Why is this Old Hdd so expensive?

MrIceCremeLollipop

Considering Its size, I don't understand the price?

I would understand if it had apple written all over it...

Capture.PNG

just cause he selling at that price doesn't mean its worth that.

Who knows. Maybe someone could be severely overvaluing their product?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

It's SAS, which means enterprise stuff, and 10k, which means it spins faster than a regular hdd.

Simply said it's a performance hdd before ssd's were common.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

Capture.PNG

Old stuff is always going to get more expensive as at ages because people think that the rarity has something to do with the price(look up how much people want for old motherboards, and cpus), but for this drive it is a server grade drive so there probbably aren't many of them due to them being useless.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, Fooshi said:

10K RPM SAS drives have a tendency to be more expensive than the usual 7.2K SATA drives. 10K SAS are usually significantly faster.

O rite thanks!

its a 10k enterprise sas drive

thats why

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Some old stuff tends to cost considerably more than most people would think it should.  A good example of this is older RAM (DDR and DDR2).  Plus it's a 10k RPM enterprise SAS drive.. maybe that balances out the fact it's only 36GB?  I don't think it should, but you know how these things are :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I am pretty sure that's not a 32GB drive, but rather a 320GB drive. So it's that, plus 10K RPM, and I think it is enterprise grade as well.

The WD VelociRaptor, 300GB, was something like 200 pounds when it came out so this drive might have been ~400 pounds. It's by no means worth 72 pounds today, but it is not THAT unreasonable that someone would think it is.

Who knows if anyone would actually pay that..  But seriously, sometimes people suffer drive failures with important data and, in order to repair a drive, one or more 'donor' drives are required for the repair.  So the cost of buying a drive, even an expensive one on eBay, is minimal compared to the thousands of dollars a mechanical 'data recovery' costs to perform.

Also, that drive has a tray attached which may be valuable to someone.

But yeah, as another poster pointed out, that was probably a $1000-$1500 drive brand-new.  Some applications just can't have a SSD substituted in all that easily.  For instance, many systems in nuclear power plants are 'qualified' with a certain set of components, and it is mountains of paperwork to deviate from the original specs.  So they send their staff onto eBay to find parts.

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I am pretty sure that's not a 32GB drive, but rather a 320GB drive. So it's that, plus 10K RPM, and I think it is enterprise grade as well.

The WD VelociRaptor, 300GB, was something like 200 pounds when it came out so this drive might have been ~400 pounds. It's by no means worth 72 pounds today, but it is not THAT unreasonable that someone would think it is.

Nope, it's a 36.4gb scsi drive (not SAS but the one before SAS ) 

Still to exercise, 3 years back I bought 300GB models for that price. 

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

On 4/13/2016 at 1:26 PM, MrIceCremeLollipop said:

Capture.PNG

its pounds, hes selling it by the weight 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

11 hours ago, PeloyGeek said:

its pounds, hes selling it by the weight 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I wish all computer stuff was sold by the pound...  I think we would all save a lot on some stuff, like CPUs and laptops in general :P  And there would be no real difference in price between a 4 TB drive and a 500 GB drive

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I wish all computer stuff was sold by the pound...  I think we would all save a lot on some stuff, like CPUs and laptops in general :P  And there would be no real difference in price between a 4 TB drive and a 500 GB drive

or even better in ssd's 

It's well over priced, probably due to the rarity of it - so anyone relying on that hardware, is forced to pay more than its worth.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000AT8U4/

As pointed out above its actually a SCSI drive, not a SAS - no doubt there are still hordes of old machines out there that rely on legacy software installed on old Windows NT 4.0 machines that still rely on old hardware like this - and thats where sellers like these make that money.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA