87-key Macro Keyboard

Wow, Luamacros is written in TurboDelphi which isn't a popular language, I doubt that anyone will contribute to that project. It's easier to rewrite everything using some mainstream language.

Working on this now!

Taran, I accepted your challange!

8 hours ago, TryArch said:

couldnt you have just gotten a razer keyboard and used the synapse software to have the secondary keyboard have separate functions to the primary keyboard?

Would be faster to code it, also would let you copy and paste it, and use it on any keyboard.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

That's a really good content, probably the most useful and interesting in a year or two...

but there's just one problem....

As Taran already pointed out this has already been completely covered by Tom Scott and is basically a rehash...

The excuse was the lac of Lua scrip sample codes... c'mon Lua has been used in basically every PC game modding community and there are literally thousands of samples around the net

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Being a programmer like I am I would like to see using AutoHotkey as a macro parser. Press a certain key (since I have an Apple keyboard I use F19, the key at the top-right corner) and type out a command, which is then parsed into a macro. This actually allows some complicated stuff being done since what is being called out there is essentially a mini command shell, and all macros are scripts that can take arguments.

Example:

F19 apt-get-update ENTER

apt-get update
apt-get -y dist-upgrade

F19 conf-make-install ENTER

CC=clang CXX=clang++ ./configure --prefix=/usr
make -j16 -k && make -j16 -k check && sudo make install

The Fruit Pie: Core i7-9700K ~ 2x Team Force Vulkan 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Gigabyte Z390 UD ~ XFX RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ WD Black 2TB ~ macOS Monterey amd64

The Warship: Core i7-10700K ~ 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3200 ~ Asus ROG Strix Z490-G Gaming Wi-Fi ~ PNY RTX 3060 12GB LHR ~ Samsung PM981 1.92TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
The ThreadStripper: 2x Xeon E5-2696v2 ~ 8x Kingston KVR 16GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC ~ Asus Z9PE-D16 ~ Sapphire RX 480 Reference 8GB ~ WD Black NVMe 1TB ~ Ubuntu Linux 20.04 amd64

The Question Mark? Core i9-11900K ~ 2x Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4-3000 @ DDR4-2933 ~ MSI Z590-A Pro ~ Sapphire Nitro RX 580 8GB ~ Samsung PM981A 960GB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Home server: Xeon E3-1231v3 ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 Unbuffered ECC ~ Asus P9D-M ~ nVidia Tesla K20X 6GB ~ Broadcom MegaRAID 9271-8iCC ~ Gigabyte 480GB SATA SSD ~ 8x Mixed HDD 2TB ~ 16x Mixed HDD 3TB ~ Proxmox VE amd64

Laptop 1: Dell Latitude 3500 ~ Core i7-8565U ~ NVS 130 ~ 2x Samsung 16GB DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM ~ Samsung 960 Pro 512GB ~ Samsung 850 Evo 1TB ~ Windows 11 Education amd64
Laptop 2: Apple MacBookPro9.2 ~ Core i5-3210M ~ 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM ~ Intel SSD 520 Series 480GB ~ macOS Catalina amd64

Taran, have you looked into solutions using either MIDI controllers or tablets like the iPad or Android devices. Like you, I'd quite like something to help with editing. Not so much for macros, but to have a more versatile control surface. Proper solutions are CRAZY expensive, but I've seen people do interesting things with MIDI keyboard and such. One thing that's handy to have is audio control on an analogue fader, as the audio controls in Premiere are just the _WORST_ for fine control. 

But I'm suprosed that he doesn't use a mechanical keyboard. 

Would you (Taran or anyone else in the same situation) ever consider using a product like the "stinky gaming footboard? 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

40 minutes ago, iPolymer said:

But I'm suprosed that he doesn't use a mechanical keyboard. 

He's tried them, he likes membranes better for day-to-day as he says they don't exacerbate his RSI as badly as mechanicals do. 

33 minutes ago, Nup said:

Would you (Taran or anyone else in the same situation) ever consider using a product like the "stinky gaming footboard? 

He has tried the stinky footboard, he said it was OK but not nearly enough functions.

Oh man, now I can trash talk in LoL faster. Thanks!

Nocturna(Main Computer): CPU: i7-4790K    GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G    MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer     PSU: CX500(For Now!)    Case: Enthoo Pro M    RAM: N/A(I don't really know anything other than it's 12GB total, it's a mixture...)    CPU Cooler: Stock i7-4790K Cooler(For Now!)

UPGRADES IN PROGRESS:

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2 80+ PLATINUM  RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2133 MHz   CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2  GPU: GTX 980 Ti  

There are more specialized, premium solutions:

The Access-IS 15x6

KdNiwzz.jpg

and

the Genovation CP48

DJXwzAD.jpg

Like the DIY ortholinear keyboards in this thread, these keypads are programmable in firmware. If Taran were to move his equipment to another workstation, he would be required to migrate all of his personalized software to use use his personalized macro keyboard. When all inputs are coming directly from the device, rather than through software, moving stations would be a simple "plug-and-play" experience. Plug in your macro pad into any PC--hurray! It works! 

In addition, modifiers in ansi are unnecessary in macropad use. Why have one long key when you can have two "letter sized" keys?

axDq5m8.jpg?1

Unlike the Access-IS and the CP48, the planck and preonic have a some under-utilized space to make for a more traditional "spacebar."

na5U6QV.png?1

Can't have that. The combined space could easily fit another switch.

While the CP48 comes with relegendable caps, to many, they look cheap. For a more permanent solution, Max Keyboards and WASD offer custom key cap printing. With it, you can achieve something to this effect:

Gr1w4xc.jpg

Keep in mind, these are PREMIUM solutions and is much more costly than repurposing a $15-20 dollar membrane. 

--

note: Access-IS is probably cheapest for those in the US on ebay. CP48 is available on amazon.

If anyone finds cheaper sources, please bring attention to them.

auto hotkeys is amazing, its exactly what i was looking for to rebind some hotkeys.

Question: does it have to be in LUA, and Delphi programming language? its far easyer to make it in Phyton / Visual Basic / C#

I'm new to this kind of stuff, so how could I go about making it do certain key presses?

What I want to do is 1. Binds in CS:GO (Buying, voice callouts, etc) 2. Having multiple paste buttons 3. Auto-enter text.

Not sure what and what isn't possible, so thank you in advance. 

Does Taran play Terran?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

13 hours ago, Pleanuts said:

Unlike the Access-IS and the CP48, the planck and preonic have a some under-utilized space to make for a more traditional "spacebar."

na5U6QV.png?1

Can't have that. The combined space could easily fit another switch.

No "could", "can".

When you assemble it you can decide whether you solder 2 switches or one in the middle with a large cap.

on the access-is keyboards:

I have one laying around here, but never used it, because the software to program it is only windows, and the open source TMK or other firmwares are leaps and bounds beyond the Access-IS, with the possibilities you have. 

I feel like the community can help with my problem: 

I want to have a custom keyboard for CSGO buy scripts (because why not), but which keyboard should I invest in? The Planck keyboards (as shown by Barnacules) or the re purposing a membrane keyboard solution?  What are the benefits and drawbacks? Premium product feel, key switches/membrane, etc.

There is another great program called GlovePIE. It can do a lot of stuff with many input devices, including mice, keyboards, joysticks, voice, even Wii Remotes (that's why it's known for). You can program it with code or with a GUI mode that will make the code for you. At the moment their website is having a few problems, so here is a download link for the latest version availalble when I wrote this. If anyone who reads this needs help for their code, they can ask me to make some code for them.

21 hours ago, AWF_Noone said:

Is there a way to do this with a Mac?

Yes!  I found a way last night how to do this with my macbook Pro and a wired mac keyboard.  Then software is called Controllermate.  there is a trial version, but to get all the features is 25 dollars I believe.   It also can change keybinds based on what program is open, and can do MIDI messages as well.  I have been rebinding the keys for my audio production software like Pro Tools.

https://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

Awesome video, as seen by the ratio of views to likes :)

I'm really into these hacky type of things lately, such as Rasp Pi and would love to see more content around them.

Great hosting Taran :D 

Edit: I checked out the luamacros git repo and saw 97.5% Pascal... nope :P

1 hour ago, ireidt said:

Yes!  I found a way last night how to do this with my macbook Pro and a wired mac keyboard.  Then software is called Controllermate.  there is a trial version, but to get all the features is 25 dollars I believe.   It also can change keybinds based on what program is open, and can do MIDI messages as well.  I have been rebinding the keys for my audio production software like Pro Tools.

https://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

You are amazing.  Thats exactly what I need.  Im going to use a second keyboard for Logic.  Thank you sooooo much!

4 minutes ago, AWF_Noone said:

You are amazing.  Thats exactly what I need.  Im going to use a second keyboard for Logic.  Thank you sooooo much!

All good ask if you have any questions on the software.  still learning it, but hey I may know the answer :P