Back to Boinc

I'm a long time PrimeGrid cruncher for a different team, but weather is starting to warm up again now and I can't run 100% for much longer without melting my house. So I'm debating what other options to take. Open question: what are the most active Boinc projects here? I'd be particularly interested if some or more of the following are met:

• less CPU intensive than Prime95 (or equivalent)
  • runs well on CPU, that isn't made pointless by GPUs
  • is actively participated by members of this forum
  • shorter work units are a plus (hours)

So far I've joined Seti, Einstein, and World Community Grid in the LTT team. Any other suggestions?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, porina said:

I'm a long time PrimeGrid cruncher for a different team, but weather is starting to warm up again now and I can't run 100% for much longer without melting my house. So I'm debating what other options to take. Open question: what are the most active Boinc projects here? I'd be particularly interested if some or more of the following are met:

• less CPU intensive than Prime95 (or equivalent)
  • runs well on CPU, that isn't made pointless by GPUs
  • is actively participated by members of this forum
  • shorter work units are a plus (hours)

So far I've joined Seti, Einstein, and World Community Grid in the LTT team. Any other suggestions?

Well, my go to recommendation is always WCG. And I guess you know this, but the sieve projects for PG are also pretty low on consumption. In particular, the recently open GCW manual sieve, which doesn't use modern instruction sets (= runs cool).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I would say WCG

Feel free to help me get better Folding/Boinc gear use my EVGA Affiliate Code: UXDU12XE8E

Sounds like WCG it is then. There's a 9 day challenge on PrimeGrid starting later today, so I'll probably divert power to WCG after that is finished.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

• 2 weeks later...

The challenge over at PrimeGrid is now over so I'm redirecting my power to WCG as soon as I do some maintenance and reconfiguration. Let's see how quick I can climb up the ranks :)  Quite pleased to see my work phone alone has produced some credits itself up to now.

Anyone know if WCG tasks benefits from hyper-threading? I'm re-enabling it now since the PrimeGrid tasks I did work better without. Even if not, I think it would inflate my hours count.

I have HT turned on and it seems to help

Feel free to help me get better Folding/Boinc gear use my EVGA Affiliate Code: UXDU12XE8E

On 28/04/2016 at 5:28 PM, porina said:

Anyone know if WCG tasks benefits from hyper-threading? I'm re-enabling it now since the PrimeGrid tasks I did work better without. Even if not, I think it would inflate my hours count.

If you are aiming for medals, HT pretty much doubles your runtime.

If you are talking about raw work done, I believe it does. I once did some research on it, and it seems HT does help; however, since you can't do controlled tests like we can on PG, take it with a grain of salt.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!