SLI stupid question

jetstarkiller

Ok so I am just curious and I cannot find the answer anywhere. I know Nvdia sli must be the same card. However for the titan (with 6gb) and the titan x (12gb) can they be in SLI and you would have just 6gb orfram? Or are they consider different and so no SLI? 

I know it is stupid I am just wondering... 

titan =/= titan black =/= titan X

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The Titan and Titan X are different cards.

It would effectively be two Titans if you sli them, each only using 6 gigs of vram. Right?

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

3 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

The Titan and the Titan X are not the same card, so no SLI

That what I was thinking. Cool one more stupid fact that I know from now on. Thanks

yeah one is Kepler architecture and one is Maxwell I believe, it wouldn't work. Now there used to be a work around to do 2 cards like a 4gb 960 with a 2gb 960, but they would only use 2gb between the 2.

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

Just now, HrutkayMods said:

yeah one is Kepler architecture and one is Maxwell I believe wouldn't work. Now there used to be a work around to do 2 cards like a 4gb 960 with a 2gb 960, but they would only use 2gb between the 2.

Yeah I know about the 960 that partially why I was asking. I have a titan X and wanted to sli. I am going to get another titan x no matter what but I was curious. 

I do not understand why they are so expensive on ebay... I payed mine $1000 and it is an hybrid... they are like 1500 on ebay for a oem one. 

I am going to way for the new gen and the price to drop and will get one then.  

in order to SLI

1) they must be the SAME GPU (titan + titan, no titan + titan X, 960 + 960, no 960 + 760)

2) they must have the same amount of Vram (4 + 4, no 2+4, no 4+6)

3) they must be SLI capable (duh)

"k so what about titan Z and titan black? isnt titan Z just 2x titan black?"

no `-` because nvidia says so

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

in order to SLI

1) they must be the SAME GPU (titan + titan, no titan + titan X, 960 + 960, no 960 + 760)

2) they must have the same amount of Vram (4 + 4, no 2+4, no 4+6)

3) they must be SLI capable (duh)

"k so what about titan Z and titan black? isnt titan Z just 2x titan black?"

no `-` because nvidia says so

That is funny about the titan z and titan black lol

So is it AMD that can have different amount of VRAM and work by using the lower amount of VRAM as long as they are the same cards? I though that something like that was possible... 

4 minutes ago, jetstarkiller said:

So is it AMD that can have different amount of VRAM and work by using the lower amount of VRAM as long as they are the same cards? I though that something like that was possible... 

AMD CF is more flexible, u must check their CF chart for compatibility coz its impossible to remember each and every combination

AMD CF also allows different amount of VRAM, but is limited to the lower amount so if 6+4, then both card will only run at 4+4, which means 4gb effective vram

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

AMD CF is more flexible, u must check their CF chart for compatibility coz its impossible to remember each and every combination

AMD CF also allows different amount of VRAM, but is limited to the lower amount so if 6+4, then both card will only run at 4+4, which means 4gb effective vram

Yeah that was I was thinking of. They make it so complicated in terms of compatibility... 

1 minute ago, jetstarkiller said:

Yeah that was I was thinking of. They make it so complicated in terms of compatibility... 

well being flexible has its pros and cons