the blu ray player because that one can send it over HDMI

if you need to buy speaker cable dont spend a lot of money, you can get like 50ft rolls for $10 or $20, dont buy into the "thicker is better" or any of that other cable crap marketing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

sub-back.jpg  the LFE

You are a legend my friend. Thank you for teaching me. I feel information like this is hard to get without trial and error. 

2 minutes ago, usseN said:

You are a legend my friend. Thank you for teaching me. I feel information like this is hard to get without trial and error. 

np :)
if you need help when hooking up your receiver just post a pic on here and me or other people will help :)

Spoiler