What to use for sound: Xonar DX or Supreme FX ?

Ajinta

Hello I got myself a new Maximus 8 Ranger motherboard which has Supreme FX sound on it which is told to be best motherboard audio. In my current build I am usin Xonar DX souncard wit unofficial driver, because official actualy sound bad at least for me. I must state that I only use TOSLINK output and no headphones. I heve a 5.1 system with high quality floorstanding speakers and a Harman Kardon AVR5500 reciver. It is unit from 2001 and I wont replaci since it sounds better than most never ones, it has 16 kilos by the way. I am usinx xonar for Dolby digital, but Supreme FX uses DTS.neo. No problem for me because receiver can use both encodings. My question is if supreme FX isbetter than 8 year old card for optical listening or not and if someone has any experience. I am asking in advance as I am still waiting for my RAM to have all the parts for Skylake build.

Well I'm not an expert on specialized PC sound cards, but DTS will almost always sound better than Dolby Digital. Think about using an external DAC/amp, as internal sound cards can be compromised by the other components.

My PC: MSI X99s SLI PLUS///Intel i7 5820k///Corsair H100i///Crucial DDR4 12GB///EVGA Supernova Gold 750w G2///ASUS GTX 1080 Strix///Phanteks Enthoo Luxe///Intel 730 240GB SSD///WD Blue 1TB///Intel 6250 WiFi
Current Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598///Corsair K70 LUX///Logitech MX Master///Razer Destructor 2///Saitek X52///Acer X34 Predator

I heard that too...xonar DX only does dolby digital.

Thread has been moved to the Audio sub-forum.

@AjintaWelcome to our forum! Just make a self-note to post in the correct subforums in the future, if you have any questions or you're unsure where to post something you can PM one of the mods that are online at the time and we'd gladly help!

Hopefully now that this thread is in the correct place more experienced members on this topic can assist you more easily :D

If you're using optical, you're bypassing ALL audio processing on your motherboard or soundcard.

6 hours ago, Ajinta said:

snip

Optical is digital, so the card/mobo won't be processing the audio anyway. If you try both out, and find one to sound better, use that one. It shouldn't make a huge difference though.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti