[Update] w/ 360 video [Mini News] Space X, Falcon 9 Rocket Lands on Water Barge

Agent181

Spacex.com

So in small mini news the Space X  Falcon 9 Rocket has finally landed on Of Course I Still Love You aka the drone ship.

The robotic ships that serve as landing platforms for SpaceX rockets now have names that honor legendary sci-fi author Iain M. Banks.

Late last month, SpaceX's billionaire founder and CEO Elon Musk announced that he had named the company's first spaceport drone ship "Just Read the Instructions." The second autonomous boat, which is under construction, will be called "Of Course I Still Love You," Musk added.

"'Just Read the Instructions' and 'Of Course I Still Love You' are two of the sentient, planet-sized Culture starships which first appear in Banks' 'The Player of Games,'" Tor.com noted last month. "Just as the Minds inhabiting each Culture ship choose their names with care, you have to imagine that Musk did the same here.  - Mike Wall SpaceX.com

spacex-spaceport-drone-ship-name.jpg?int

Spoiler

a548a793efc58a8251cfea772bbdfd47.png

Video of landing here: 

Also landing on land(way easier than on water :P )

HE DID IT FINALLY :D too bad there wasn't another cool explosion like this one

UPDATE: 360 View of drone landing

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/29/spacex-releases-360-degree-video-of-its-falcon-9-rocket-landing-on-an-ocean-platform/

Edit: added better videos 4/8/2016 2:20 PM PST

UPDATE edit: new 360 video 4/30/2016 2:20AM PST

After so many almost-landings-that-resulted-in-explosions it's nice to see the booster standing on its legs being alive and well.

Ye ole' train

The future of cheap space travelling is closing in, hopefully in the next 30 years for less than 50,000€ well be able to travel in space or something. Im starting to love technology again XD, and hating how ill have to get a very high paying job to visit space before death comes :(

Groomlake Authority

The age of reusable rockets is finally upon us. What a time to be alive, huh?

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

The future of cheap space travelling is closing in, hopefully in the next 30 years for less than 50,000€ well be able to travel in space or something. Im starting to love technology again XD, and hating how ill have to get a very high paying job to visit space before death comes :(

not if elon has his ways... tesla, the hyperloop and paypal are all just his side projects with space x being his main focus just to get to Mars so probably the next step is going to the moon again which is definitely going to happen soon 

Just now, Agent181 said:

-snip-

Oh gosh, well okay. At least before 2040, i have high hopes :P

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Oh gosh, well okay. At least before 2040, i have high hopes :P

ehhh before then :D with the work a lot of us are doing it's expected around 2035 

5 minutes ago, AyeJayKay said:

imo, this is not mini news. It's a huge deal for mankind.

Not really, Warp drive is a huge deal, this is just a small step to sustainable space travel. 

Good job.  Woot! xD

'bout time. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The only reason i'm posting this is because Elon accidentally tweeted it and deleted the tweet in a span of 15 seconds. xD

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

55 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

The only reason i'm posting this is because Elon accidentally tweeted it and deleted the tweet in a span of 15 seconds. xD

LOL

8 hours ago, 226477_1454181668 said:

Not really, Warp drive is a huge deal, this is just a small step to sustainable space travel. 

Wrong. Every step towards, cheap, sustainable space travel is huge. It's only been a little over half a century that we've been able to go into space. Historically speaking, that is an incredibly short span of time. And now, within our life time, it is entirely possible that space travel will stop being only for astronauts and the super rich. We are sitting right on the cusp of completely changing our world. Just imagine it being possible for every to see our planet from space. To see just how life altering it is supposed to be, so really get a feel for our place in the universe. Warp drive is science fiction, this right here is real and it's happening.

If you look at the succesful landing and compare that to their previous try, it's just a massive difference.

No wiggle, no sign of unstability, just a very refined landing, amazing.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

If you look at the succesful landing and compare that to their previous try, it's just a massive difference.

No wiggle, no sign of unstability, just a very refined landing, amazing.

The last landing attempt was totally different though. They went higher and came back with less propellant and at a totally different landing configuration (landing on 3 engines instead of 1). They already had the thing coming down smoothly with another attempt before that, but that failed just because of a non-latching landing leg.

Ye ole' train

This is just fantastic news. I look forward to seeing more landing attempts, as they refine the process. I also love the "I'm on a boat" video that Musk tweeted.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

• 3 weeks later...
On April 9, 2016 at 2:20 AM, AlexGoesHigh said:

WHYYY DELETE IT, this is gold!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide