Sony will sell the PS4 at a ($60*) loss.

They make bank on other things.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

weren't the PS3 and Xbox 360 sold at a massive loss?

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

weren't the PS3 and Xbox 360 sold at a massive loss?

yes, and Wii U, the XBOX One however is stated to sell with a profit.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Didn't they do this with PS3? It should be no surprises... 

something like this, yes.

considering you can build entire gaming system with all periferals under 800 bucks... and cheap games... fully functional PC and Monitor... free online... mods... communities...

no-brainer. not to mention you can allways upgrade your gpu ( 7870 is like 160 bucks when discouts or rebates )

not to mention you can play with gamepad in your living room with PC also...

hold on hold on. I like consoles. no, I love consoles. Consoles are the greatest thing to happen to gaming.

and now you're gonna rage at me and not even bother asking why I say this.

To be perfectly honest, I don't want the console community to be playing PC games. the PC community is generally much more mature and team-oriented. There's a reason why CoD isn't a big deal on the PC. people who play CoD are the kind of people that I don't want in my gaming community. (When I say this, I mean the whiny bitchy 12-year olds)

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

this is odd

when the ps4 was announced they said that it wont be sold at a loss like the ps3

not they say it does ?

odd

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

hold on hold on. I like consoles. no, I love consoles. Consoles are the greatest thing to happen to gaming.

and now you're gonna rage at me and not even bother asking why I say this.

To be perfectly honest, I don't want the console community to be playing PC games. the PC community is generally much more mature and team-oriented. There's a reason why CoD isn't a big deal on the PC. people who play CoD are the kind of people that I don't want in my gaming community. (When I say this, I mean the whiny bitchy 12-year olds)

consoles may be great, but prices are... sky high on the long term

i do not believe this, this sounds too stupid to be true and sony as we've see aren't that stupid but definitely something Microsoft will do.

Was the same with the PS3, sold it at a loss initially.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

consoles may be great, but prices are... sky high on the long term

True that.  Games are cheaper, don't get forced to buy overpriced peripherals because nothing else works, the xbox even locked wireless internet to there stupid little wifi adapter thing which is like £30....so stupid.

PC is more expensive initially, but as you buy more and more stuff it evens out and PC even over takes it eventually.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

i do not believe this, this sounds too stupid to be true and sony as we've see aren't that stupid but definitely something Microsoft will do.

Thats what SONY did with the Ps3 and even by waay more.

The PS3 was a loss for about 4-5 Years.

And the Xbox360 was also a loss for Years.

Thats how console's work they sell you for a cheap price a console at loss, but they get that money back with the higher priced games.

$10-20 from every game goes to SONY,Microsoft, and Nintendo thats the reason why console games are more expensiv then PC games.

And the developers have to pay them for patches and for a console licence to release a game on there platform.

RTX2070OC 

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who followed the last generation of consoles. The last generation was sold at a loss as well:
BBC Secrets of the Superbrands how much a Playstation 3 costs to make (highly recommend you watch the whole documentary because it is brilliant).

Why do they sell consoles at a loss? Because there is a huge profit margin on things like controllers and other accessories. Sony also get 1 cent per blank Blu-ray disc, 9 dollars per Blu-ray player, 12 dollars per blu-ray burner and they also get paid for each game/movies sold that uses a blu-ray disc. So yeah, Microsoft have to pay Sony not only for the Blu-ray reader in the Xbone, but every time someone buys an Xbone game some of the money goes to Sony as well.

This isn't surprising and makes total sense. Selling at a loss and then making money off the customer for years after in different ways is a good move and can help you undercut the price of what your competition is offering.

No surprises.

As for the PS+ membership, the amount of value you get from it is definitely worth it for the measly $60/year pricetag. 

Also, as it was mentioned here. $600 split into 10 $60 payments is much less of an impact than $600 all at once (for the full 10 years); basic economics. Not really a fair comparison when taking into account the "cost" of owning a console over its lifetime. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

True that.  Games are cheaper, don't get forced to buy overpriced peripherals because nothing else works, the xbox even locked wireless internet to there stupid little wifi adapter thing which is like £30....so stupid.

PC is more expensive initially, but as you buy more and more stuff it evens out and PC even over takes it eventually.

In my opinion consoles are stupid. They say these consoles will last 10 years, meaning you would have to pay 400 bucks + 600 bucks for ps+. You are paying that for consoles that is struggeling to hit 1080p on launch titles. The so called "next gen consoles" are quite garbage.

something like this, yes.

considering you can build entire gaming system with all periferals under 800 bucks... and cheap games... fully functional PC and Monitor... free online... mods... communities...

no-brainer. not to mention you can allways upgrade your gpu ( 7870 is like 160 bucks when discouts or rebates )

not to mention you can play with gamepad in your living room with PC also...

Yeah yeah, we all know PC gaming is better. We can't even talk about consoles on here without someone giving their opinion about how much better PCs are. We know, you can upgrade it, we know it has better graphics, yes.

SHUT UP and let us talk about consoles without hearing how much they suck on every other post.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Wanna know where they're making that $60 from? PSN. 

So really, they're not selling it at a loss, but they're not really making a profit either. 

COMIC SANS

I wonder how many parents would subscribe their kids to PSN. It's something that they may not be used to paying for unlike the Xbox users.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

After a bit of research, I found that Sony was saying in May that they would not sell the PS4 for a "major loss" like they did with the PS3. So, even though I doubted that they would sell at a loss, maybe I am wrong. Makes me wonder how Microsoft will be selling the Xbone for a profit considering they include Kinect hardware. 

After a bit of research, I found that Sony was saying in May that they would not sell the PS4 for a "major loss" like they did with the PS3. So, even though I doubted that they would sell at a loss, maybe I am wrong. Makes me wonder how Microsoft will be selling the Xbone for a profit considering they include Kinect hardware. 

Hmm yeah I remember hearing about Sony saying that they wouldn't make a loss on the console. Conflicting messages...

Microsoft will probably lose about the same or less than Sony though. The GPU in the Xbone is a lot slower and simpler (so it's cheaper), the RAM is a lot cheaper and the Kinect most likely does not cost more than 100 dollars to make, so if Sony loses about 60 dollars per PS 4 then Microsoft might actually sell the Xbone with the Kinect for very close to what it costs to manufacture (might even be making a profit).

Let's say they save 30 dollars on the GPU and RAM, and the Kinect costs something like 70 dollars to manufacture (based on the fact that the old Kinect was about 56 dollars to manufacture, so add a 25% increase in cost for the better hardware). Assuming the other parts costs about the same we can estimate that the Xbone costs 460 dollars to make, minus 30 (for the lower end GPU and RAM) and then plus 70 dollars for the Kinect, which ends up being exactly 500 dollars in total cost, which means Microsoft are not losing, nor making money from the console.

Wanna know where they're making that $60 from? PSN. 

So really, they're not selling it at a loss, but they're not really making a profit either. 

Even with PS+ they would be losing $10 because PS+ cost $50.

Even with PS+ they would be losing $10 because PS+ cost $50.

Could have sworn it was $60. Oh well. 

COMIC SANS

Sony and Xbox have been doing this for years...

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

I'm surprised MS didn't do this. Sell it at a loss, and then defenatly make up for it with xbox live or whatever the hell they call it. Hell, raise the price of live by $5 and no one will notice if you drop the console price by $70. 

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Console hardware is ALWAYS sold at a loss; the lost revenue is made up by game purchases.