Uniprocessors vs Multiprocessors, NOT Cores

(Fairly newer member of the PC Community as of 2014 so bear with me)

So I was visiting Wiki's page about Xeon Processors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors here. I normally stick to consumer grade processors, but my work station at work has the Sandy Bridge E5-1607 CPU in it. I noted a while ago that it had no hyper threading, and only just recently found out it has no turbo boost, but that's not what I care about. (Well, I care because those would be somewhat helpful in a CAD environment but anyways) I noticed each architecture type has a standard, an entry and an efficient performance tag, as well as uni vs dual vs quad (and in later arch types octo) processor's. Every time I looked it up, 90% of the articles were about the cores, and the other 9% were speaking above my paygrade. Only one made some sense to me, and even then I'm still not clear. There was a minor mention of it in a recent post regarding the Xeon X3320. "... in the realm of Conroe (Core 2 and friends) "uniprocessor" (meaning everything on one die) chips "

Aside from what the different proceesor types are, this also begs the question (for me anyways). If Multiprocessor chips are so much better, why did Linus only get the E5-2699 v3 Eighteen core, dualprocessor CPU instead of the E5-4699 v3 which is an quadprocessor? (maybe if he had to pay for it sure I understand, but I thought they were donated?)

I'm not criticizing him or his decisions, I'm just trying to throw myself in a vast, expansive and ever growing world with only my self taught knowledge starting in 2014 from the vast interweb's and asking questions. It was LTT, as well as Paul From Paul's Hardware and Kyle From AwesomeSauce Network that got me inspired enough to build my own computer in  December 2014. I had no prior knowledge really of computers before that (I knew what hard drives, RAM and mice were lol) so I've got a lot of catching up to do!

Thank's in advance!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

That spec just has to do with how many of the chips you can run in a single system.

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

(Fairly newer member of the PC Community as of 2014 so bear with me)

So I was visiting Wiki's page about Xeon Processors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors here. I normally stick to consumer grade processors, but my work station at work has the Sandy Bridge E5-1607 CPU in it. I noted a while ago that it had no hyper threading, and only just recently found out it has no turbo boost, but that's not what I care about. (Well, I care because those would be somewhat helpful in a CAD environment but anyways) I noticed each architecture type has a standard, an entry and an efficient performance tag, as well as uni vs dual vs quad (and in later arch types octo) processor's. Every time I looked it up, 90% of the articles were about the cores, and the other 9% were speaking above my paygrade. Only one made some sense to me, and even then I'm still not clear. There was a minor mention of it in a recent post regarding the Xeon X3320. "... in the realm of Conroe (Core 2 and friends) "uniprocessor" (meaning everything on one die) chips "

Aside from what the different proceesor types are, this also begs the question (for me anyways). If Multiprocessor chips are so much better, why did Linus only get the E5-2699 v3 Eighteen core, dualprocessor CPU instead of the E5-4699 v3 which is an quadprocessor? (maybe if he had to pay for it sure I understand, but I thought they were donated?)

I'm not criticizing him or his decisions, I'm just trying to throw myself in a vast, expansive and ever growing world with only my self taught knowledge starting in 2014 from the vast interweb's and asking questions. It was LTT, as well as Paul From Paul's Hardware and Kyle From AwesomeSauce Network that got me inspired enough to build my own computer in  December 2014. I had no prior knowledge really of computers before that (I knew what hard drives, RAM and mice were lol) so I've got a lot of catching up to do!

Thank's in advance!

Because there IS NO E5-4699 V3

It's hard to get something which doesn't exist.

1 minute ago, sapphirethunder said:

There is an E5-4669 v3, probably just a typo. That's 18 cores, up to 4 CPUs.

3 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

That spec just has to do with how many of the chips you can run in a single system.

Wow. This makes a lot of sense actually. I saw many other posts talking about memory buses and all kinds of other things, but nothing as simple as this, Thank you!

2 minutes ago, sapphirethunder said:

http://ark.intel.com/products/85766 According to Intel's webste there is. Are they not commercially available?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

There is an E5-4669 v3, probably just a typo. That's 18 cores, up to 4 CPUs.

Well, if it was a typo and meant that, then it's simply because getting a quad-cpu board and 4x those cooled isn't exactly efficient.

Uni = 1

Multi = 2 or more

Xeon e5 1xxx 

Xeon e5 2xxx

Xeon e5 4xxx

Xeon e7 4xxx

Xeon e7 8xxx

The first number in the model name, represents the number of cpus it can be installed to a motherboard.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, sapphirethunder said:

Well, if it was a typo and meant that, then it's simply because getting a quad-cpu board and 4x those cooled isn't exactly efficient.

What would you even use four of those CPU's for, or even worse, eight of the E7-8895 v3's listed?

Just now, TVwazhere said:

What would you even use four of those CPU's for, or even worse, eight of the E7-8895 v3's listed?

Servers and cpu rendering.

Flawless. You guys are awesome!