Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Murdy007

Budget Gaming PC for my Sister

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

What's with the expletives? Does it feel like I'm insulting you? I'm just trying to tell you something about power supplies that I've learned through a hell of a lot of research.

If you're going to leave in a fit of exasperation and tell me 'I win', then consider this- keep your opinions about power supplies to yourself, seeing as they contradict hard facts. Don't tell people that all 5002+ 80+ power supplies are created equal, because it has been demonstrated that they aren't. An uneducated purchase is foolhardy, but an uneducated recommendation is unforgivable.

okay you win mate

Just now, Seminole said:

okay you win mate

It isn't a fight, and there really isn't any reason to interpret it as such. I'm not trying to 'win' or 'lose'. You'd do well to stop thinking about it that way.

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

Posted · Original PosterOP

1 hour ago, Murdy007 said:

So from the reviews I might change PSUs to a Seasonic or something. What do you think about the GPU and what are your guys thoughts on the SSD/SSHD situation? Also should a better cooler than the Intel stock cooler be factored in. If I go with the stock cooler, I do have some noctua thermal paste which I could use.

This thread seems to be going off-topic very quickly. Thankyou for the help about PSUs. It helps :)

I have changed the parts list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($277.00 @ Amazon incl.post w/currency converted) 

CPU Cooler: the hairdryer that comes with it.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($101.20 @ PB Technologies) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($40.00 @ From my friend who has it spare) 
Storage: Seagate  1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($113.85 @ PB Technologies) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($218.40 @ Amazon incl.post w/currency converted) 
Case: (Possibly Changing to Antec P50) Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.00 @ TailorMade Computers) 
Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 520W Evo  ($121.18 @ TechWorld) 

Case Lights: Aurora LED Strip Light Blue ($14.95 @ PB Technologies)
Total: $981.60

Also, Aereldor, why did you put a radeon in your list?

So this is build option 1 and I took into account the currency difference newegg will ship to your area. This build is compatible with the cases you spoke about above^, And it will work with your ram from your buddy. I just threw in a small mid size atx tower that has a window. I tried looking for a micro atx with a window but the only good one available to your country is out of stock.. :/ The total is below budget I think? NZ$996.00  

Linus tech build.xps Option 1 Amd build with Nvidia GPU GTX 960 4Gb Card(YES THIS GPU WILL FIT JUST FINE IN ANY CASE micro,mini, atx etc.) Amd FX 6300K 6 core CPU. etc.. (Includes SSD 120GB AND 1TB HDD 7200RPM)

Spoiler

This build should handle like 1440P, 1080P, at 60fps or better. The power supply is good enough that you should be able to get it to 4Ghz or even 4.4ghz with little to some effort. Asrock is really easy to OC. 

Updated Price NZ$1051

Included price with you LED strips nz$15? and ram nz$40 If you go with one of the cases you listed above you could save a little.. But personally I'd just get the window case I listed if you plan on doing lighting. It will look pretty nice with the color scheme i chose for you on the hardware components. :)

8 hours ago, Seminole said:

I could care less for failure rates. Is there even a solid study on PSU failure rates? Or is it just hearsay?

Failure rates aren't really the thing more so as return rates. The return rates for PSUs still under warranty like the CX series are probably not going to be released by Corsair anytime soon. That said, what sort of statement are you trying to make buying from a certain brand of PSU if people are telling you not to buy said PSU?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

10 hours ago, Aereldor said:

It isn't that difficult if you read the post before your third reply.

At this point, you've replicated the build I suggested exactly, only with an absolutely terrible power supply in place of the Seasonic unit I used.

The VS series is worse than the dreaded CX series. Here's what they say about the CX series.

What's so terrible about it? Poor thermal and electrical performance, cheap capacitors and bridge rectifiers, sloppy workmanship with downright dangerous soldering, higher-than-normal failure rates, and poor ambient temperature tolerance. A power supply failure can take out your entire computer- which is why a power supply with a high failure rate is the worst thing you can put into a PC, second only to a jellyfish.

For further reference, stick to this-

So you're telling me you copyrighted your build, and no one can suggest the same?

Just because someone made a YouTube video showing the CX series recommended and after that some burnt motherboard doesn't mean the CX series is bad, neither the VS series. In fact, it doesn't prove anything.

Dreaded CX series? Are you paranoid or what? There are NUMEROUS 5 star reviews on Newegg. Are they all lying?

How about an actual test and review? http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/corsair-vs450-review/

You are one of those who are completely paranoid, and/or are completely misinformed about how Power Supply works. I've encountered countless members here who would go nowhere below a 750W Gold PSU for any gaming builds, and would have a heart attack if you recommend them an EVGA Power supply. On that note, what is your explanation about my brother's HX650 dying (Maximum load was under 400W)? It's literally the second most expensive tier of PSUs then, and still we had to RMA it.

Or are you telling me any power supply me or my brother picks is bound to be defective?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

6 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

So you're telling me you copyrighted your build, and no one can suggest the same?

Just because someone made a YouTube video showing the CX series recommended and after that some burnt motherboard doesn't mean the CX series is bad, neither the VS series. In fact, it doesn't prove anything.

Dreaded CX series? Are you paranoid or what? There are NUMEROUS 5 star reviews on Newegg. Are they all lying?

How about an actual test and review? http://www.hardwareinsights.com/wp/corsair-vs450-review/

You are one of those who are completely paranoid, and/or are completely misinformed about how Power Supply works. I've encountered countless members here who would go nowhere below a 750W Gold PSU for any gaming builds, and would have a heart attack if you recommend them an EVGA Power supply. On that note, what is your explanation about my brother's HX650 dying (Maximum load was under 400W)? It's literally the second most expensive tier of PSUs then, and still we had to RMA it.

Or are you telling me any power supply me or my brother picks is bound to be defective?

I said the build you eventually recommended was futile, as your build didn't provide an alternative for OP to choose. Still, I'm not here to tell you what to do.

The Corsair CX and EVGA KR series are very popular, and are often the first power supplies first-time builders buy, which is why they receive such high user acclaim. However, out of the thousands of units sold, they have been known to fail, and are by-and-large not recommended for high-end builds with single, powerful components like Graphics Cards that stress heavily upon the 12v rail (which is why single-12v rail power supplies at lower wattages are ideal, and benefit from higher-quality components with better thermal tolerance on the 12v rail). Certainly, they've been tested once, but if you keep hearing bad things about a power supply- even if many of them are rumours or paranoia- something's probably up.

On the other hand, your experience with the HX 650 has a sample size of one, which really is more annoying than it is interesting. I never said top-end power supplies never fail- hell, even Seasonic units fail every now and then. However, I can almost guarantee that the sale-to-return rate is far lower with the HX series than it is with the CX series, although as @STRMfrmXMN said, companies aren't likely to release those return rates anytime soon- honesty hurts sales, particularly in these cases.

It's true that quality control has improved at the lower-end, with affordable power supplies being better than the bundled junk units of yesteryear. Fine, call it large-scale paranoia, but I'd be much more comfortable buying a power supply model with higher-quality components and workmanship and a lower failure rate upon testing. I'd also be inclined to trust a brand like SeaSonic or Super Flower, as they're known for this. 

Unlike a lot of people, I'm just not comfortable with the idea of a component failure when it poses the risk of taking the rest of my computer with it. The extra $20 from a Corsair CX unit to an Antec Earthwatts Green, a Seasonic S12/SSP-RT, or XFX TS power supply provides assurance of greater reliability at little added cost. 

I'm a frugal bastard who haggles for twenty minutes to purchase a pair of trousers- I'd like nothing more than to save a few bucks on a build. However, as I've mentioned, even someone as frugal as me has my reasons not to underspend on a power supply when the compromise is an added risk of failure. If the failure was isolated, sure, I wouldn't care nearly as much. When the failure can, potentially, take out a $50 motherboard, $100 CPU and a $150 Graphics Card? I'm not quite as comfortable.

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I said the build you eventually recommended was futile, as your build didn't provide an alternative for OP to choose. Still, I'm not here to tell you what to do.

I'm not here to provide alternatives for your recommendation. If anything, you're sounding like an arse, trying to downplay others similar recommendations. You ARE telling people what to do.

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

The Corsair CX and EVGA KR series are very popular, and are often the first power supplies first-time builders buy, which is why they receive such high user acclaim. However, out of the thousands of units sold, they have been known to fail, and are by-and-large not recommended for high-end builds with single, powerful components like Graphics Cards that stress heavily upon the 12v rail (which is why single-12v rail power supplies at lower wattages are ideal, and benefit from higher-quality components with better thermal tolerance on the 12v rail). Certainly, they've been tested once, but if you keep hearing bad things about a power supply- even if many of them are rumours or paranoia- something's probably up.

This is not a high end build, nor will it put nearly enough pressure to stress the PSU. Neither does it require extremely stable power delivery to break an overclocking record. You're relying on other peoples' anecdotes at this point.

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

On the other hand, your experience with the HX 650 has a sample size of one, which really is more annoying than it is interesting. I never said top-end power supplies never fail- hell, even Seasonic units fail every now and then. However, I can almost guarantee that the sale-to-return rate is far lower with the HX series than it is with the CX series, although as @STRMfrmXMN said, companies aren't likely to release those return rates anytime soon- honesty hurts sales, particularly in these cases.

And you conveniently ignore my anecdote. Even more, you ignore the countless other reviews saying the PSU is good. And also the negative top rated reviews on Corsair's low end PSUs, where none of them mention the failed PSU took out any of their other components.

All PSUs fail, it's not something only happens to low-end PSUs. In fact, most PSUs either outright fail, or fail at around 6 months, or keeps working for a long time. And when they fail, they generally don't pick out other components with them. When my brother's HX650 failed, it didn't take out any other components in his PC. It's a budget build stated by OP, and I'm recommending a PSU that fits his category appropriately. Rock solid stability is not required for him, and he's already in an extreme budget. With your logic, you'll ignore almost every low end PSUs that does the job well and is not built for extreme stability. That is completely illogical. You could go with even worse no-brand PSUs, but I'm not recommending one of those. At least Corsair's PSUs have a 3 year warranty.

But if you're adamant, then I'd say pick the CS or CX series PSUs. They have good ratings from JonnyGURU. Anything above that, and not only you're wasting too much money on a PSU, but you'll get no benefit from its extra features.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

2 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

I'm not here to provide alternatives for your recommendation. If anything, you're sounding like an arse, trying to downplay others similar recommendations. You ARE telling people what to do.

There's a difference between criticism and slander. What do I stand to gain by putting people's recommendations down? Nothing. But by expressing criticism of parts they chose, I can encourage discussion. In the event that I'm proven wrong, I learn something and I can incorporate it into future build recommendations. If I'm proven correct, someone else can do the same. If you prove that the Corsair CX or EVGA KR power supplies are as reliable as need be, hence presenting better value, I'd be inclined to recommend them to future builders- I don't consider myself above that. 

4 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

All PSUs fail, it's not something only happens to low-end PSUs. In fact, most PSUs either outright fail, or fail at around 6 months, or keeps working for a long time. And when they fail, they generally don't pick out other components with them. When my brother's HX650 failed, it didn't take out any other components in his PC. It's a budget build stated by OP, and I'm recommending a PSU that fits his category appropriately. Rock solid stability is not required for him, and he's already in an extreme budget. With your logic, you'll ignore almost every low end PSUs that does the job well and is not built for extreme stability. That is completely illogical. You could go with even worse no-brand PSUs, but I'm not recommending one of those. At least Corsair's PSUs have a 3 year warranty.

All power supplies fail, but low-end units are more susceptible to failure, and that failure is something I'm not particularly comfortable with. The other point I was trying to make is that there are options that don't cost more. In my opinion, shelling out an extra $20 for better reliability is worth it. At the end of the day, it's still my opinion, and while I'll defend it, you're free to disagree with it. True enough, OP doesn't need rock-solid stability, but when you only have to pay a little bit more to get it, why not? I'd rather a small risk be as minuscule as possible, especially when I've spent a significant amount of money on a build. And since I've already spent a significant amount on said build, I'd be more than happy to pay a small amount more for a more reliable power supply that ensures the risk of blowing everything in the case is as low as can be. 

For all we've said, you don't see me recommending Seasonic 80+ Platinum 1600W units, do you? The SSR-PT and S12 series I mentioned are their value-oriented line, and aren't too much more expensive than the CX series. In fact, they're probably cheaper than the CS series. However, they still have high-quality Japanese capacitors with better thermal tolerance, high-quality workmanship to ensure good heat dissipation and eliminating circuit risks caused by sloppy soldering, and better quality control even at the low-end. The nickname 'SafeSonic' isn't born from the adoring cries of a million fresh-faced fanboys or a placebo effect- if Seasonic power supplies failures were more than isolated cases, people would no longer use that nickname or hold up their reputation as untarnished. That was why the terrible 'Hydrance by Seasonic' were a bit of a surprise when they were found to be assembled with Fevicol.

6 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

But if you're adamant, then I'd say pick the CS or CX series PSUs. They have good ratings from JonnyGURU. Anything above that, and not only you're wasting too much money on a PSU, but you'll get no benefit from its extra features.

I'd be interested in seeing stress-tests of multiple models from the Corsair CX series, should you have a link to a collection of observations. I stand by the CS series, and there's no dispute that they're quite adequate.

16 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

And you conveniently ignore my anecdote. Even more, you ignore the countless other reviews saying the PSU is good. And also the negative top rated reviews on Corsair's low end PSUs, where none of them mention the failed PSU took out any of their other components.

Look, I'm sorry about your power supply, but if the HX series were prone to failure on a larger scale, they wouldn't be so highly recommended anymore. PC hardware enthusiasts aren't all highly partial buffoons, and while not being nearly as experienced or knowledgeable than many of them, I still trust in their judgement.

ALIENWARE 13R3

Aereldor

Shahnewaz

STRMfrmXMN

Stop posting stupid replies between each other on a forum post. This guy is asking for assistance and all you are doing is filling his thread with pointless posts that don't help him at all! If you want to chat go into general discussion forum area. If your next post isn't anything of use to this guy I will be filing a report with all of your names on it. 

(this is your only warning I will formally file a complaint.)

Skipping meals for a week, to buy better cpu cooler is also a hair dryer when fan control is turned off.

@kfarris

Report then report. Stop being a mini mod.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, kfarris said:

Aereldor

Shahnewaz

STRMfrmXMN

Stop posting stupid replies between each other on a forum post. This guy is asking for assistance and all you are doing is filling his thread with pointless posts that don't help him at all! If you want to chat go into general discussion forum area. If your next post isn't anything of use to this guy I will be filing a report with all of your names on it. 

(this is your only warning I will formally file a complaint.)

Do what you feel is right, but @STRMfrmXMN only made one post, and that was because I tagged him in the previous one. Leave him out of it.

Furthermore, if you read through our posts, you'll find that they're a debate on whether or not the extra premium for a more reliable power supply is worth it, and whether the improvement is as great as I think it is. Frankly, I think anyone could benefit from reading it, as both @Shahnewaz and I made some really good points for and against both of our cases. If OP has the time to read through them, he'll be able to decide between investing more in reliability or performance, as well as consider power supply models like the EVGA B1/B2/KR series, Corsair CS and CX series, the Seasonic S12 and SSP-RT series, and XFX TS series power supplies.

Report whoever you want.

ALIENWARE 13R3

2 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

This is not a high end build, nor will it put nearly enough pressure to stress the PSU. Neither does it require extremely stable power delivery to break an overclocking record. You're relying on other peoples' anecdotes at this point.

Let's get one thing out of the way: user reviews for PSUs mean literally nothing. Look how many good reviews you can find for terrible low-end Sentey units. People literally take them out of the box, plug them in, find they work, and write a review saying it's great. Also, anecdotal evidence is anecdotal in the extreme. Anecdotal evidence becomes real evidence when it's collected empirically, thus the term "empirical evidence" - the only form of true evidence, is what we should be looking at here and obviously there isn't a lot on a good unit like the HX. Also, aforementioned PSU RMA rates are very unlikely to be posted anytime soon by Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic, and the like as that would hurt profits. Maybe they'll do something cool like this in the future, who knows.

Jonnyguru also grades PSUs based on value which is why the CX series does well by his standards. Looking at reviews from other reviewers you can see that the CX fails voltage regulation tests left and right. Newer units are better (revision 3 and all of them ending with "M") but often you can find new PSUs on, say, Amazon, grouped in with older revisions so you never know which version you're gonna get. But ya know what? Both of you can stop fighting cuz honestly a CX-series is fine with a GTX 950 like OP put in his/her system and would be still fine for an equivalent AMD card. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

-snip-

The configuration I suggested has a Core i5 4460 and an R9 380 (rather than a more efficient GTX 950), with a load TDP of about 375W, which is why I went up to a Seasonic SSP-RT 450. Do you think a CX 430 will cut it for that build?

ALIENWARE 13R3

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

The configuration I suggested has a Core i5 4460 and an R9 380 (rather than a more efficient GTX 950), with a load TDP of about 375W, which is why I went up to a Seasonic SSP-RT 450. Do you think a CX 430 will cut it for that build?

Wait, can you post a PCPP link to the one you suggested OP get?

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Wait, can you post a PCPP link to the one you suggested OP get?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Motherboard: Asus H81M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($112.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($85.00 @ PC Force) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($367.63 @ PC Force) 
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($146.50 @ Ascent Technology) 
Total: $1105.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-12 12:11 NZST+1200

I forwent the RAM as he said he's getting a 2x4GB kit of DDR3 memory from a friend. Also, I'm not sure if those numbers on the 380 check out, and that it might be closer to 200w or more, rather than 190.

ALIENWARE 13R3

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Motherboard: Asus H81M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($112.00 @ Paradigm PCs) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($85.00 @ PC Force) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($367.63 @ PC Force) 
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.00 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($146.50 @ Ascent Technology) 
Total: $1105.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-12 12:11 NZST+1200

I forwent the RAM as he said he's getting a 2x4GB kit of DDR3 memory from a friend. Also, I'm not sure if those numbers on the 380 check out, and that it might be closer to 200w or more, rather than 190.

Gotcha. That's probably what I would suggest to OP, bar the HDD - I would always prefer to have the SSD to install Windows on and just not install games until I can afford a hard drive to stick them all on, rather than getting an SSD later and have to reinstall Windows or do a messy cloning operation.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Gotcha. That's probably what I would suggest to OP, bar the HDD - I would always prefer to have the SSD to install Windows on and just not install games until I can afford a hard drive to stick them all on, rather than getting an SSD later and have to reinstall Windows or do a messy cloning operation.

That's... A very good call. I've been doing that with 240GB SSDs for a while like the A-Data SP-550 or the PNY CS-1311; I don't know why I went with a 1TB HDD instead.

ALIENWARE 13R3

Thanks for the parts lists. From Amazon I can get a gtx 960 for $295 NZD. Do you think that would be better than the 380? Just trying to keep the price as low as possible.

What do you guys think of this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($277.00 @ Amazon NZ) 

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($92.21 @ Newegg NZ) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($35.00 @ From Friend) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.50 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($293.76 @ Amazon NZ) 
Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.00 @ Tailormade) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($121.18) 
Total: $1067.65

4 hours ago, Murdy007 said:

What do you guys think of this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($277.00 @ Amazon NZ) 

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($92.21 @ Newegg NZ) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($35.00 @ From Friend) 
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($68.50 @ 1stWave Technologies) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($293.76 @ Amazon NZ) 
Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.00 @ Tailormade) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($121.18) 
Total: $1067.65

looks good, but change the v300 to another ssd, the v300 has bad performance compared to its competitors. if its the same price, go for an r9 380/280 instead, both perform better for a similar price.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Thanks for that. I have changed the SSD to a different one which is meant to be faster. The WD Green I found sitting around not doing anything so that can go in there as the HDD and I have upgraded the SSD so that more programs can go on there and the documents on the HDD. I looked at reviews of the amd card on amazon and many were unhappy and said the card was doa and also had trouble with the drivers. I looked at speed tests and the r9 was faster, but I would hate to have a gpu that only lasted 5 minutes. The 960 also had a couple bad reviews saying it died, but the manufacturer did reply and offer support and offered to replace the card. Does anyone here have any bad experiences with radeon cards? The list is looking better but again, anything that you think needs doing?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($277.00) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($111.00) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($35.00) 
Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($113.85 @ PB Technologies) 
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($0.00) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card  ($293.76) 
Case: Antec P50 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($107.00) 
Other: Aurora Blue LED Strip ($14.95)
Total: $1073.74

4 hours ago, Murdy007 said:

The list is looking better but again, anything that you think needs doing?

Storage: OCZ TRION 150 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($113.85 @ PB Technologies) 

looks fine, no worries.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I installed a CX600 PSU into my parent's computer. 5 years and psu is still running great. As long as it's not being overclocked or pushed to the extreme edge, the psu will be fine.

@Murdy007

I'm currently still running on a AMD Radeon HD5850. The card is around 7 years old. So far not a single crash, except for the time when I upgrade to Windows 10 and AMD haven't released the newer drivers yet. During that time, it would occasionally give me a "driver has stop responding" message when I'm browsing the websites that has lots of flash and with many tabs opened, but running games doesn't do that.  When AMD finally release their new drivers, my card stop having that error message.

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($197.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($118.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.52 @ Aquila Technology)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($85.00 @ PC Force)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 370 2GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card  ($241.53 @ PC Force)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($145.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full (32/64-bit)  ($163.80 @ Aquila Technology)
Total: $1109.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 05:01 NZST+1200

She plays Minecraft, don't see the point of spending more for a Core i5, when a Core i3 having 4 threads is almost like a quad core. I picked Asus is for their extremely easy to use bios interface, a single 8GB with room to ugprade to 16GB later on. A HDD so less hassle with managing files between SSD and HDD.  R7 370, plenty of gpu power to run MInecraft. Corsair newest case with side panel window, 550w power supply, and Win10.

Without Win10

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($197.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($118.00 @ Paradigm PCs)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.52 @ Aquila Technology)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($85.00 @ PC Force)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 370 2GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card  ($241.53 @ PC Force)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($95.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($145.00 @ 1stWave Technologies)
Total: $946.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-14 05:02 NZST+1200

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 hours ago, Murdy007 said:

Thanks for that. I have changed the SSD to a different one which is meant to be faster. The WD Green I found sitting around not doing anything so that can go in there as the HDD and I have upgraded the SSD so that more programs can go on there and the documents on the HDD. I looked at reviews of the amd card on amazon and many were unhappy and said the card was doa and also had trouble with the drivers. I looked at speed tests and the r9 was faster, but I would hate to have a gpu that only lasted 5 minutes. The 960 also had a couple bad reviews saying it died, but the manufacturer did reply and offer support and offered to replace the card. Does anyone here have any bad experiences with radeon cards? The list is looking better but again, anything that you think needs doing?

I don't believe the GPU is as bad as you describe it at all. My brother has the infamous R9 290X with the blower style cooler, bought about a year ago. Even with the loud cooler, the card ran very well.

I also had a Radeon HD4550 that still lives to this day. Good times with that card, I even managed a 100MHz overclock with a $50 card. :^)

If it only lasts 5 minutes, then you can immediately RMA it. Buy Sapphire brand GPUs, they are a very reliable brand. :)