NVIDIA Demonstrates Experimental “Zero Latency” Display Running at 1,700Hz

ahhming
19 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Actually, the fact that humans can see lightning strikes proves that we can perceive the equivalent of at least 800hz.

...(god dam blank space)...

:D

Yes, but if a game ever reaches that kind of fps, the devs should really consider improving their graphics. As for video playback, good luck maintaining the amount of space it takes up and/or the visual fidelity.

2 hours ago, DXMember said:

if you want to talk what's physically impossible then "zero latency" itself is physically impossible regardless of what sentence the phrase is used in

Not necessarily - Take Quantum Entanglement for example. You entangle two particles, and when you affect one, the other is affected too. This, could hypothetically, be happening in actual zero latency. Now, I don't think that's been confirmed yet, one way or the other, though.

57 minutes ago, DXMember said:

physics is about observing the physical world, we are the observers, we have inherently wired latency in our mechanism of observing.

it's not about what's possible for quantum particles to achieve, it's about what's possible for us to observe and interact with

P.S. topic is about displays

I think that kind of answer is a cop-out. You're saying that the limitations of the human body (eg: The inherent latency in light reaching our eyes, our eyes processing the light into chemical data, sending it to our brains, and then our brains processing and interpreting said data) will dictate what is and is not in the universe.

Something could possibly be true zero latency, despite our physical ability to perceive such a phenomenon.

34 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Actually, the fact that humans can see lightning strikes proves that we can perceive the equivalent of at least 800hz.

-spacing snip-

:D

A single frame, yes. But our eyes don't make out the entire strike, we see but a brief portion of the strike. I think that distinction is important. Also, the intensity and brightness of a lightning strike probably also has something to do with our ability to perceive them more easily then, say, a single frame with hidden text in a movie.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Didn't know lightning was AC :ph34r:

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

32 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Didn't know lightning was AC :ph34r:

its not. It is a high voltage high amp static DC charge. The Earth is the negative, the clouds are the positive. Current flows from negative to positive trying to equalize. The strike itself only happens once the energy levels and voltage levels is high enough to start turning the air into plasma. When this happens, the resistance of the air molecules drops like a rock, allowing massive amounts of current to flow between the ground and the clouds.

The lightning we can "see" is the air turned into plasma, littlerally turning into the 4th state and burning

What's wrong with some of you guys? There's too many people confusing Hz and its multiples.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

7 hours ago, DocSwag said:

1700 hz? Too be honest, I don't give a crap about that. Why? Because it's pretty obvious that we can't see 1700 hz.

You've made a claim here with no source. Care to provide one? How is it obvious that we can't see 1700Hz? It's not obvious to me. Enlighten me.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

50 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Lol, display at 1700MHz... great.

Hz. Not MHz.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Heck yeah... I need to get rid of my dang 144hz 4k monitor....

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Not necessarily - Take Quantum Entanglement for example. You entangle two particles, and when you affect one, the other is affected too. This, could hypothetically, be happening in actual zero latency. Now, I don't think that's been confirmed yet, one way or the other, though.

I believe the idea behind Quantum Entanglement is that one particle becomes "entangled" with another, and the other particle becomes affected instantly by the one particle.

1 minute ago, jwally40 said:

Heck yeah... I need to get rid of my dang 144hz 4k monitor....

You must be from the future.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You must be from the future.

Yes I am... and I need to tell you not to run the newest windows update... dont do it...

Lol so many of you "why do we need x? doesn't make sense!"

i wonder what would have happened if maxwell thought electromagnetic induction was just a neat magic trick

I reckon nvidia engineers know what they're doing

Also "zero" latency is being taken literally here .. what they probably mean is less than 0.5ms latency (which was already achievable)

Also Quantum entanglement doesn't mean ftl communication because that would violate causality .. if anyone mentions anything regarding ftl travel and quantum entanglement, assume they know very little about what they're talking about, because they don't

1 minute ago, rhn94 said:

Also "zero" latency is being taken literally here .. what they probably mean is less than 0.5ms latency (which was already achievable)

I imagine it's zero-latency for humans, but to define it as such with no context is false information.

Again, you're taking it too literally and criticizing them for something so trivial .. here they are and they made a huge accomplishments and here we are saying "that's not what they meant, WRONG FALSE"

Again, you're taking it too literally and criticizing them for something so trivial .. here they are and they made a huge accomplishments and here we are saying "that's not what they meant, WRONG FALSE"

It's either zero-latency, or it isn't. Is it instant? No. Is it instant to us? Probably.

Companies need to exercise proper advertising, even if they've made a huge accomplishment. I don't care what the company has achieved - if they do something that isn't proper, I will point it out with no guilt.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

It's either zero-latency, or it isn't. Is it instant? No. Is it instant to us? Probably.

Companies need to exercise proper advertising, even if they've made a huge accomplishment. I don't care what the company has achieved - if they do something that isn't proper, I will point it out with no guilt.

You're obsessed over something trivial and inconsequential, something shown as a prototype behind closed doors, not something marketed for commercial use .. you're just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking

You're obsessed over something trivial and inconsequential, something shown as a prototype behind closed doors, not something marketed for commercial use .. you're just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking

I will respectfully disagree with you. This argument will go nowhere between you and I.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I will respectfully disagree with you. This argument will go nowhere between you and I.

clearly not with someone dedicated to shitting on something for no reason

38 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I believe the idea behind Quantum Entanglement is that one particle becomes "entangled" with another, and the other particle becomes affected instantly by the one particle.

26 minutes ago, rhn94 said:

Lol so many of you "why do we need x? doesn't make sense!"

i wonder what would have happened if maxwell thought electromagnetic induction was just a neat magic trick

I reckon nvidia engineers know what they're doing

Also Quantum entanglement doesn't mean ftl communication because that would violate causality .. if anyone mentions anything regarding ftl travel and quantum entanglement, assume they know very little about what they're talking about, because they don't

The reason why Quantum Entanglement doesn't inherently mean FTL communication is more complicated then simply "it violates causality". It's something to do with the fact that you cannot verify the data in Entanglement until you compare data from both the first and second particles (Basically, you run the test, then phone up "Jimmy" at test-site #2 and ask him what happened). You would need to use traditional communication methods (Radio, in person, etc) to verify the results, and because of that, you cannot transmit information using this method.

But of course, that hasn't been proven yet as fact. Most scientists hypothesize that you cannot use Entanglement, but that doesn't mean it's impossible - we haven't really been able to test that fully yet.

19 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I agree - it might seem like a small or innocuous difference, but it's an important distinction to make.

18 minutes ago, rhn94 said:

You know, NVIDIA could have avoided the criticism with one single, simple word:

"Nearly"

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Actually, the fact that humans can see lightning strikes proves that we can perceive the equivalent of at least 800hz

No. The glow left behind from an arc of lightning lasts more than 30 milliseconds. That's not proof of jack squat.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

its not. It is a high voltage high amp static DC charge. The Earth is the negative, the clouds are the positive. Current flows from negative to positive trying to equalize. The strike itself only happens once the energy levels and voltage levels is high enough to start turning the air into plasma. When this happens, the resistance of the air molecules drops like a rock, allowing massive amounts of current to flow between the ground and the clouds.

The lightning we can "see" is the air turned into plasma, littlerally turning into the 4th state and burning

I know, that's why I added the emoji at the end.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, DXMember said:

what do you think brain works on? pixie dust?

The human brain and senses actually do have a delay.

"now" is a couple of milliseconds behind reality, so far as we can tell.

Correction, 80 milliseconds, roughly.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'm pretty sure he was aware of that and trying to use it against my statement for some unknown reason.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Something could possibly be true zero latency, despite our physical ability to perceive such a phenomenon.

I fully agree with you on the particle level yes, but that just one bit worth of information. I cannot apply that principle to full blown rigid bodies, not even single molecules, not even single atoms.

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K