Sound Cards: Do We Need Them

teddy710
Just now, ThomasD said:

LOL, you really need to get over yourself.  I understand you all too clearly.

What you don't understand is that every bolded term you use is totally subjective.  In other words, they are opinions in the eye of the beholder.   Beyond that they are meaningless.  Yes audiophools throw them around like they have absolute and measurable differences, but that doesn't make it so.

Muddy is not a audiophile term, I have heard a lot of normal people descripe the sound that way when their phones cant power their headphones. 

My bolded things are not subjective because that is a simple definition of what the word stands for.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

How do you define insanity? We've got it in spades.

1000$ optical cable or hdmi, putting rocks on your audio things because they make the sound "cleaner". 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

1000$ optical cable or hdmi, putting rocks on your audio things because they make the sound "cleaner". 

Oh, none of that here. We just have the "NO! Use garden shears and acid to dispose of it" insanity.

This is the problem with descriptions of audio quality over measurements.  Some people might say "muddy", others might say "bass is overpowered", and others might complain about "bass bloom".  It depends, and they all describe different problems people might have with their audio.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

My bolded things are not subjective because that is a simple definition of what the word stands for.

Homey please.  Two of your words that I bolded for you were GOOD and BAD.

When used in relation to what someone hears the terms are entirely subjective.

As is muddy.

I'm a musician, I play guitar and bass.  I also build electric guitars and tube amplifiers.  I've heard every bit of these arguments for decades.

Oh, none of that here. We just have the "NO! Use garden shears and acid to dispose of it" insanity.

there was one dude in a music store that said I needed to buy a bag of rocks and put in on my cables and get some other wierd things. I just walked out of the store.

there was one dude in a music store that said I needed to buy a bag of rocks and put in on my cables and get some other wierd things. I just walked out of the store.

You have to hold the cables upside-down to let the data and sound flow more quickly! You use the bag of rocks to properly elevate the cables.

2 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

Homey please.  Two of your words that I bolded for you were GOOD and BAD.

When used in relation to what someone hears the terms are entirely subjective.

As is muddy.

I'm a musician, I play guitar and bass.  I also build electric guitars and tube amplifiers.  I've heard every bit of these arguments for decades.

Where did I wrote good and bad?

You have to hold the cables upside-down to let the data and sound flow more quickly! You use the bag of rocks to properly elevate the cables.

I will try that xD 

Where did I wrote good and bad?

In the part of your previous post.

The one I quoted.

???

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I will try that xD 

It's what we do in networking. CatX is a measure of how many cats can flow through the cable per minute. Cats make up most of the internet so they are used to measure data transfer. Cat5 is a measure of 5 Cats per minute, Cat6 is 6 cats per minute, and Cat6A is 6 cats + 1 armadillo per minute. 

Very precise. Putting your cable upside-down can increase your cats.

4 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

In the part of your previous post.

The one I quoted.

???

Found it xD 

If your headphones sounds good on other computers and you have tried a amp on your own pc to see if it was a power problem, but the sound is still bad then you have a bad onboard dac.

Well I wrote this like it's yourself that decides if the sound is good or bad. I dont really care if I think something is bad, if the person who owns the headphones thinks that their headphones sound better on their own pc, they should not care if the headphones doesnt sound like they do when they are paired with a transparent amp and dac if they like the sound they get better than the one from the transparrent pair.

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

It's what we do in networking. CatX is a measure of how many cats can flow through the cable per minute. Cats make up most of the internet so they are used to measure data transfer. Cat5 is a measure of 5 Cats per minute, Cat6 is 6 cats per minute, and Cat6A is 6 cats + 1 armadillo per minute. 

Very precise. Putting your cable upside-down can increase your cats.

So can I open the cat6A and see an armadillo and six cats xD 

Just now, Dackzy said:

Yeah, the armadillos travel over the brown/white copper cable. Fun fact.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Just now, Dackzy said:

Absolutely! They are sewn together though, hence it being called a patch cable.

When they are meowing over eachother, it creates a phenomenon called "crosstalk."

Just now, h264 said:

Yeah, the armadillos travel over the brown/white copper cable. Fun fact.

Uhhhh I have never seen one before. So do I need to plug one end into my router and then look into the cat6A cable? xD 

Uhhhh I have never seen one before. So do I need to plug one end into my router and then look into the cat6A cable? xD 

No, you need to terminate it into a patch panel and then look at the ports.

Don't even ask what travels over fiber.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Found it xD 

If your headphones sounds good on other computers and you have tried a amp on your own pc to see if it was a power problem, but the sound is still bad then you have a bad onboard dac.

Well I wrote this like it's yourself that decides if the sound is good or bad. I dont really care if I think something is bad, if the person who owns the headphones thinks that their headphones sound better on their own pc, they should not care if the headphones doesnt sound like they do when they are paired with a transparent amp and dac if they like the sound they get better than the one from the transparrent pair.

What you say may be true for one observer.  But that is no guarantee it will remain true for the next observer.

Beyond that, you are bordering on gibberish.  Because 'transparent' is equally subjective. 

If you want to talk about THD (or any other measurable/detectable distortion of playback) then say THD or distortion.

Just now, ThomasD said:

What you say may be true for one observer.  But that is no guarantee it will remain true for the next observer.

Beyond that, you are bordering on gibberish.  Because 'transparent' is equally subjective. 

If you want to talk about THD (or any other measurable/detectable distortion of playback) then say THD or distortion.

I call things the industry calls transparent and what most people call transparent for transparrent. Sound is really objetive that is why most of the things I talk about, I write it in such a way that it depends on peoples opinions. People are suposted to read my post and see if some of the for and against things are something they want. It's not like: If you have colored sound you need to change to a transparent dac and amp. I made that post so people could get an idea about what amps and dacs do and if they need one while keeping things to a basic lvl so most people can understand it.

I am not normal when it comes to sound my self. I have hyperacusis and my hearing goes up to about 30 kHz. What a "normal" human hear as 85dB the doctors told me that I hear it as 110-115 dB and all of this comes with the price, so I am also born with tinnitus.