UK Government comes up with its own e-sport tournament, tied to the 2016 Olympics

egames-640x499.jpg

Ahh, what wrong could happen when a government wants to govern more? On the chopping block this time is the booming e-sport competition arena, and as anything new and popular, the vultures of the state want to get their claws on the fresh meat. The most convenient "attack vector" of choice is the upcoming Summer Olympic Games in Rio later this year, organized by the shining example of high moral and incorruptibility -- the IOC.

So you want to get into e-sports, but you're worried that the myriad existing popular competitions can't match the grandeur and incorruptible respectability of something like the Olympic games. The UK government has a potential solution, today announcing the eGames as "an international gaming tournament where national pride is the prize."

That pride is apparently the only prize... the announcement makes it clear that "the eGames will be a medal only competition, with no prize money, but the opportunity to take home gold for your country." That might be a hard sell in a space that routinely attracts competitors with prize pools that can easily surpass $18 million, but it does line up with the lack of international prize money for Olympic athletes (local Olympic committees often give cash to gold medal winners, though).

The new eGames will be looking to bask in some reflected glory from the upcoming Rio Olympic Games, hosting its first competition as a two-day "pop up" in Rio during the Summer Olympics in August. Any nation will be welcome to field an "eTeam" (their term, not ours) in the eGames, but so far only four countries are confirmed as participants: Britain, Canada, Brazil, and the US.

Source 1: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/uk-government-sets-up-an-international-olympics-of-esports/

Source 2: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/04/06/egames-esports-rio-2016-olympics/

This could either be really good or a complete flop.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

This will be the first time I will watch Olympics.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

uh, what game are they playing?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It's a shame rio is gonna be a complete disaster. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Remember 7-1.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

15 minutes ago, zacRupnow said:

The Olympics is not for 'Sports' it is strictly for Athletes. Esports competitors are NOT athletes.

Times change, so do organized events. Though I do agree that the current state of E-sports still needs a few years to develop before governments start getting involved to a serious copacity.

Then again there are scholarships for esports right now.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

1 hour ago, Admiral Naismith said:

Times change, so do organized events. Though I do agree that the current state of E-sports still needs a few years to develop before governments start getting involved to a serious copacity.

Then again there are scholarships for esports right now.

I don't care about the state of the Esports organization or the 'real sports' arguments. I'm stating the static unchangeable by time fact that the Olympics is strictly for athletic events, and the fact that Esports competitors are not athletes. Esports may someday be athletic (Tron disc duel in VR comes to mind, also the movie Gamer), but it is not today. Esports competitors may also be athletes in their non-esports time, but they are not athletes for Esports.

Having an equally large Esports event to be along side the Olympics is fine, but Esports should not be in the Olympics until competitive video games become athletic.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

5 hours ago, zacRupnow said:

I don't care about the state of the Esports organization or the 'real sports' arguments. I'm stating the static unchangeable by time fact that the Olympics is strictly for athletic events, and the fact that Esports competitors are not athletes. Esports may someday be athletic (Tron disc duel in VR comes to mind, also the movie Gamer), but it is not today. Esports competitors may also be athletes in their non-esports time, but they are not athletes for Esports.

Having an equally large Esports event to be along side the Olympics is fine, but Esports should not be in the Olympics until competitive video games become athletic.

Can't agree with this enough.

Someone who's good at counter strike cannot be considered an Olypian

21 hours ago, iUSEMAC said:

The days are not far away when the Olympics will be conducted just for the E-sports.

123pv3.jpg

Again with this argument? What defines an "Actual sport"?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Remember when poetry and art used to be in the olympics?

Athletes only my ass. Mental strength should be counted as well. Good on the UK.

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

Again with this argument? What defines an "Actual sport"?

Anything except playing video games. 

I'd totally represent Norway in an olympic Rocket League tournament even if all I got was a flight to the beach and a shot at a shiny piece of metal.

But good games never make it to "big" esports, so I'm not holding my breath

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

1 hour ago, iUSEMAC said:

Anything except playing video games. 

So even a keyboard mashing competition is considered sports according to you? 

Pascal laptops guide

35 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

So even a keyboard mashing competition is considered sports according to you? 

Look, I'm not bashing video game competitions but I consider football, basketball, tennis, Racing etc all as 'Sports' (Recreational Activities) it's just my point of view. I don't think playing video games is a sport and it's more like competition rather than sports.

5 minutes ago, iUSEMAC said:

Look, I'm not bashing video game competitions but I consider football, basketball, tennis, Racing etc all as 'Sports' (Recreational Activities) it's just my point of view. I don't think playing video games is a sport and it's more like competition rather than sports.

Difference between competition and sport?

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

9 minutes ago, iUSEMAC said:

What makes a chess game a mind sport while video game are limited to being a "competition"? I'm still not convicened. 

Pascal laptops guide

12 minutes ago, iUSEMAC said:

Still can't find what makes a Esports video not a sport but chess is considered one.

Going by the Council of Europe definition that is referenced in the article:

"Sport (UK) or sports (US) are all forms of usually competitive physical activity or games which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators."

Yes it references the physical activity portion but doesn't enforce it (which is why chess is a sport). It has the enjoyment, skill set and entertainment for the audience. 

More importantly the article even considers electronic sports to be a "recent development", as per the history section.

Edit: You should have instead linked this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESports#Games

it does a better job at highlighting the arguments against and for Esports. The arguments against reflect the same "Esports is not a "true sport" and the jokingly attitude", which is just not enough proof in my opinion.

Pascal laptops guide

25 minutes ago, Serin said:

Difference between competition and sport?

I meant contests, like video game contests for a cash prize or a trophy.

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Still can't find what makes a Esports video not a sport but chess is considered one.

Going by the Council of Europe definition that is referenced in the article:

"Sport (UK) or sports (US) are all forms of usually competitive physical activity or games which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills while providing enjoyment to participants, and in some cases, entertainment for spectators."

Yes it references the physical activity portion but doesn't enforce it (which is why chess is a sport). It has the enjoyment, skill set and entertainment for the audience. 

More importantly the article even considers electronic sports to be a "recent development", as per the history section.

I just don't consider them as sports and it's my own perspective like you don't consider Chess as sports.