Help me pick my next phone!

Cacao

Hey guys, I'm currently in the market for a new phone, I can afford any of the flagship phones, I just really don't know what to get.

Here's some info:

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, which was an upgrade from my Note 1. I'm a huge fan of the series, but the Note 3 hasn't really impressed me and I kind of want to try something new. Though it's definitely still an option and will probably be what I go with if I really can't make up my mind. I'm sure some will tell me to stick with my Note 2, the reason I want to upgrade is because I'm having some hardware issues that are pretty pretty annoying to deal with, plus I really want something new.

Here's what I use my phone for: Internet browsing, watching youtube videos (this is probably my main activity on my phone and I do it for hours everyday), gaming and obviously communicating.

I need a big display (5+ ") for my usage and since I'm used to the note series. Also battery life is a big factor, I don't need it to last multiple days, like the Note phones, but it needs to get through a full day of heavy use. 

Also I like to customize my phone, so I will definitely be rooting and possibly installing custom ROMs.

My main candidates are in the poll, feel free to suggest another phone if you have a better idea.

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks.

EDIT: Also I wanted to add: do you guys think it would be a wise choice to buy something like an S4 or HTC One now? The HTC One in particular is very appealing to me, though I'm afraid that it will get replaced by something better within a few months, since it's already 6 months into it's life cycle.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

A new phone is entirely personal preference. Nobody here can tell you what phone will be best to you.

A new phone is entirely personal preference. Nobody here can tell you what phone will be best to you.

Obviously, but people can still voice their opinions. I have no experience with any of these phones, however some probably do and I would very much value their input.

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

I got my S4 a few weeks ago with an Orange Young Galaxy Sub [65.-/mt -> Free calls, free sms, 3gb 4g inet 12mt free spotify (not even using it :D]. for about 149.- CHF. Really love the phone. Awesome screen, nice battery life [charging it every 2 days - medium use] and very very snappy.

I'd go for the S4 if I was you ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I got my S4 a few weeks ago with an Orange Young Galaxy Sub [65.-/mt -> Free calls, free sms, 3gb 4g inet 12mt free spotify (not even using it :D]. for about 149.- CHF. Really love the phone. Awesome screen, nice battery life [charging it every 2 days - medium use] and very very snappy.

I'd go for the S4 if I was you ^^

I currently have this M plan with swisscom:

b5343d5581d97d4e0fffdbae3ab1bbe5.png

I really need the unlimited internet, I use a LOT of data, though I will probably be looking into a 4g plan with the newer phones. Unfortunately 4g is still kind of crap down here :P

Thanks for your input!

HTC One awsome build quality makes you feel rich  B)

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

I currently have this M plan with swisscom:

b5343d5581d97d4e0fffdbae3ab1bbe5.png

I really need the unlimited internet, I use a LOT of data, though I will probably be looking into a 4g plan with the newer phones. Unfortunately 4g is still kind of crap down here :P

Thanks for your input!

7.2mbit is 3g inet's max speed.

Swisscom is way overpriced. Was switching from Sunrise, and had to chose between Swisscom and Orange. And they actually sell you different speed levels of mobile inet. fuckers ^^ While on Orange they give every subs the same 4G inet. ^^

Ya 4G. Only get it if I'm at university. Lucky to get any signal at home. That's why I switched, seems Orange has much better signal where I live. [Provider changes in a few weeks] ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

7.2mbit is 3g inet's max speed.

Swisscom is way overpriced. Was switching from Sunrise, and had to chose between Swisscom and Orange. And they actually sell you different speed levels of mobile inet. fuckers ^^ While on Orange they give every subs the same 4G inet. ^^

I know the prices are crazy, but at least I'm getting what I pay for. Whenever I have an HSPA + connection, I will ALWAYS have 7/1mbit. However I will definitely look into my options now that I'll want a 4g plan. Swisscom is my main choice because that's the most wide spread in Ticino and my whole family is on Swisscom plans. 

Only get it if I'm at university. Lucky to get any signal at home. That's why I switched, seems Orange has much better signal where I live. [Provider changes in a few weeks] ^^

Haha, same for me! I need to go in the garden to make a call at home :D While I get an awesome signal at school.

Im waiting on the Nexus 5 or whatever their calling it. while thats in your list of options, might as well wait until it is release. That's what im waiting I dont care about anything else.

I dream of 0s and 1s folding to my every command,

algorithms seeping from the back of my head when I need them.

the note 3's ability to record in 4k doesn't impress you? I'd be getting that if i could, the nexus 5 would be my 2nd option.

Note 3 according to your use scenario. Wait for the Nexus 5 though.

Choosing an adroid is all about choosing your favourite skin. Do you like TouchWiz? Could you imagine to use HTC Sense? I personally hate all of them, that's why I've got a Nexus 4.

who cares...

Although I have the HTC One and love it, I'd wait to see what the Nexus 5 has on offer. (Snapdragon 800 or overclocked Tegra 4 please)

HTC - Design

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Performance

Galaxy S4 - Display (debatable) 

LG Optimus G Pro - just no.

Nexus 5 - Pure android, cheap. 

Excluding the nexus 5, I personally love my HTC One. It's design feels so solid and premium. Yes it doesn't have the best specs, but for me it feels lighting fast, and the premium body makes it worth it. HTC Sense 5 also feels nicely understated, compared with Samsungs Touchwiz which feels a little over done and "cartoony".

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

the note 3's ability to record in 4k doesn't impress you? I'd be getting that if i could, the nexus 5 would be my 2nd option.

Yeah...because that's useful to about 0.1% of people at the moment. There's no way to share that content, never mind barely anyone having the means to watch it. For now, it's a gimmick. Two or Three years down the road it may start to matter more, but for now...meh.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

With regards to your edited comment, OP, are you referring to when HTC released the HTC One X+? It's a good point to consider, but I haven't read anything about an upgraded HTC One. I wouldn't rule it out, though.

With HTC, you're getting premium build quality but you'll be sacrificing a microSD card slot and removable battery. Personally, I haven't even come close to using the 32gb on my phone, but if you require a lot of storage, it's certainly a point to consider. Again, as you've been used to Samsung phones, the removable battery may also be important to you.

I'd definitely wait until Google announce the Nexus 5 before deciding. It will ship with Android 4.4 and the specs will be right up there with the phones you've listed. I'd also expect it to be a lot cheaper than HTC or Samsung's flagships.

CM 690 II Lite | Crucial M4 128GB | 3TB Seagate Barracuda Intel i5 2500k @ stock | Sapphire HD 7950 3GB Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Corsair TX650 V2 

Windows 8 Professional 64bit 

Yeah...because that's useful to about 0.1% of people at the moment. There's no way to share that content, never mind barely anyone having the means to watch it. For now, it's a gimmick. Two or Three years down the road it may start to matter more, but for now...meh.

cause everybody buys a phone with the intent to replace it in a few years anyway?

I'd rather get one I could use 5 years later and have the camera be relevant