Dell Ultrasharp to slow for gaming?

nkucz

I have the U2412m and I cant say that I've had any problems with input lag or the resolution in any of the games i play.

NOOOO. 8MS will look garbage. Do you want a gaming oriented monitor, or any run of the mill monitor? IPS usually isn't ideal for intense gaming. Message me dude, we can discuss monitors on there. 

For all the falsely accused: message me and we can decide how to right all the wrongs that happened to you!

I'm looking at the major corporations, the lying online communities, the government that protects us...

We are HUMANS, not robotic slaves! 

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

Ok let's get something straight.  Response time does not matter.  The response times listed on monitor spec sheets aren't even relevant to what you use the monitor for.

How long it takes the pixel to change from one color to another depends on the starting color and the ending color, it is not a set number.  Manufacturers' quoted response time is for a pixel transition that almost never occurs in any actual video output.  The reason they quote that one is because it is the fastest transition, and everyone likes lower numbers right?

There is also no standardized way of measuring response time.  If you look at some actual frame-by-frame images of monitors switching pixels, you will see 6ms monitors beating 1ms monitors... Ignore the response time number, it really does not tell you anything.

I would go IPS as well.  I game a lot, and I didn't notice any difference in ghosting going from TN to IPS, and the colors are far better.

I would go for 1920x1200 if you can get it; games do generally prefer 1920x1080, and you usually get a larger field of view, but remember that 1920x1200 contains 1080p inside it, so you can still run games at 1080p natively.  You'll have thin black bars on top and bottom, but with IPS monitors the blacks are very deep, and I don't notice the bars at all when I play.  When outside of a game, I prefer the taller aspect ratio, it's far better for browsing, word documents, and... basically everything beyond games and movies.

I like this answer, has logic and reasoning and a perfect solution, which monitor do you have?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

ASUS PA248Q

nice, what do you think of this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236331

nice, what do you think of this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236331

That looks great.  Basically you lose some of the adjustment features in the stand, the DisplayPort input, and probably some OSD color adjustment options but those don't matter for most people :P And the savings are pretty good

That looks great.  Basically you lose some of the adjustment features in the stand, the DisplayPort input, and probably some OSD color adjustment options but those don't matter for most people :P And the savings are pretty good

what about ips bleeding.. how bad is it?

My AH-IPS Dell U2713HM has no noticable lag or input response time, ghosting, etc. I game on it almost every day. Go IPS.

Btw, it has zero light bleeding.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

what about ips bleeding.. how bad is it?

There is some backlight bleed in the lower right, a little, but you don't even see it unless the entire screen is black.  In which case, you are probably not doing anything.  I've never actually noticed it unless I am asked if there is any bleeding... In fact every time I am asked (like now) I have to switch to a blank input to check, because I've forgotten whether there is any or not.

No the thing is, response time doesn't have an accurate measurement, but it's all about it's speed. You need to check out some reviews and see what people. It's how it's engineered, specs don't make a difference. Someones PC can have better specs, but if the integration is better on another one, then end of the day it doesn't make a difference whatsoever. 

For all the falsely accused: message me and we can decide how to right all the wrongs that happened to you!

I'm looking at the major corporations, the lying online communities, the government that protects us...

We are HUMANS, not robotic slaves! 

I think that's all VERY PERSONAL. Perception of response times, blur, lag etc. are very variable. For example : I had Samsung B2230 and it was used for movies and gaming for a pretty long time. After that I've bought Dell U2412M and in my case a big disappointment. That thing gave me eye strain and headaches, very unpleasant feeling overall. Colors were very good, in case of viewing angles - I don't really care, way too bright and for FPS gaming it was not so good as my B2230.

So, can't tell you "DON'T BUY IT" only because I had a pretty bad experience with that monitor but I think all that "IPS-PLS" thing is developing pretty slow and don't really offer an unforgetable and rich experience over TN and even over CCFL TN monitors like Asus VH236H. Of course I'm talking about "budget" IPS/PLS monitors and not about 8bit, 10bit, 30bit which are for professional use anyway.

In my opinion today we have TWO extreme oposites in pc monitors market today which are : 120Hz/144Hz TN LED   and    IPS/PLS LED. No good all-around product, if you want to play you must go 100+Hz monitor, if you like colors you must go IPS/PLS! Korean "overclocable" I don't count because they are not so reliable in terms of warranty, return policy and availability to all etc. so... WTF!

What if people like the colors and love to play faster games ? Then potential problem might be that damn PWM on these new LED monitors that are gently f*cking with your eyes and brain with those strobe lights and all that because of companies and their policy : "make everything as cheaply as it can and sell sell sell sell for big profit" justifiying all that with "Think Green" "Save the planet" (by ruining your eyes and brain), green my *ss! You don't get any clearer picture with LED TN panel over CCFL TN panel, only much brighter and maybe a LITTLE bit more contrast but blind-bright!

Point of this post of mine was not to express my frustrations or to offend someone.

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

I think that's all VERY PERSONAL. Perception of response times, blur, lag etc. are very variable. For example : I had Samsung B2230 and it was used for movies and gaming for a pretty long time. After that I've bought Dell U2412M and in my case a big disappointment. That thing gave me eye strain and headaches, very unpleasant feeling overall. Colors were very good, in case of viewing angles - I don't really care, way too bright and for FPS gaming it was not so good as my B2230.

So, can't tell you "DON'T BUY IT" only because I had a pretty bad experience with that monitor but I think all that "IPS-PLS" thing is developing pretty slow and don't really offer an unforgetable and rich experience over TN and even over CCFL TN monitors like Asus VH236H. Of course I'm talking about "budget" IPS/PLS monitors and not about 8bit, 10bit, 30bit which are for professional use anyway.

In my opinion today we have TWO extreme oposites in pc monitors market today which are : 120Hz/144Hz TN LED and IPS/PLS LED. No good all-around product, if you want to play you must go 100+Hz monitor, if you like colors you must go IPS/PLS! Korean "overclocable" I don't count because they are not so reliable in terms of warranty, return policy and availability to all etc. so... WTF!

What if people like the colors and love to play faster games ? Then potential problem might be that damn PWM on these new LED monitors that are gently f*cking with your eyes and brain with those strobe lights and all that because of companies and their policy : "make everything as cheaply as it can and sell sell sell sell for big profit" justifiying all that with "Think Green" "Save the planet" (by ruining your eyes and brain), green my *ss! You don't get any clearer picture with LED TN panel over CCFL TN panel, only much brighter and maybe a LITTLE bit more contrast but blind-bright!

Point of this post of mine was not to express my frustrations or to offend someone.

Disagree. U2412M is an excellent choice for games and work. Especially work/videos. Typing on a spreadsheet or doing PowerPoints are brilliant. Colors are sharp as expected from an ips and the built quality is equally top notch as well. I play games on it(Arkham City); the cinematically are superb. Note it's price point too.

Not going against ur opinion but this is mine.

Cheers :)

False. U can set it to 1920x1080.

We all understand that, but natively you can't buy one that has that default resolution unless its 23.8 inches

I own a Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM myself (the 23", 1920x1080 variant; a step under the U2412M) and I don't experience any noticable input lag. Also, the monitor has very vibrant colour reproduction! Having be that the U2412M is a step up, the 1920x1200 resolution provides plenty of screen real estate - it can be useful for media editing and such.

8ms is fine. I, at least, can't perceive any difference with 2ms and 8ms monitors...

okay yes true..

lol <3

Get the Dell, period

If you think 8ms is too slow, check this out: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Compare with other so called "5ms" monitors.

Different companies have different ways of measuring response time, and Dell does not lag behind in terms of response time and input lag in real world performance.

Two revolutionary dance tones

im sure Emperor_Piehead and i would both tell you to grab the Dell. 

3 years, no questions asked return policy. 

plus you get free 2 day cross shipping. so in 2 days you have a new monitor and you never pay a dime to send back the old one nor do you go a day without a monitor. 

i play FPS'ers a ton and my monitor has a high lag and its never been an issue for me. 

Thats why you suck so bad at BF3!!HAHA jk 

Get a Qnix cause its so much easier to own noobs at 1440p 120hz..

Thats why you suck so bad at BF3!!HAHA jk 

Get a Qnix cause its so much easier to own noobs at 1440p 120hz..

<_<

OneGun is a hoss at BF3

Or am I just a noob?

I blame it on the monitor lag :D

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

<_<

OneGun is a hoss at BF3

Or am I just a noob?

I blame it on the monitor lag :D

Gonna be on BF3 tonight bud?

Gonna be on BF3 tonight bud?

Hopefully :D

But probably later. Like 11.

Maybe _ASSASSIN_ will join

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP