Facebook is spying on Oculus Rift Users

PCIsMasterRace

Source: http://www.techworm.net/2016/04/oculus-rift-vr-headset-software-sending-data-back-facebook-servers.html

A Reddit user, Woofington found out that an “always on” background service in Oculus Rift software sends information from the virtual reality headset back to Facebook’s servers.

Woofington writes on a reddit thread that after installing the Oculus Home software on the device, a process with full system permissions called OVRServer_x64.exe detects when the device is turned on and sends data to Facebook’s servers.

Users of the Oculus Rift have detected a background program in the Oculus Rift software which sends information to Facebook's servers.

In fact, the Oculus Rift privacy policy takes users consent to its terms and conditions which states that it can use the users data for third party use.

The privacy policy clearly states that “depending on how you access and use” its services, Facebook may collect information about the games, content, apps, and other experiences a user interacts with; a user’s IP address and “certain device identifiers that may be unique to your device”; a device’s precise location based on GPS signal, Wi-Fi networks and cellular towers; and information about a user’s “physical movements and dimensions” when the headset is used.

In the Oculus Rift's privacy policy, it states that information collected by the Oculus Rift, which may include the users physical movements while wearing the Oculus Rift and the users IP address, may be used by third parties.

(Also for those who don't already know, Facebook owns Oculus Rift.)

i thought this has been in the news for like a week or so...

pretty sure it's been covered on wan show, the tek, tech talk, and awesomesauce news already :/

I can't imagine what they could possibly want with a list of physical movements within a room and your IP, but I guess it's all part of the evil master plan.  As weird as it is, I can't say I'm surprised.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

this song, except they cant detect your breathing... yet `-`

They could use your mic tho ._.

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

1 minute ago, SQZY98 said:

They could use your mic tho ._.

oh lord no D:

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

The only reason this is so frustrating is that the Oculus Rift is ALSO $650. So Facebook is making a decent amount off the unit itself AND harvesting information from every unit? Yea I'm HTC Vive all the way now.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

4 minutes ago, Suika said:

I'm HTC Vive all the way now

the question is, who isnt? `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

10 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

this song, except they cant detect your breathing... yet `-`

Ever noticed how your videogame characters breathing doesn't match up to your own? Now with Oculus Respire™ Technology, you can! To enhance your immersion in the VR experience, now your breaths can have an affect on your gameplay! You know how you "hold your breath" to steady your rifle scope shooters? Now you can do that by literally holding your breath! 

Breath data is "anonomized" before it's sold to medical device companies.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

12 minutes ago, Suika said:

Yea I'm HTC Vive all the way now.

I was too. Then I saw the Canadian pricing and I was all "NOPE". At $1150 CAD, I'm gonna wait for gen 2... or 3.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

12 minutes ago, Suika said:

The only reason this is so frustrating is that the Oculus Rift is ALSO $650. So Facebook is making a decent amount off the unit itself AND harvesting information from every unit? Yea I'm HTC Vive all the way now.

Are they?  I can't remember which one it was (vive or rift) but I had heard that they were selling these things pretty close to cost as is (... and it is still expensive, but that's another story).  Is that true or not?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

ALERT: Paranoia Level at 235% and rising.

Warning! Paranoia approaching dangerous levels.

Please press any key to enable tin-foil hat protocol and activate all available privacy measures.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

It's Facebook, what the hell did you expect?

These kinds of terms and conditions should be made very illegal by law, and anybody breaking it gets their product(s) removed from stores and a massive fine that it must pay to all their users.

Ye ole' train

the steam fanboys are really going all out on Oculus, when you can't find real faults you just make them up , actually Oculus is "checking for updates" , but that doesn't stop the fanboys from lying .

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

oculus rift scraped off of my wish-list

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

It's Facebook, even if they're not at the moment (and it probably is too early in the products life to have this up and running now) they are all about making you share stuff with the whole internet, whether you want to or not, and crucially sharing your data with 'advertising partners'. It's their business model, I'd expect Google would do the same if they had a VR Headset out.

Then again MS backed off when it was revealed the XBone with kinect could potentially tell if you were in the room for forced commercial viewing, they quickly scrapped that idea in the face of the negative publicity. The Rift isn't free, far from it, so an expectation that it isn't harvesting as much data as it can, for sale to whoever want to give FB some cash, is not an unreasonable one. I expect FB will try to see what the market will stand, and that they will have to back off.

... Not even gonna bother including Oculus's response? 

If this was the Vive no one would care. But since it's big, evil facebook everyone's going crazy...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

46 minutes ago, niofalpha said:

....So are you not going to bother to elaborate by including Oculus' response?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

32 minutes ago, niofalpha said:

I can't find their response, and you did not include it either. Got a link?

Someone in the Reddit thread also pointed this out in the TOS:

Information Automatically Collected About You When You Use Our Services. We also collect information automatically when you use our Services. Depending on how you access and use our Services, we may collect information such as:

*Information about your interactions with our Services, like information about the games, content, apps or other experiences you interact with, and information collected in or through cookies, local storage, pixels, and similar technologies (additional information about these technologies is available at https://www.oculus.com/en-us/cookies-pixels-and-other-technologies/);

Wait, cookies and pixels? That sounds weird. Let's check it out:

We may use cookies or other local storage technologies in combination with other information we collect in order to enhance and personalize your experience on our Services, including:

• to help you log on to our Services;
  • to provide a shopping cart on our Services where you can make purchases;
  • to understand how people use our Services;
  • to protect against fraud; and
  • to deliver, understand and improve our marketing efforts.

So wait... If I buy an Oculus Rift they will use flash cookies to collect info about me and "improve their marketing efforts"? Oh and "understand how people use our Services" as well. Yeah.. That's bullshit and does not belong on a virtual reality headset. But what are these pixels they referred to?

Pixels are small pieces of code on webpages that do things like allow another server to measure viewing of a webpage and often are used in connection with cookies.

Oh, so it allows Facebook to track you when you browse the Internet. I'm sorry if I am stupid, but I don't see why Oculus want to see which web pages I look at, or how that will improve my VR experience when I for example play games.

I would not raise my pitchfork just yet though. I don't have a Rift so I can't analyze the connection, and I did not see anyone in the Reddit thread doing it either, so maybe it is harmless data? I very much doubt it, but I like having evidence when I call a company terrible and evil.

Side note: Reading this thread right now is pretty funny. So many people blindly trusting Palmer and Zuckerberg.

54 minutes ago, Suika said:

....So are you not going to bother to elaborate by including Oculus' response?

32 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I can't find their response, and you did not include it either. Got a link?

I'm sorry, I expected people to have the ability to use a google search, and I didn't feel like doing the OP's work for him.

“Facebook owns Oculus and helps run some Oculus services, such as elements of our infrastructure,” Oculus told UploadVR in an email, “but we’re not sharing information with Facebook at this time. We don’t have advertising yet and Facebook is not using Oculus data for advertising .”

http://uploadvr.com/oculus-responds-to-facebook-privacy-concerns/

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

14 minutes ago, niofalpha said:

That response is absolute garbage.

I like the "at this time" part, which implies that they will in the future. Same with "don't have advertising yet", but they may consider it in the future.

It is also worth noting that the email does not specify at all what data they are collecting. It gives an example of what they collect, but that might be one out of 100 things they collect.

The only thing that email says is:

1) They are considering sharing data with Facebook.

2) They are collecting data, and won't tell us exactly what or why.

3) They may implement ads in the future.

If that email was meant to calm me down then it failed miserably. In fact, it had the opposite effect because all I see is a really carefully worded email which is deliberately crafted in a way that makes it possible for them to do all the things people fear they might do. The email does not even rule out the possibility that Oculus are gathering information they will use for ads. It only says they aren't showing ads right now, which everyone already knew.