1440p dual monitor query

I recently purchased two 1440p monitors Asus VX24AH, these monitors have 2x HDMI and 1x VGA. My Graphics card (EVGA SC 980ti) has 1x HDMI, 3x DP and 1x DVI-I port. I currently am using a HDMI to my main monitor at 1440p resolution no problem at all. But my second monitor is a DP>HDMI from my old 1080p monitor and wont go any higher than 1080p.

I Tried HDMI on my mobo (MSI gaming 5) to the second monitor but it didnt register at all. I have also tried a VGA (from monitor) with a DVI adapter to my 980ti, it registered the monitor and gave me 1920 x 1200 max, i tried to create a custom resolution of 2560 x 1440 but it didnt work as the monitor stuck at 1920 x 1200 (checked manually on the monitor).

Am i fucked and stuck with a second 1440p monitor at 1080p? or did i use a old rubbish adaptor?

I have seen a DVI-I to VGA in 1 cable on amazon, but will it give me the same results and not give 1440p?

I looked on the guide to Cable variations etc but wasnt sure still & PC help ppl in store are useless. Plz help!