Dell Ultrasharp to slow for gaming?

nkucz

I really want this monitor but it has a 8ms response time, is that to slow for fps games such as call of duty, counterstrike, and battlefield?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047&Tpk=dell%20ultrasharp%2024%20inch

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

I wouldn't go anything over 5MS

ugh, but its so perfect

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

ugh, but its so perfect

For gaming, some games might not even support that resolution, I would just get a Korean 1440p monitor

That one is better

you said something about the resolution though?

you said something about the resolution though?

Yea some games won't support 1920x1200 natively

uh oh

so is it better to go with 23inch monitor?

so is it better to go with 23inch monitor?

Size doesn't matter, it is the resolution, so you can stick with 24" but you could just get 1080P

Size doesn't matter, it is the resolution, so you can stick with 24" but you could just get 1080P

they are all 1920x1200

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2312HM-IPS-Monitor/dp/B005LN1JEC

Just get one of these, I have 2 and they are perfect for gaming. 

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

Oh ok then yea go 23"

still can't find a good one.. is 6ms okay? lol

im sure Emperor_Piehead and i would both tell you to grab the Dell. 

3 years, no questions asked return policy. 

plus you get free 2 day cross shipping. so in 2 days you have a new monitor and you never pay a dime to send back the old one nor do you go a day without a monitor. 

i play FPS'ers a ton and my monitor has a high lag and its never been an issue for me. 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

don't listen to @CoolBeans , once you go IPS, you just don't go back, it's way to amazing how good the color reproduction is on my monitor (in sig.), just play maps from BF3 such as armored kill and end game and you will be amazed, and btw, input lag isn't a big deal, I used to have a 120hz monitor and it feels the exact same going to this 6ms monitor

don't listen to @CoolBeans , once you go IPS, you just don't go back, it's way to amazing how good the color reproduction is on my monitor (in sig.), just play maps from BF3 such as armored kill and end game and you will be amazed, and btw, input lag isn't a big deal, I used to have a 120hz monitor and it feels the exact same going to this 6ms monitor

Ehh, why waste 300$ on a monitor and only get 8MS response time :P

Ehh, why waste 300$ on a monitor and only get 8MS response time :P

mine is 6ms and only costed $210, btw it's because it has stellar colors and the "quality per frame" is much better and I enjoy gaming a ton more, I still play like a complete boss in BF3, the IPS isn't a limitation, it's actually a benefit how people just don't merge colors with the wall unlike a TN

Ok let's get something straight.  Response time does not matter.  The response times listed on monitor spec sheets aren't even relevant to what you use the monitor for.

How long it takes the pixel to change from one color to another depends on the starting color and the ending color, it is not a set number.  Manufacturers' quoted response time is for a pixel transition that almost never occurs in any actual video output.  The reason they quote that one is because it is the fastest transition, and everyone likes lower numbers right?

There is also no standardized way of measuring response time.  If you look at some actual frame-by-frame images of monitors switching pixels, you will see 6ms monitors beating 1ms monitors... Ignore the response time number, it really does not tell you anything.

I would go IPS as well.  I game a lot, and I didn't notice any difference in ghosting going from TN to IPS, and the colors are far better.

I would go for 1920x1200 if you can get it; games do generally prefer 1920x1080, and you usually get a larger field of view, but remember that 1920x1200 contains 1080p inside it, so you can still run games at 1080p natively.  You'll have thin black bars on top and bottom, but with IPS monitors the blacks are very deep, and I don't notice the bars at all when I play.  When outside of a game, I prefer the taller aspect ratio, it's far better for browsing, word documents, and... basically everything beyond games and movies.